• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los cabos - first timer

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Hi all, we will be going to Westin Los Cabos at the end of June...wonder if you guys have any info on:

1. grocery, any store near by?
2. is it even worth it to cook on your own, or should we just eat at / around the resort?
3. any beach near by that's ok to swim in?
4. how's the water temp vs the carribean side? seems a bit cooler at around 78-80ish?
5. any other hints / tips would be awesome!

thanks!

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
We were there in October 2020 so a lot of Covid restrictions were still in place, but here are our answers to your questions:

1. There is no major shopping close to the resort, so you need a taxi or Uber to get there. We shopped in San Jose del Cabo at the Chedraui Selecto Mendoza supermarket. It was a very nice grocery store with a merchandise section also. We used Uber to get there and back.

2. We thought it was worth cooking several meals, especially our breakfast. They have grills onsite, but not the most convenient location relative to the rooms (a bit of a hike). If more restaurant options at the resort are open now, I think a mix of cook in and eat out is ideal. Plenty of good restaurants around, but you need to do taxi or Uber if going off resort.

3. The beaches at the resort are nice, but definitely not for swimming. There are better beaches closer to Cabo San Lucas, but again taxi or Uber required. However, we did not seek out any other beaches beyond the resort.

4. Cannot answer this.

5. The resort is definitely somewhat isolated, but we found that to be a real plus for a laid back, relaxing escape (we were in the Baja Point villas). Assuming the on-site restaurants and amenities are back to normal, you could be content to stay onsite for most of the time. But a day trip to San Jose del Cabo (artsy, and more laid back) or Cabo San Lucas (party town) is recommended. We also took a day trip catamaran excursion to Isla Lobos from LaPaz to snorkel at the seal colony. Quite a unique experience, but a very long day (shuttle ride from resort to Cabo San Lucas then to LaPaz and back). Bucket list trip is to return but during the peak of whale season.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We almost always get a rental car in Cabo. We have not stayed at the Westin but we have stayed at the Club Regina that is next to the Westin and shares the long driveway from the Hwy. You are far from everything. So unless you plan on staying at the Resort most of time you will using a lot of Taxis. All activities (snorkeling trips, swim with the dolphins, etc) will pick you up at the Resort and take you back to the Resort.

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
I was there in April. All restaurants should now be open but possibly still reduced capacity. The main grill restaurant at the resort has decent food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No breakfast buffet when I was there but you could get room service or go down to the restaurant and order omelets, pancakes etc. There is no store near the resort and the market store at the resort is extremely limited. Compared to Westin Lagunamar which has a lot more that you can purchase to cook with. But I found the resort restaurant food to be very good. The fancy restaurant is Cocina Cosera up at Baja Point. We had one dinner there it was very good. Otherwise, I recommend going to San Jose del Cabo, especially on Thursdays for art walk. Very nice shops, galleries and a lot of great restaurants. Also, please use Uber instead of taxis. You have to walk down to the entrance gate to catch the Uber but they come very quickly and much cheaper than taxis.

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Sorry, Cocina Casera is the main restaurant. El Ciruelo is the fancy restaurant at Baja Point.

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Awesome, thanks guys for all the info! We've only been to Lagunamar and remember eating out was super easy, I guess this will be a little different...

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
El Merkado is an excellent grocery store and is very close driving/taxi, but maybe on the border of too much to walk/cross the highway.

2. is it even worth it to cook on your own, or should we just eat at / around the resort?
Yes. We generally try to cook 1 meal a day

No

4. how's the water temp vs the carribean side? seems a bit cooler at around 78-80ish? Can't say.
5. any other hints / tips would be awesome! get a car, have fun!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I would say renting a car might be the best tip. You’re fairly isolated in that location and being able to easily drive to a grocery or restaurant will be a bonus. It is very easy to drive in the Los Cabo’s area as it is basically one road Up and down the corridor.

