• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kierland II exchange trading question

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kierland has three seasons(Plat, Gold, Silver) in SVN.

II on the other hand states that Kierland is red 1-52 like Westin Maui. Is this unusual or fairly common ?

The reason I am asking is because we are trying to reserve an additional week in Kierland this summer using Worldmark points and it seems unfair that they want the same number of points as in peak season.

Sara

seenett

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very common - II uses different criteria than the developers. Every II resort in the Phoenix area is "red" all year along (except for one that has 6 yellow weeks). Even every Resort in Orlando is "red" all year long!

When developers set seasons, they are primarily concerned with maximizing their sales and avoiding vacant units. They can charge a premium for true high demand weeks, and heavily discount the lowest demand weeks. This way everything is sold and every week is paying m/fs.

Since II is not concerned with sales and m/fs, and because they look at demand for a whole area rather than at one particular resort, they often have different color codes based on overall demand.

If you have to spend X number of Worldmark points for a summer "red" week, it does not seem "fair". But the converse must also be true - you would need to spend the same number of Worldmark points to get a prime winter "red" week also, right? It works out in the long run.

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
seenett said:
If you have to spend X number of Worldmark points for a summer "red" week, it does not seem "fair". But the converse must also be true - you would need to spend the same number of Worldmark points to get a prime winter "red" week also, right? It works out in the long run.

Thank you Seenett, for your clear explanation of II's rationale for defining seasons vs SVN's.

I am not too sure the prime winter "red" weeks being cheaper argument though because I don't think SVN ever deposits such weeks in II.

Mind you I am still ecstatic at getting this Kierland unit(developer deposit) thru Worldmark.

Sara

Steve

Reaction score
Prime winter weeks currently sitting online at II

There are several weeks at Westin Kierland Villas available right now for January 2007...including a couple of 2 bedrooms.

Steve

Last edited: