• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea: Is This Accurate?

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes this is absolutely correct from a 1 bedroom Nanea owner. That should have been the red flag for the OP. We bought from developer before Nanea opened and also because we were in the market for a studio as a way of extending our Maui stays. We liked the Westin’s studios vs the MVC studio layout and appliances (we own 2 weeks 2 bdrm OF at MOC- Napili). They weren’t offering studios at Nanea and we’re told no oceanfront 1 bedrooms either. So we got the 1 bdrm resort view. It’s been okay but getting reservations is difficult because there are only very few 1 bedrooms at Nanea (I do already have my 2021 reservation in only because I’ve learned how to work the Westin online system). If I had to do it over again for the 1 bedroom, I’d have purchased at KOR north (but they weren’t promoting those and I didn’t know about TUG and resales at that time). Much more availabilities and actually like their 1 bedroom layout better also. Plus you can get oceanfront options.

Just a thought, since you bought retail it might be worth calling the sales office and find out about a trade in for a Westin Flex which would give you the ability to book at the other two Westin properties in studios. A lot of people are against going direct, but this could be an easy way to trade up but get credit for what you already bought. I'd be curious to see what they would charge in addition and it may be very little. I'm sure if you get a quote from them and post here other TUGbbs folks will give you their opinion. Good luck on this one (I would be also unhappy with a 1 bedroom, because there are so few of them..)

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Just a thought, since you bought retail it might be worth calling the sales office and find out about a trade in for a Westin Flex which would give you the ability to book at the other two Westin properties in studios. A lot of people are against going direct, but this could be an easy way to trade up but get credit for what you already bought. I'd be curious to see what they would charge in addition and it may be very little. I'm sure if you get a quote from them and post here other TUGbbs folks will give you their opinion. Good luck on this one (I would be also unhappy with a 1 bedroom, because there are so few of them..)
I could be wrong so someone correct me if needed...

My understanding (based on my last owners update) is that it wouldn't cost anything but you'd have to buy about $10k worth of more points in the flex program. Nanea, if that's where you want to go, is worth more, and they want your week into the flex pool. Keep in mind that in the flex, from 12-8 months you can only book in the rooms that are deeded into the flex and not the entire resort. There aren't many in each of the Maui resorts, maybe a little more from Nanea. And if you are a few days late, you can bet the Maui flex rooms are gone, whereas I don't have any issues for around 10 months except for maybe presidents week in Feb, and maybe 4th of July if I wait a couple days. I don't have access to week 51-52 until 8 months, when they're gone anyways..

Also, the studios at the other two are somewhat obtainable at 8-months, exception being popular holiday weeks.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
OK, thank you all for the help. I'm now thinking about a 2-br. oceanfront at the Westin Kaanapali Resort Villas. That is 176,700 biennial points, an oceanfront Kaanapali unit is guaranteed for the use years, and my understanding is that this is a mandatory resort, so the points can transfer to book any other Westin, including the Nanea. If the price is right, we might get this one.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
OK, thank you all for the help. I'm now thinking about a 2-br. oceanfront at the Westin Kaanapali Resort Villas. That is 176,700 biennial points, an oceanfront Kaanapali unit is guaranteed for the use years, and my understanding is that this is a mandatory resort, so the points can transfer to book any other Westin, including the Nanea. If the price is right, we might get this one.

If you reserve exactly at 12 months, you may find this an excellent timeshare purchase. You’ve already accepted the high MFs, so that’s not an issue. I’m sure others will chime in on how great they are... just don’t trade into WKORV-N, since the OF units there have less of a view and more noise from the resort (with a few notable exceptions).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you reserve exactly at 12 months, you may find this an excellent timeshare purchase. You’ve already accepted the high MFs, so that’s not an issue. I’m sure others will chime in on how great they are... just don’t trade into WKORV-N, since the OF units there have less of a view and more noise from the resort (with a few notable exceptions).

Well, looks like the owners wanted more than we were willing to pay. It's OK, we can be patient. My guess is that the price of everything will drop in a few months, and then we can circle around again.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
That's the way to approach things. Patience when buying a timeshare is truely a virtue. I don't even think it will take months before the bottom starts falling out. You're already starting to see some distressed listings.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
That's the way to approach things. Patience when buying a timeshare is truely a virtue. I don't even think it will take months before the bottom starts falling out. You're already starting to see some distressed listings.
Aren't 99% of timeshare listings distressed listings even in normal times? I'd certainly be distressed listing ours before the current pandemic at around $10k when we'd paid the developer close to $45k.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
I second the advice to contact Syed. We have used his company a few times recently...and he has always been well spoken of here on Tugs, we have been very satisfied. Our purchase was WKORV-N OceanFront which has 176,000 Star Option Points.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Aren't 99% of timeshare listings distressed listings even in normal times? I'd certainly be distressed listing ours before the current pandemic at around $10k when we'd paid the developer close to $45k.

Just remember that what you paid the developer has no relationship to the true value of your timeshare. It's very difficult to sell a timeshare on the resale market, and developer prices are normally four or five times more than the timeshare is really worth. The extra covers marketing costs, like the commission to the sales agents and the cost of gifts to people who take timeshare tours but don't buy. So, when you buy from the developer, you need to be prepared to take a huge loss on sale, and presume that anything you get over $1 is a gift.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I second the advice to contact Syed. We have used his company a few times recently...and he has always been well spoken of here on Tugs, we have been very satisfied. Our purchase was WKORV-N OceanFront which has 176,000 Star Option Points.

I've contacted him in the past. But I'm in no rush. I'll buy when I can get a great deal. Otherwise, in most cases, I can get better pricing by renting hotel rooms, taking promotional stays or taking a timeshare unit off a rental or travel booking site.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Just remember that what you paid the developer has no relationship to the true value of your timeshare. It's very difficult to sell a timeshare on the resale market, and developer prices are normally four or five times more than the timeshare is really worth. The extra covers marketing costs, like the commission to the sales agents and the cost of gifts to people who take timeshare tours but don't buy. So, when you buy from the developer, you need to be prepared to take a huge loss on sale, and presume that anything you get over $1 is a gift.
Sage advice but in my case 15 years too late unfortunately :(