• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John Owners

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any place where a lot of Westin St. John owners congregate and where direct exchanges can be discussed? I know there's a classified section here on TUG and there's redweek.com but those do not permit any discussion. St. John owners are usually shortchanged by the number of StarOptions they have to exchange but perhaps more equitable arrangements would be possible if there way some way to connect with other SVO owners.

I heard there was a group of St, John owners but it was not very active. I don't remember the link anymore. If anyone has it, please send it to me. I did get registered to use it some time ago but lsot the URL.

JMS

Reaction score
I would be more than willing to discuss trading with other Westin St. John owners. We own one week at the Westin St. John.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It may be worth looking at setting up a Westin St. John owners group on Yahoo Groups. About 5 years back, one was setup for the Wyndham Bluebeach's Beach Club on St. Thomas and we now have over 520 owners -20%+ of the total number as members. It's an incredible resource.

John

Bill4728

Reaction score
Timeshareforums has also offered a space for TS owners to setup a private page for owner groups .

PS I'm moving this to the hotel based board were Starwood owner hang out.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I would be interested - while I was at WSJ - I told a few owners about TUG, but I don't think any ever explored when they got home. Many WSJ owners have a lifestyle priority that doesn't include internet groups. There are a couple of dozen on TUG - at least in the search field.

I know of some interest in setting up a group to discuss issues (e.g. the failed refurbish project - unit problems). Perhaps, if this discussion group is set-up, we could let other WSJ owners know while we are there.

I doubt SVO/SVN would ever let other owners know about this - but that would be useful.

I would like to find other WSJ owners of unit #3410 (I know of one other).

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know of some interest in setting up a group to discuss issues (e.g. the failed refurbish project - unit problems). Perhaps, if this discussion group is set-up, we could let other WSJ owners know while we are there.

Why don't you talk about those here? Anything other than setting up or advertising exchanges seems to be acceptable.

JMS

Reaction score
I agree that would seem to be fine. I know the last time we went, Oct. 2006, the furniture was looking a little worn out etc. It was still a great time. We often had the entire beach to ourselves in the early evening so that was really nice for our family.

Bill4728

Reaction score
You are welcomed to talk about WSJ here on TUG. But if you wanted to do ads for direct exchanges, rental, ect they aren't allowed in this part of the BBS. That why I suggested TS4ms

JMS

Reaction score
Are we allowed to PM each other about possible direct exchanges as long as we do not post that on the bbs?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why don't you talk about those here? Anything other than setting up or advertising exchanges seems to be acceptable.

They have been discussed here - unfortunately, the WSJ TUG representation is a very small percentage of the WSJ owners (not even a blip).

When I bought WSJ - I had some very helpful advice from other WSJ owners (heck, I thought I was buying float week/unit when I ended up with a fixed week/unit), but otherwise it just becomes an issue discussion without impact with such low representation.

btw, A few WSJ owners hang out on the Carribbean board.

As to using TUG -
First, I have found that even signing up for TUG (even for free) is a difficult step for some. I have a workmate here (WKORV-N buyer) - and computer-saavy - who I have told about TUG repeatedly - and I doubt they ever showed. Some peoples priorities are just different. I am a researcher by profession - so I enjoy researching things.

I really do not like TUG's policy on the discussion for direct exchanges (or what has been set-up for exchanges - it is just not useful). Sorry, but I just do not agree with it. I also do not agree with the LMR being set at $700 and 45 days..., but that is another story. Howvere, the LMR example is a fair one - like many groups that are entrenched, change is very difficult - and I hear that there is some legal arguments about an open exchange forum - and I love to challenge those... but I don't bother.

As you are probably aware there was an attempt to set-up a direct exchange board outside of TUG, but it did not produce a direct exchange.

I am not sure of the solution here - to me it doesn't matter in perspective to other things - we love our WSJ unit, even with a couch that is unusable. A Tugger put me in contact with a WSJ rep - and I along with another #3410 owner wrote letters to complain - we will see if it gets resolved by June (hopefully).

That is the value of TUG for us (information). I wish i could say something like - 'I have a WSJ unit that I would like to direct exchange, and here are the details...' (I don't - so please don't delete...).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There was a private Starwood exchange Board that a Tugger, set up a couple of years ago, and there were lots of requests for St. John exchanges, but there were no actual exchanges that ever occured (that I know of - I haven't checked for awhile.)

St. John owners usually seem to use, or rent their weeks, and you can't blame them for that. St John weeks can be rented for so much $$$ that many owners probably don't consider an exchange a good value. Even Harborside and Maui owners were unable to arrange private exchanges with St. John owners. Also, many of the exchange requests were owners of lower demand resorts, requesting exchanges for high demand resort, and there wasn't much market for that. There were a lot of exchange request posted - but little or no action.

*In a post below, it's reported that this board is no longer active.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I really do not like TUG's policy on the discussion for direct exchanges (or what has been set-up for exchanges - it is just not useful).

Dave - I agree, and about a mo. ago when I paid my TUG dues for the year I volunteered to help with some kind of an inter-active exchange board on TUG that would get more activity than the current TUG exchange "board." The powers-that-be responded that something better for private exchanges was in the works, but they weren't ready to make an announcement yet. I suspect that they will work on it once the new Ads board is fully operational.

JMS

Reaction score
Was that exchange board set up here or somewhere else?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was that exchange board set up here or somewhere else?

It is a private board set up by a Tugger - it wasn't part of TUG.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Are we allowed to PM each other about possible direct exchanges as long as we do not post that on the bbs?
Yes - and I get them from time-to-time, but we plan on using ours for the next few years at least.

As the OP said - the WSJ SOs are almost useless for exchanging within SVN (likely the worse). Only renting (of which much more can be recouped as compare to the MFs), and direct exchanges are reasonable.

The SVO WSJ model for fixed weeks/units for the Hillside (VG) villas, with low SO values, really creates an interesting gridlock when it comes to exchanging within or into WSJ. This is one reason why the new BV villas are float and fixed (and Voluntary btw).

JMS

Reaction score
thanks, I wish we had known that WSJ was so in demand before we rented our 2007 week.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There is a private Starwood exchange Board that Tugger, --------- set up a couple of years ago, and there were lots of requests for St. John exchanges, but there were no actual exchanges that ever occured (that I know of - I haven't checked for awhile.)

St. John owners usually seem to use, or rent their weeks, and you can't blame them for that. St John weeks can be rented for so much $$$ that many owners probably don't consider an exchange a good value. Even Harborside and Maui owners were unable to arrange private exchanges with St. John owners. Also, many of the exchange requests were owners of lower demand resorts, requesting exchanges for high demand resort, and there wasn't much market for that. There were a lot of exchange request posted - but little or no action.

Denise - you may want to edit your post - The direct board went belly-up (due to no exchanges) - I am not sure that person wants to advertise it was him (if I recall correctly).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
thanks, I wish we had known that WSJ was so in demand before we rented our 2007 week.

It depends on unit type and week. I have seen late summer - studios go cheaply. Why would this have been useful - to get higher rent value? What do you own - how much did you get for rent (if you don't mind me asking)?. We own a 2Bd TH - week 24 (disclosure for fairness). We have no plans for renting or exchanging for a few years at least, but it would be good info to know what the units rent for.

With the new BV units - I would think that getting an exchange into WSJ will be easier (supply and demand) - and this is likely to be reflected in the rental prices.

JMS

Reaction score
We own a one bedroom, in week 40, and it was rented out by us for less than our $1100 MF because we just ran an ad in our local paper. We did not know about TUG then or all the other websites, like: redweek.com etc. I would hope next time to get more than the $900 which we got. At least enough to cover the MF. Maybe I am dreaming. We have not decided what to do with our 2008 week yet.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We own a one bedroom, in week 40, and it was rented out by us for less than our $1100 MF because we just ran an ad in our local paper. We did not know about TUG then or all the other websites, like: redweek.com etc. I would hope next time to get more than the $900 which we got. At least enough to cover the MF. Maybe I am dreaming. We have not decided what to do with our 2008 week yet.

Yes - I agree - you likely could have gotten more ($1400? - assuming $200/day would be a reasonable price for WSJ). Be aware - that there are STJ villas (non-WSJ) that can be rented relatively inexpensively - so that offers some competition. But TS-wise - I think there is only one other TS on STJ, and WSJ has a great reputation.

We can't wait for our next week in a few months - but first... Kierland and Spring Training in a few weeks!

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ may not rent/exchange that easily

I consider myself a fairly well-informed person on WSJ and SVO. However, I've been trying to rent/exchange my 3 bedroom WSJ for a couple of months, now. (Please don't construe this as an ad; I'd just like to relate my experience).

