• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los Cabos Experience

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got an 8th floor studio the preview. Guess "suckers who they're trying to part with their money" do OK on the priority list also.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue with offering Bonvoy benefits is that for Bonvoy late check-out is 4pm. That can't be combined with Elite VSE benefits. Also, room upgrades are fundamentally incompatible with ownership rules. I've witnessed customers at the front desk being pretty adamant at waving their status at the front desk to demand upgrades and special privileges based on Bonvoy status. Hinting that some benefits could be available would just result in lots of confusion and grief for the poor associates at check-in. It would be much easier to just say BOnvoy benefits don't apply at timeshare properties.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I realize that MVCI owns Westin, but presume that Westin(VSE) still has a management team operating.

While there is certainly still separation between the brands at the individual resort management level and perhaps some separate management at middle management levels, according to the Marriott Vacations Worldwide website and their Investor Presentations, they have totally integrated the management at the most senior levels. For example, the Marriott Vacations Worldwide EVP over Sales and Marketing runs both legacy MVCI and legacy VSE sales and marketing. I suspect there is likely some separation somewhere in the org chart below that EVP level, but they are trying to mange the company as one, not two.

Last edited:

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I have been trying to follow the integration of VSE into Marriott. I am not a believer that the timeshare brands will merge into one, but I see one upper management handling both brands. Sounds like that has already happened.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thank you for the clarification. I have been trying to follow the integration of VSE into Marriott. I am not a believer that the timeshare brands will merge into one, but I see one upper management handling both brands. Sounds like that has already happened.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that they have said in their earnings calls that most corporate functions like Human Resources, Finance/Accounting, Procurement, Legal, etc. have been fully consolidated all the way down the org chart. It would not surprise me however if, using the Sales Team as an example, all of the legacy MVCI sales offices report to common managers while the legacy VSE offices all report to different common managers, and ultimately, possibly through some regional managers in each org tree, those folks all report to the head of Sales. The two sales teams - MVCI and VSE - are still selling two very different products, so it would make sense that there would be some need to manage the day-to-day sales activities somewhat independently. All my speculation of course.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to update everyone --

We did the owner update (and had a wonderful dinner as an incentive at Los Tamarindos with a few other owners the day prior). I will say the presentation was extremely professional, and well done. For a summary:

- 3, 4 and 5 Star Elite status does indeed exist. (The "manager" was either totally incorrect or just a disgruntled employee).
- The first priority for room assignment is the timestamp (which was done 12 months prior in our reservation, but maybe not to the minute), after the timestamp it's Elite Levels, etc (Which is what we were always told and what other posts have also thought was the case).
- The sales manager and sales rep were both shocked at what we were told, and had us sign a written report of the names of the individuals we interacted with throughout our experience.
- In looking up the villa placement and time stamp of our original reservation they confirmed the rooms assignment team did not follow the correct procedures. Regardless of the poor condition of our first room, we should have had a better placement (view, high floor) based on the timestamp alone. For reference, our first villa (with mold and no hot water, in which to their credit they had some major construction going on after we left the room) was #1231, and the second one we got was #1531 (still not super high floor but at least was habitable and was a nice room). The villa type we booked was a 2 bedroom deluxe (The 2 bedroom 2.5 bath with private spa on the balcony).
- The sales team stated they have news of additional resorts being added in other parts of Mexico and Latin America (which will be included in the Aventuras program once announced officially). This could be positive news for the future (but wont hold my breath if and when they open).
- They offered to "upgrade" our membership to try for more points, but didn't even ask the price.

The good news is they are indeed still honoring Elite levels and if anyone ever gets into a situation like this and the resort tells you nothing else is available, I would call the Marriott line (for whatever status level you have) and open a case.

In summary, the resort is gorgeous (our kids loved the kids club!) and we enjoyed our time in Cabo. We do feel it could use some improvement in the dining options, additional lounge chairs (by the kids pool) and obviously staff training. We had a rough start, but thankfully it was corrected before the first evening with the help of Marriott's corporate team.

Hopefully this information is helpful for other folks on this board and sincerely hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Darius

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
- The sales team stated they have news of additional resorts being added in other parts of Mexico and Latin America (which will be included in the Aventuras program once announced officially). This could be positive news for the future (but wont hold my breath if and when they open).

Did he mention what resorts? Puerto Vallarta? Maybe Costa Rica as well?

1582479336922.png

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did he mention what resorts? Puerto Vallarta? Maybe Costa Rica as well?

View attachment 17395

You got it! Specifically, Costa Rica and Puerto Vallerta. He also mentioned Bali, however didn't specifically state if that would be included in the Aventuras program... also mentioned additional city clubs as well, but didn't name the cities.

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got back from our first timeshare trip. Overall, the experience was better than we expected.

