• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Hi all - we will be heading down to STJ in August and we are considering purchasing a studio from Westin directly. If we do that, can they roll our resale purchase into the studio? We are thinking if we do this, there is more benefits to it or is that just silly thinking and we should look again on the resale market? We learned a lot on our last purchase (many thanks to all of you) and are trying to see the pros/cons of this approach

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
David - thanks for posting all the info from the meeting! Looks like Bill and I will be coming this year! Hope to see y'all and any other tuggers who are at the resort!

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Hi all - we will be heading down to STJ in August and we are considering purchasing a studio from Westin directly. If we do that, can they roll our resale purchase into the studio? We are thinking if we do this, there is more benefits to it or is that just silly thinking and we should look again on the resale market? We learned a lot on our last purchase (many thanks to all of you) and are trying to see the pros/cons of this approach
My understanding is that if you make a developer purchase of at least $10,000, they will requalify one resale week as if you’d purchased it from the developer. I think it’s basically one week requalified for each $10K spent. I haven’t done it personally and I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong.

Personally, I think there is value in having fully qualified ownerships, and so I think the strategy of buying resale and then making a small additional developer purchase to get the resale week qualified is a good one. But if you like to just stay in the resort you own every year and not use your ownership elsewhere, then the benefits of requalifying your resale week are smaller.

if it were me, I’d agree on a price and benefits (“free” Bonvoy points, etc., that they throw in with the deal) and then bring up the resale week and tell them you want that requalified as part of the deal. Maybe they’ll see it in your ownership and bring it up themselves. I’m just worried that you’ll get a worse deal if they know you’re eager to requalify the resale week. Let them be desperate to sell to you, don’t be desperate to buy.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My understanding is that if you make a developer purchase of at least $10,000, they will requalify one resale week as if you’d purchased it from the developer. I think it’s basically one week requalified for each $10K spent. I haven’t done it personally and I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong.
$10K for the first week and another $5K for each week you want to requalify. So if one wants to requalify three resale weeks, it would be $20K. I think amounts are higher in Hawaii,

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
$10K for the first week and another $5K for each week you want to requalify. So if one wants to requalify three resale weeks, it would be $25K. I think amounts are higher in Hawaii,
I'm not sure I'm understanding, wouldn't it then be $20K for three weeks ($10K + $5K + 5K)? Or is it actually $15K for the first week?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not sure I'm understanding, wouldn't it then be $20K for three weeks ($10K + $5K + 5K)? Or is it actually $15K for the first week?
I fixed my post.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
$10K for the first week and another $5K for each week you want to requalify. So if one wants to requalify three resale weeks, it would be $20K. I think amounts are higher in Hawaii,
So to requalify 3 weeks you need to spend 20K on new product/unit? Or is the 10/5/5 in addition to the cost of the new unit?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David - thanks for posting all the info from the meeting! Looks like Bill and I will be coming this year! Hope to see y'all and any other tuggers who are at the resort!

Hey!
Look forward to seeing you guys.
A lot to catch up on.
We got a great Biz class ticket - hopefully, the flight will exist when it comes time.
We will be fully vaccinated- be interesting to see what the USVI requirements will be in June.
Covid tested?
BVI still closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how they handle 53-week years at WSJ-VGV? We have resale week 51 sat-sat and I was wondering if it would be (or could be) shifted to week 52 (with week 52 shifted to week 53) next year in 2022. Or does week 51 always and forever = week 51? Thanks for any insight!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Does anyone know how they handle 53-week years at WSJ-VGV? We have resale week 51 sat-sat and I was wondering if it would be (or could be) shifted to week 52 (with week 52 shifted to week 53) next year in 2022. Or does week 51 always and forever = week 51? Thanks for any insight!

I just picked up a resale week 51 as well, though it's a sun-sun so I won't have this issue until 2023. I'm fairly certain these were sold as event weeks covering Christmas, so I'm expecting mine to shift to week 52 in 2023; I would expect yours to shift to week 52 in 2022. I've been seeing my fixed week VGV reservations showing up at the 18-month point on the Vistana website, so you should be able to tell on June 17th this year whether it's starting December 17th next year and you should know for sure on June 24th if it's starting December 24th next year.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
If they are event weeks like other vistana resorts, then week 51 must have Christmas day and week 52 must have new years day. Like this year, my Friday check in week 52 at WKORVN is 12/31 to 1/7 but my Sunday check week 52 is 12/26 to 1/2.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

CHCH

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is the first year I am considering renting a vehicle on St. John for my annual stay at the Westin. Question: if I rent from O’Connor on-site, am I guaranteed a parking spot each day? My unit is in Bay Vista.
Thank you for any help.
Best, CH

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Hi Everyone,
This is the first year I am considering renting a vehicle on St. John for my annual stay at the Westin. Question: if I rent from O’Connor on-site, am I guaranteed a parking spot each day? My unit is in Bay Vista.
Thank you for any help.
Best, CH
We have never had a problem parking at WSJ...and we never rent from O'Conner. We rent from an in-town outfit, where we get to use their parking long when going in to Cruz Bay.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Look forward to seeing you guys.
A lot to catch up on.
We got a great Biz class ticket - hopefully, the flight will exist when it comes time.
We will be fully vaccinated- be interesting to see what the USVI requirements will be in June.
Covid tested?
BVI still closed.

we arrive the 6th! and. have friends coming this year. all of us will also be fully vaccinated, so lets plan to get together. Successfully got our big car from Amalie! ready to come! I feel like I have only seen the inside of my house and a grocery store this year - and plenty of outside labor on the farm, but that doesn't count!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I booked the room and reserved the rental car through Amalie. My friends had one job......call Amalie and give the CC to secure the reservation for the jeep. Because they are “so busy” they never called Amalie. So I’m looking for other rental cars on St Thomas to shop for food and drive to the ferry. Any other car rental places that will pick us up at the airport and allow us to take the car to St John? Road side assistance and parking on St. John would be great as well

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
@CPNY try Paradise or L&L Jeep

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for any help.
Best, CH
There is ample parking at the resort.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
What time should one plan on leaving WSJ to catch a 1pm flight?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What time should one plan on leaving WSJ to catch a 1pm flight?
9 am Westin ferry if it is a weekend flight. 10 am Cruz bay is cutting it close.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
9 am Westin ferry if it is a weekend flight. 10 am Cruz bay is cutting it close.
I was planning on taking the Westin ferry. Eesh 9am? Maybe I’ll take the 3 PM connecting and give myself some time to enjoy coffee in the morning

SRG53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
St John Coral Vista
ST. John Sunset Bay
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for any help.
Best, CH
We have rented many times from OConner and like them. Never had a problem finding parking in February

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was planning on taking the Westin ferry. Eesh 9am? Maybe I’ll take the 3 PM connecting and give myself some time to enjoy coffee in the morning
Check with the resort to see what time they are running the ferry. It varies depending on time of year. We had a non stop at 2:30 and we arrived quite early because of the feet schedule. The later one Left us without enough time before departure.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Check with the resort to see what time they are running the ferry. It varies depending on time of year. We had a non stop at 2:30 and we arrived quite early because of the feet schedule. The later one Left us without enough time before departure.
Thank you! I tend to always run with tight timelines. I’m guessing I cannot do that in St John. I was on a 2pm flight but they moved it to 1pm. I switched to a 3pm connecting to give myself more time in the morning. But if I need to leave so early for a 3pm flight also, I may as well just stick with the direct.