CVBCHART

Reaction score
Just returned from Westin Los Cabo last week. It’s hot! :) Seven of us went and stayed in a 3 Bedroom Lockoff. Here are my thougths:

1. Freskos is a full supermarket 1-2 miles up the road toward San Jose. You definitely need to take a taxi or Uber if you don’t rent a car. The taxi’s charge basically by the person, and not by distance. (Distance can come into play, but the majority of the price was in number of people.). So 4 people going 2 miles will cost you about $40-$50. Uber is much better, but I did get a fair number of cancellations. You can rent a car on site for approx $75/day.

2. I don’t like to pay a lot for breakfast, so I got breakfast stuff and a bag of coffee at Freskos. There is a Starbucks in the little market at the Westin and Westin supplies a little bit of coffee in the rooms. But if you’re a coffee drinker and you have more than a couple of people, it’s worth it to get a bag.

3. No. The pools are nice.

4. Can’t answer

5. Misc Tips: If you go to the marina area in Cabo, the street vendors and singing groups are relentless.
They have COVID tests to return to the US onsite at the Westin. You need to make a reservation. They are about US$28/per person. You can also get tested at many other places (outside Freskos, at the airport, etc).
Eat before you go to the airport to return, if you can. I’ve never seen anything like the prices there.
For restaurants, we liked El Ciruelo at the Westin a lot.
Arrange your transit from the airport to the Westin ahead of time. You will be tired and hot and will take the first thing you can get if you don’t. We got taken advantage of - 5 people paid $100 to take the taxi service.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
We haven't been to (San Jose del) Cabo in 2-1/2 years, but SJdC is a lot more laid back than Cabo San Lucas .
Not familiar with the Westin location, but if you shop in San Jose, definitely go to La Comer (The Commercial) Hyper Market.
Extremely good prices, especially on adult beverages, onsite bakery, and for 12 pesos (about 50 cents), ride the rattletrap local transport!
It's an experience, folks are friendly, it's cheap and very convenient. Don't know if CSL has this system.

Rubyredboots

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WDW
Hi all, we will be going to Westin Los Cabos at the end of June...wonder if you guys have any info on:

4. how's the water temp vs the carribean side? seems a bit cooler at around 78-80ish?

thanks!
As others have replied, there is a grocery store - taxi or Uber. We did not rent a car while there and chose to do some cooking, some resort restaurant and then San Jose del Cabo restaurant during their Thursday Night market.

Suggestion for a unique outing -- Flora Farms - for a cooking class and tour of organic farm. Best experience of our trip - location where Adam Levine got married. Also has a restaurant. We Ubered it there and back. San Jose del Cabo less touristy.

Took a snorkelling excursion from Cabo san Lucas where you swim with the sea lions .... excellent as well.

Resort is nice and relaxing .. so you choose your level of activity. Entertainment and food on Mexican night is wonderful too.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely get a car. The Westin is isolated. Even if you don't want to drive everywhere yourself, the cost of a car would likely be no more than the cost of transportation to/from the airport and one extra taxi ride. We took a taxi that was like a five minute ride and it was like $20

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I’ll second Flora Farms!

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't been to (San Jose del) Cabo in 2-1/2 years, but SJdC is a lot more laid back than Cabo San Lucas .
Not familiar with the Westin location, but if you shop in San Jose, definitely go to La Comer (The Commercial) Hyper Market.
Extremely good prices, especially on adult beverages, onsite bakery, and for 12 pesos (about 50 cents), ride the rattletrap local transport!
It's an experience, folks are friendly, it's cheap and very convenient. Don't know if CSL has this system.
We got the best lunch from La Comer one day: fresh ceviche from their ceviche seafood cart (about 8 different choices). Freshly fried tortilla chips that had been dusted with salt, lime, and spices. Yum…

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We got the best lunch from La Comer one day: fresh ceviche from their ceviche seafood cart (about 8 different choices). Freshly fried tortilla chips that had been dusted with salt, lime, and spices. Yum…