Went into the presentation pretty prepared, I thought, but was still surprised by a few things:

1. All of the presentations are one on one. I thought I'd be able to duck into a big group, but that was not the case.
2. They were offering Bonvoy Gold for Life, but didn't mention the Vistana star system.
3. Baja point apparently is not yet an Aventuras property? But all of the sales presentations were done there.
4. We got the salesperson and the manager, but they let us go without the "checkout" person. I think that was for the "Explorer package."
5. The sales agent and I were talking one on one right before it was over and he was very insistent that what he was selling wasn't a timeshare.
6. A day after the presentation, I went to the concierge to see if they would offer a "return offer," and lo and behold we're eligible even though it wasn't offered to us during the presentation (since we missed the "checkout"). They had two offers. One was 349 (maybe from 349?) to return to Los Cabos, and another was from 299/399 to return to any Aventuras property. I chose the latter. Unfortunately I didn't read it too closely and it looks like to return in "peak season," which they define as most of the year, it's an extra 100, so 499 for Cabos/Lagunamar for 4 nights. Also an extra 200 to reserve during holidays. Will call tomorrow and see what's available. Even 499 for 4 nights at Lagunamar should be a pretty good deal if it works with the school schedule.

EDIT: One last surprise, although something that makes sense in retrospect: while almost all of the resort staff is Mexican, from checkin to concierge, the actual salespeople were all Americans.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got it! Specifically, Costa Rica and Puerto Vallerta. He also mentioned Bali, however didn't specifically state if that would be included in the Aventuras program... also mentioned additional city clubs as well, but didn't name the cities.
this is gonna be a pretty good boost to the Aventuras program, especially Costa Rica, the area around Los Suenos appears to be very beautiful

1582490757289.png

1582490879631.png

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Costa Rica and Bali have been previously announced, but the implication has been they will be branded as Marriott Vacation Club. Puerto Vallarta is an addition that Vistana had announced pre-merger as an additional Aventuras property whenever it opens. Until the common points system is developed, these will likely remain within their respective legacy systems.

HankW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SVV, WLR
What I find astonishing is the OP stated he owns in the Westin Adventuras program that was designed & sold for the Mexican Westin resorts. OP should have been considered an 'owner'. Owners shouldn't get such poor room assignments. So is this a data point that Adventuras doesn't mean much in Marriott's eyes?

I am not sure, it seems like something else was going on in this case. As a Lagunamar and Aventuras owner and only 3 Star Elite, I have always got exactly what I asked for ~ 8 times with some being two trips a year, Cabos and Lagunamar. Too bad this happened, it seems like something else happened in this case, I do not believe it is a common occurrence with owners.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costa Rica and Bali have been previously announced, but the implication has been they will be branded as Marriott Vacation Club. Puerto Vallarta is an addition that Vistana had announced pre-merger as an additional Aventuras property whenever it opens. Until the common points system is developed, these will likely remain within their respective legacy systems.
When it comes to Costa Rica, I am sure they can resolve the matter of branding, if that is the only issue. They can rename the resort Westin, they can rename the Westin Aventuras to Aventuras etc. I am not sure they can add Costa Rica straight to the MVC trust so they may prefer a regional solution. I think this would generate more sales for all the resorts in the program.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
When it comes to Costa Rica, I am sure they can resolve the matter of branding, if that is the only issue. They can rename the resort Westin, they can rename the Westin Aventuras to Aventuras etc. I am not sure they can add Costa Rica straight to the MVC trust so they may prefer a regional solution. I think this would generate more sales for all the resorts in the program.

All good points, but I think the Costa Rica timeshare property is co-located with a Marriott-branded hotel, so it would be a little awkward to have a Westin brand on a co-located property, even though both brands are owned by Marriott International - not impossible, but a little awkward perhaps. You are correct that a Costa Rica property would not fit into the MVC Trust as structured, so perhaps it could work in Aventuras (if Aventuras can accept properties outside of Mexico), but I would think that kind of solution might have to wait until they develop their common product.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure, it seems like something else was going on in this case. As a Lagunamar and Aventuras owner and only 3 Star Elite, I have always got exactly what I asked for ~ 8 times with some being two trips a year, Cabos and Lagunamar. Too bad this happened, it seems like something else happened in this case, I do not believe it is a common occurrence with owners.

Hank,

Absolutely - as an owner we should always have a better priority than what we got. However, I believe the breakdown was two fold - Lack of training on reading timestamps and assignment of rooms, and the on-site rooms manager should have been able to swap out a poor room for one in good working condition (without calling Marriott) regardless of status.

These things happen, it just is a bummer when they do. Like going to your favorite restaurant 100x and the one time you've got an important business meal or event you get let down.

I agree it's not common, but when it does - it is extremely unfortunate. Hope it never happens again and they truly have resolved this issue.

Darius

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I just completed a stay at Westin St. John a few days ago and was thanked for my Marriott Titanium status despite being 5-star Elite. I don’t think Elite is really worth much, but I do get some value out of the extended banking deadlines and reduced fees.