• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Maui Ocean Front: South Studio vs. North 1 Bedroom

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Westin Maui South studio OF premium (direct ocean view) booked for 2 people in September. A 1 bedroom Westin Maui North OF just came up in a search. I have now watched several videos of the North OF units. While not straight on ocean views, they appear to be terrific views too. So, I am thinking that the dramatically larger size of the 1 bedroom, including the larger lanai is worth the tradeoff of the less straight on ocean view. The difference in staroptions is tiny. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. For example, one concern is getting a unit behind the restaurant which I've seen described on here as a blocked view. True? Any other potential problems? Thanks for your insights!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It all depends on whether it's in building 5 or 8 and if its a low or high floor.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If it's the same price, I would take the 1br at the North, for space and full kitchen. But since you are paying more StarOptions, plus dramatically higher Hawaii occupancy taxes for 1br compared to a studio (~$29 per night vs ~$4 per night), I would not be that sure if space and full kitchen outweigh a probably slightly better view and significant savings, especially if it's just two people.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Here is a map of both sections of the resort - the pink areas are oceanfront. Bldg. 5 can be more of an ocean view than oceanfront, so it just depends on whether view or space is your first priority:

WKORV view map new.png

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I have a Westin Maui South studio OF premium (direct ocean view) booked for 2 people in September. A 1 bedroom Westin Maui North OF just came up in a search. I have now watched several videos of the North OF units. While not straight on ocean views, they appear to be terrific views too. So, I am thinking that the dramatically larger size of the 1 bedroom, including the larger lanai is worth the tradeoff of the less straight on ocean view. The difference in staroptions is tiny. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. For example, one concern is getting a unit behind the restaurant which I've seen described on here as a blocked view. True? Any other potential problems? Thanks for your insights!
Here are some examples of the blocked views

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how big of a risk would it be of getting the dreaded blocked OF view? I can't even imagine spending extra staroptions/tax dollars and ending up behind a wall or building instead of looking at the ocean. Obviously I am not booking at 12 or even 8 months out and I understand that time stamp matters most. I would be booking 4 months or so out. If it helps, I am chairmans club. If the blocked view is a significant risk, then it isn't even worth considering. But, I think my spouse would really like the space in spite of the extra costs, just as long as the view is decent.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
At 4mos out, I would think you're going to get low floor, so your view likely isn't going to be as good as the unit you booked earlier?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
So, how big of a risk would it be of getting the dreaded blocked OF view? I can't even imagine spending extra staroptions/tax dollars and ending up behind a wall or building instead of looking at the ocean. Obviously I am not booking at 12 or even 8 months out and I understand that time stamp matters most. I would be booking 4 months or so out. If it helps, I am chairmans club. If the blocked view is a significant risk, then it isn't even worth considering. But, I think my spouse would really like the space in spite of the extra costs, just as long as the view is decent.
There are about a dozen units behind Pailolo's in building 5 which should not have been sold as ocean front -- out of about 90 OF units total. Given the late timestamp you would have, I would prefer the true OF studio you have at South.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked the original studio reservation 6 months out. I also shortened the reservation at 5 months out, but kept the same reservation number (not sure if that hurts my placement). Any idea how much difference 6 months vs. 4 months would make? I'd call them and ask. But, I suspect that would just be the opinion of whoever I spoke with and certainly wouldn't include any commitments.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I decided it wouldn't hurt to call. Spoke with a very nice front desk agent at the north property. She put into my 1 bedroom north reservation that I wanted a high floor and to not be put behind the restaurant. I asked her "which would you choose" between a south studio at 6 months and a north 1 bedroom at 4 months? She said she would choose the 1 bedroom. She said that arriving on Friday gave me some benefit in room placement. But, of course, she didn't say for sure that I wouldn't be behind the restaurant.

So, I guess the question is whether I'm willing to take the risk of getting the blocked view in the 1 bedroom. Hhhmmm.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, she said that there are only 6 units that are blocked (three 2 bedroom units). Is that true?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well, I decided it wouldn't hurt to call. Spoke with a very nice front desk agent at the north property. She put into my 1 bedroom north reservation that I wanted a high floor and to not be put behind the restaurant. I asked her "which would you choose" between a south studio at 6 months and a north 1 bedroom at 4 months? She said she would choose the 1 bedroom. She said that arriving on Friday gave me some benefit in room placement. But, of course, she didn't say for sure that I wouldn't be behind the restaurant.

So, I guess the question is whether I'm willing to take the risk of getting the blocked view in the 1 bedroom. Hhhmmm.

She doesn’t know. She’s just being nice.

I wouldn’t risk it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is they take the units for that checkin day and start allocating from highest floor to lowest floor in your booking timestamp order checking your special requests as they go along.

So first timestamp gets highest floor, unless they special requested something else. Then they process next timestamp and give them highest remaining unit, unless they requested something else.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Both the Center and Corner 1Bd villas at the south resort have a direct OF, the corner villa also has a view of the south/north along the beach and the mountains (e.g. can look back at pool area). They also have windows on the side, unlike the center villas. There are no bad 1Bd OF views in the south resort. We have been on every floor of the OF corner.

The OF views at the north resort can be poor.

As a SO stay - go with the south resort.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We sit outside a lot when we are in Hawaii. So a room without a nice baloney is IMHO not a good choice since the south studios has almost no baloneys I'd go with the 1 bd unit in the north bldgs.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We sit outside a lot when we are in Hawaii. So a room without a nice baloney is IMHO not a good choice since the south studios has almost no baloneys I'd go with the 1 bd unit in the north bldgs.
The OF studios at South all have lanais; that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The OF studios at South all have lanais; that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

And the South OF studio lanais are much larger than any studio lanai at North.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided not to risk sitting behind the restaurant in the north. I checked abound, staroptions and cash and there were no 1 bedroom of available anywhere. My conclusion was that I was very low on the view pecking list and it wasn’t worth the risk.

Im actually very much looking forward to trying the south studio. We’ve never been in a studio that had laundry, full size fridge, dishwasher, etc. the view should be at least decent even on the bottom floor. If we like it, I can see us going this route often.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I decided not to risk sitting behind the restaurant in the north. I checked abound, staroptions and cash and there were no 1 bedroom of available anywhere. My conclusion was that I was very low on the view pecking list and it wasn’t worth the risk.

Im actually very much looking forward to trying the south studio. We’ve never been in a studio that had laundry, full size fridge, dishwasher, etc. the view should be at least decent even on the bottom floor. If we like it, I can see us going this route often.

All Westin and Sheraton small units have washer/dryer, etc. It’s a major reason many of us bought into this network years ago vs Marriott.

Enjoy!

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If view is important I wouldn’t risk the north 1 bedroom. We paid extra star options for a 1 bedroom north OF, booked right at 8 months and got a disappointing view so decided it wasn’t worth the extra star options if at the north. But……we also like the space of 1 bedroom so we rarely book a studio.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
I wouldn't risk it, ive gotten the room behind pailolos.. they were able to swap my room half way through the stay but that was a hassle. Ask yourself what's more important, view or interior space. if it's the view and patio, stick with Studio south.