We own 2 3 bedroom weeks at WSJ, week 17 and week 18. Due to my sister-in-law's family's desire to go to Harborside this summer after school lets out in NY, we've been trying to trade/exchange our unit. As 8 people are traveling (family of 3 and family of 5) we need at least a 2 bedroom lockout. This is what I've tried so far with no luck

1) Gave up our week 17 reservation for 2007 to waitlist for 2007 Thanksgiving week; was afraid of being totally shut out of WSJ with no week to rent, so last month took a week 47 WSJ (starts Saturday after Thanksgiving);

2) Started calling at 8:00 a.m. (now 9:00 a.m.) every morning since 8 months out from our first possible arrival date (June 22, so started calling in November); no availability so far thru SVO;

3) Posted direct exchange ads here on TUG, Redweek, VRBO, MyresortNetwork, etc.

4) Posted rental ad here on TUG in the hope that we would be able to rent our WSJ week and use the funds to rent a Harborside week.

5) Emailed many Harborside owners with rental listings asking about the possibilities for exchange.

So far, WSJ is batting 0 for 0. We thought we had an exchange, but the owner at Harborside appears to have decided to rent instead. I spent about a week not calling SVO waiting for her to confirm, my mistake. So, I'm still calling every morning trying to get in on points.

YES, I'd love to do a dedicated WSJ board and I've tried logging in to the other board mentioned by Dave, but for some reason, they don't like my browser (AOL), and I'm never able to get on. Therefore, I can't start a WSJ blog/site. I'd be happy to organize one if anyone would like to offer suggestions.

Lori

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Lori -

No luck so far... sorry to hear.

First suggestion - get rid of AOL - not just for the reason you state. There are so many better ISP providers out there. I know you probably have had your account for a while - but AOL lacks in so many ways - you would probably do better with another (almost any other) provider.

I went to the other board - and I couldn't find the place that a WSJ would best fit, but I didn't spend a lot of time exploring.

It seems that because of your situation - and the constraints of exchanging (direct or SVO) are certainly an issue.

I am not sure what resolve to your issue you could best expect - I guess that going the rental route up front (weeks 17-18 together) and risking that the villa could be rented for a fair price - would have worked best (outside of TUG). Unfortunately that takes some faith because most renters are less likely to rent out really far in advance.

This is a great example that even for a WSJ owner of a sweet (and very hard to come by) villa during good weeks is constrained due to limited ability to exchange within your season - and/or the low relative low WSJ SOs as compared to other properties.

Another problem - as I see it - is due to the uniqueness of your 3Bd villa that the potential renter pool is smaller. I would guess that most people would want a 2-4 person rental. I say these in realistic numbers of renters - meaning for our 2Bd TH - I believe it best fits 4 adults (not 6) - with a couple of potential rugrats thrown in.

I wonder if the new BV will help or hinder your (our) situation in the future?

Good luck - I have faith that it will work out for you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise - you may want to edit your post - The direct board went belly-up (due to no exchanges) - I am not sure that person wants to advertise it was him (if I recall correctly).

Thanks Dave - I edited it.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use Starpoints

If getting to Westin St. John is really on your list to do and you can't get a trade why not use some starpoints 48,000 will get 5th night free on SPG in the summer non-peak and 64,000 peak or 12000-16000 per night with no blackout dates. You'll be staying at the hotel part but if you need to be there why not spend some starpoints.:cool:The Hotel part is right on the beach.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
If getting to Westin St. John is really on your list to do and you can't get a trade why not use some starpoints 48,000 will get 5th night free on SPG in the summer non-peak and 64,000 peak or 12000-16000 per night with no blackout dates. You'll be staying at the hotel part but if you need to be there why not spend some starpoints.:cool:The Hotel part is right on the beach.

8 people would need 3 or 4 rooms at those rates. That is pretty high!

What is "LMR" mentioned above?

I think a real discussion place would allow better deals for everyone. It could (should?) be limited to owners (no brokers) and perhpas just for exchanges to leavee profit concerns out. I know many people would be willing to do better exchanges (Staroptions wise) such as say a 2BR Maui for a 2BR WSJ, regardless of season, three way exchanges to other high Staroption places, or the like. I could get 3 1BR in Harborside in the summer with sufficient forethought (too late this year for Lori so I am not trying to gain anything here!) , but both parties would have to work hard and have a place to even find each other.

I am searching for a place to do discuss something like that but haven't had the time to set something up myself. Perhaps a Yahoo group would be easy enough. I'm on a business trip but when I get back I may look into it if no one beats me to it.

There are two problems with St. John - one is the number of StarOptions and the other is the fixed weeks. I may have something to trade, but not for the particular weeks an owner has. Hopefully the new units will alleviate the issue.

Does anybody know what is the reasonig for forbidding direct echange discussions on this board? Other boards, like the Disney board, have them so I doubt it is something of a legal nature.

Last edited: