• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Princeville: parking/occupancy fees, beach acc

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hello TUGgers,

Can anyone here advise as to what fees I can expect exchanging (via II) into a studio at Westin Princeville? Is there a daily parking fee? Daily occupancy tax? If yes, does anyone here know the $ amount?

Also- what is the status of beach access? I understand the St Regis is no longer a St Regis but guests at Westin Princeville can still use the beach at the resort which is the same luxury resort but with a new name. Is that correct?

Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Self-parking is free.
Taxes will be in the range of $10-$15 per night.
The beach at the hotel is nothing special, and is not within walking distance - I'd pass on it. When we stay in Princeville we like to drive to Hanalei Bay, Lumaha'i, Tunnels and Ke'e. You need a reservation for Tunnels and Ke'e. Ke'e is a my favorite place in Hawaii for snorkeling and swimming with a very easy beach entry for people of all ages and abilities, and lots of fish.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Self-parking is free.
The beach at the hotel is nothing special, and is not within walking distance - I'd pass on it. When we stay in Princeville we like to drive to Hanalei Bay, Lumaha'i, Tunnels and Ke'e. You need a reservation for Tunnels and Ke'e. Ke'e is a my favorite place in Hawaii for snorkeling and swimming with a very easy beach entry for people of all ages and abilities, and lots of fish.

Thank you!

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
I won't repeat Denise's correct assessment of the daily fees. And I agree that the beach at the new 1Hotel (not open yet, but if you can park legally somewhere along the main road, you can hike down to it) where the St Regis used to be is seriously meh. From WPORV, there's a beach path down to Wyllie's Beach which is prettier. Anini Beach is a short drive (good snorkeling!) as is Hanalei Pier. You didn't mention what season you'll be visiting, but the ocean on the north shore in the winter is extremely dangerous. If the conditions are good, you can swim/snorkel at Anini Beach (it's protected by a reef), but you really shouldn't swim or snorkel anywhere else on that side of the island between November and April. Conditions on the south side are much better. Lumahai and Tunnels are beautiful to look at, but parking is very limited any time of year; leave the resort early in the morning to get a spot.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I won't repeat Denise's correct assessment of the daily fees. And I agree that the beach at the new 1Hotel (not open yet, but if you can park legally somewhere along the main road, you can hike down to it) where the St Regis used to be is seriously meh. From WPORV, there's a beach path down to Wyllie's Beach which is prettier. Anini Beach is a short drive (good snorkeling!) as is Hanalei Pier. You didn't mention what season you'll be visiting, but the ocean on the north shore in the winter is extremely dangerous. If the conditions are good, you can swim/snorkel at Anini Beach (it's protected by a reef), but you really shouldn't swim or snorkel anywhere else on that side of the island between November and April. Conditions on the south side are much better. Lumahai and Tunnels are beautiful to look at, but parking is very limited any time of year; leave the resort early in the morning to get a spot.

Mid April is the time of the visit.

thanks for the reply!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since you are staying on the north shore, I would not automatically dismiss all north shore beaches in April, because it all depends on the current conditions. Also - the beaches I mentioned are much closer to Princeville. Ke'e, Hanalei Bay, and Tunnels have lifeguards, the conditions will be posted, and they won't let you swim if it's not safe. However, if it's very rainy on the north shore, you can often drive south and find sun at Poipu.

The path down from Princeville to Anini is very steep and slippery when wet - I've done it twice, but don't plan to in the future. I also don't find the beach area there to be very appealing.

DuckinCA

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
I own here and have never taken the “path” down the beach. We go annually since they opened. We drive to Anini or Hanalei.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Wow, 1Hotel still not open. Looked it up and besides a stupid name it is going to be unbelievably expensive. When it was the St. Regis we would go just to have a ride there and back, a decent beach, no parking for us, a nice hotel for food etc. But second the other suggestions for beaches.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, 1Hotel still not open. Looked it up and besides a stupid name it is going to be unbelievably expensive. When it was the St. Regis we would go just to have a ride there and back, a decent beach, no parking for us, a nice hotel for food etc. But second the other suggestions for beaches.
I believe it opens February 15th.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a permit is required at tunnels. Plan to visit the beach next week.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I don’t think a permit is required at tunnels. Plan to visit the beach next week.
I believe one is required, and @DeniseM's post above suggests the same.