There is a restaurant right behind La Comer called Lateral that is excellent. It’s open air so you’ll have to deal with flies but they usually point a fan at you to blow them away. The food is fantastic. Inexpensive as well. The Italian place across from Cabo Azul was pretty good too.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
1. Freskos is a full supermarket 1-2 miles up the road toward San Jose. You definitely need to take a taxi or Uber if you don’t rent a car. The taxi’s charge basically by the person, and not by distance. (Distance can come into play, but the majority of the price was in number of people.). So 4 people going 2 miles will cost you about $40-$50. Uber is much better, but I did get a fair number of cancellations. You can rent a car on site for approx $75/day.
I hope you mean 40-50 MXP for the taxi and not $40-50 U.S.!

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
thanks for all the great info guys, I think we will get a rental car once we get to the resort...
Also booked a brunch at the flora farm already, can't wait to go!

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
I hope you mean 40-50 MXP for the taxi and not $40-50 U.S.!
In Oct 2020 for Ubers we paid $19-26 one way (depending on time of day) for trips into Cabo San Lucas. $2.25-3.00 one way for trips into San Jose del Cabo.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Santa Maria Cove and Chileno Bay are two nice beaches on the corridor that are a short car ride from the Westin. Snorkeling is good at Santa Maria

Pipercub925

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last November and loved it. We rented a car, and definitely recommend renting one. We had brunch at Flora Farms and really enjoyed it, but my absolute favorite place we ate was The Green Room in Todos Santos. Somewhat of an adventure to get there, long dirt road, but loved everything about it. When I think of a simple, low key, quiet place to dine on the beach with a beautiful sunset, this is the place! And the food was amazing! Just be sure to have the Westin concierge make a reservation, and be sure and plan it out and draw yourself a map, or screen shot one. We didn’t have any service, so it was quite the adventure finding it, but very well worth it! The shrimp Rosarito Beach Rolls were the best I’ve ever had! Enjoy your vacation!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We were there last November and loved it. We rented a car, and definitely recommend renting one. We had brunch at Flora Farms and really enjoyed it, but my absolute favorite place we ate was The Green Room in Todos Santos. Somewhat of an adventure to get there, long dirt road, but loved everything about it. When I think of a simple, low key, quiet place to dine on the beach with a beautiful sunset, this is the place! And the food was amazing! Just be sure to have the Westin concierge make a reservation, and be sure and plan it out and draw yourself a map, or screen shot one. We didn’t have any service, so it was quite the adventure finding it, but very well worth it! The shrimp Rosarito Beach Rolls were the best I’ve ever had! Enjoy your vacation!
We drove to Todos Santos too, liked it. A tourist shopping town, but fun. Like you we went off the main drag to find the "turtle farm" that was on Google maps, thinking it was like the hatchery on Isla Mujeres off of Cancun. Turned out the farm was a staked out section of a long section of beach bordered by beach homes. This was a little south of your Green Room eatery. There was a low dip in the road with lots of sand, and for a moment I thought we might get stuck. We had no idea there were any eating places in that area. Will keep in mind if we ever go back!

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Are there any cabanas at the pool and do we need to book them (or first come first serve)?
thanks!

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Ok, just got here, this place is beautiful...the pools are awesome, thou it feels like a workout going back and forth between places : )
At WLR, they have a owner's discount card for 20% off within the resort, is there similar thing at Westin Los Cabos? the Concierge didn't mention it when I went to see her...

If I want to buy into this place, any idea how?
I didn't see any ads for resale on redweek nor tug2...

thanks!

Kellybwiney

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin vacation village at Bonaventure
Villa del palmar

thanks!
I can comment on the beach. Rent a car and drive out to Cerritos. It is the closest swimmable beach and is beautiful! Also, Todos Santos has nice beaches and is a small artsy town that is such a treat!

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity - do you rent a car upon arrival at the airport or can that be done once at the resort? We have plans to go there in May for the first time. Thanks!