Please let us know your experience.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven’t been there yet so the source of my belief is a country employee who has been involved in the island parking permit system. Will report back on our experience

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I walked down the trail to Anini on Wednesday and it was as dry as I remember over the last 15 years. There is still a wet spot, however, about halfway down. I confirmed with the concierge that an elderly person slipped on the path Christmas day and injured her leg. The resort is discouraging guests from using the trail.
I was surprised at the number of people who apparently are using the trail to the beach after sunset.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We haven’t been there yet so the source of my belief is a country employee who has been involved in the island parking permit system. Will report back on our experience
Thanks. It's a fantastic snorkeling beach; I've been there several times. But as others have said, the north shore beaches are dangerous during winter months.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amen. We don’t turn our back on the ocean here in the winter. We still have vivid memories of the search along the ocean edge of the property most of the night for the journalist who has swept away by a rogue wave on Anini in January of 2021. We listened to authorities interview the man that attempted to save her the next morning.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I believe one is required, and @DeniseM's post above suggests the same.

Please let us know your experience.
You don’t need a permit to park at Tunnels. We were there in August-September 2022 and parked several times at the side streets next to tunnels (best around 8 am or after lunch) or park at the Haena county park (not the state park). Always got a parking spot.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The road check is right beyond Tunnels at Haena State Park entrance (iirc) on other side of main beach parking.
See link above for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The road check is right beyond Tunnels at Haena State Park entrance (iirc) on other side of main beach parking.
See link above for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Road check is presently at the entrance to Ke’e. We had another awe inspiring morning at the beach this week.
There is limited free parking if you choose to use the beach at Haena State Park but use of Ke’e requires an entry pass even if you walk in. Admission is free to those holding a valid Hawaii ID and their family.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We walked from Shearwater over to Westin and walked down to the beach from Westin and the path smelled of over-ripe mangos and papayas laying on the ground. It was nauseating. The beach was as Denise said, not worthy of our time, but I just wanted to walk, so we did it, but with that odor, I don't see me doing it again.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Self-parking is free.
We were told that there is a parking fee of $20 a day for non owners. Taxes( state, and county) will amount to about $15 per night.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We walked from Shearwater over to Westin and walked down to the beach from Westin and the path smelled of over-ripe mangos and papayas laying on the ground. It was nauseating. The beach was as Denise said, not worthy of our time, but I just wanted to walk, so we did it, but with that odor, I don't see me doing it again.
We walked down the public path last week on a rainy day, and didn’t notice the smell and found the beach (Pu’u Poa ),in the same condition as many. keep in mind that the land between the west boundary of the hotel property and thePlantation Trail to the west (other than the paved path up to the Hanalei Resort) is essentially jungle.
We did observe that the hotel has a long way to go before opening on February 15 to get their pool scene along the beach ready for prime time. They will need help from the A-Team!
We find the view of Bali Hai from the beach stunning, rain or shine.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were told that there is a parking fee of $20 a day for non owners.

Nope - If your reservation is a timeshare reservation there is no fee - if you rent from Vistana/Marriott, they can charge you.

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received our folio for our first week here and the taxes are about $15 as stated and as Denise said there is no parking fee on an exchange.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amen. We don’t turn our back on the ocean here in the winter. We still have vivid memories of the search along the ocean edge of the property most of the night for the journalist who has swept away by a rogue wave on Anini in January of 2021. We listened to authorities interview the man that attempted to save her the next morning.
Correction: the tragedy occurred in January 2019, not 2021.