• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kaanapali re-sale

jmckee99

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to the forum:) We are considering buying from this marketplace or RedWeek.com a Westin Kaanapali Oceans Villa (South or maybe North) 2BDR Oceanfront for every year (deeded).
Any issues with buying re-sale? We are seeing $25K to buy with about $2,600/yr in maintenance fees which all seem reasonable based upon the pricing in the sales presentation yesterday for a 1BDR ocean view. Any considerations or advice? We understand most of these are every year and weeks 1 - 50. We don't need weeks 51 and 52. Should we look for a Platinum membership on re-sale? Are there any advantages to that? Thank you, Jeff

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We own OF at WKORV. It is our favorite timeshare by far.

There are no issues with buying resale. Just be sure to use a legitimate escrow company and be sure to review Vistana's estoppel ("Resale Information Sheet") as part of the escrow process.

Be cognizant of the differences between WKORV and WKORVN and the differences between ocean front deluxe (corner units) and ocean front premium (center units) at WKORV. There are benefits and detriments to each and none of them are poor choices -- but there are differences. North is cheaper on the buy-in. South has better views. The deluxe 1bd units at South are the best 1bd units, but their corresponding studio sides are inferior to the premium units and their MF's are much higher. A few of the OF units at North have lousy locations (right behind the beach bar), but you won't get one of those units if you make your reservation at the twelve month mark.

Platinum membership on resale? That doesn't compute. All WKORV/N weeks are "platinum" to Vistana. And you don't need a platinum Interval membership because you should never exchange WKORV/N through Interval.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
because you should never exchange WKORV/N through Interval.
...unless we ever get hit by a global pandemic and aren't able to travel to Hawaii ;)

I suspect your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but I will stand by my thought. If you are unable to travel to Hawaii next pandemic, you can bank your 176700 StarOptions into the next year and use them then. You will have more control over timing and quality using StarOptions than you would with Interval.

Interval is for exchanging to Hawaii, not from Hawaii (I understand it has to balance out, but I don't have to downtrade with a $25k unit and its $2,500yr. MF's).

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
For a WKORV North I would target $19,000 or less and I bought mine at Advantage Vacation Timeshare Resales. I bought North several years back because we spend 2 weeks by splitting 1 bedroom and studio. I prefer a studio with a balcony, which is what the North has and the South does not (unless you purchase the deluxe and I did not want to pay the extra MF).

However it is true that the South Units have better views, you will pay significantly more for the South OceanFronts. I should add that I use my Sheraton Vistana Villiages Key West on Maui as well via Staroptions and have never had an issue booking Jan/Feb/March season using it.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I suspect your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but I will stand by my thought. If you are unable to travel to Hawaii next pandemic, you can bank your 176700 StarOptions into the next year and use them then. You will have more control over timing and quality using StarOptions than you would with Interval.

Interval is for exchanging to Hawaii, not from Hawaii (I understand it has to balance out, but I don't have to downtrade with a $25k unit and its $2,500yr. MF's).

Yes it was tongue in cheek and in an ideal world obviously you would choose using your WKORV/N ownership, renting your ownership or banking SO over trading into II. However there are circumstances where it's an option albeit not a financially astute one e.g. you missed your banking deadline, you have so many options that you can't envisage spending them all and you want to travel outside the areas covered by SVN. I can get 2 weeks in Europe out of my ownership through II if needed, admittedly I could get them cheaper than paying the $3,000 MFs I do pay but currently I'm locked into them unless I want to sell and admit to a >$30K mistake.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
For a WKORV North I would target $19,000 or less and I bought mine at Advantage Vacation Timeshare Resales. I bought North several years back because we spend 2 weeks by splitting 1 bedroom and studio. I prefer a studio with a balcony, which is what the North has and the South does not (unless you purchase the deluxe and I did not want to pay the extra MF).

However it is true that the South Units have better views, you will pay significantly more for the South OceanFronts. I should add that I use my Sheraton Vistana Villiages Key West on Maui as well via Staroptions and have never had an issue booking Jan/Feb/March season using it.

If you can buy WKORVN-OF for ~$19K, that price point would be a decided advantage over South.

Advantage Vacation = Syed Sarmad. Syed is a star; he a Maui-based timeshare broker (and a Tugger). I bought my WKORV-OF from him a decade ago and have had two other transactions with him. Highly recommended.

All of the OF studio units at South have balconies (and all deluxe studio units as well). It is the OV and IV premium studios at South that lack balconies.

jmckee99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert, Thank you very much for your insights. I wasn't aware of the differences between the ocean front deluxe and ocean front premium. Like you said probably not an issue with either but there are pros/cons. Good point on the North Villas being less expensive than the South which has better views. We'll evaluate both. If we can book out 12 months in advance on the North ocean front then we should reduce the risk of having an ocean front behind the beach bar.
I have seen Syed Sarmad post some Westin Villa timeshares for resale so good to know you have had positive experiences with your transactions through him. We'll evaluate Advantage Vacations for the resale market. Mahalo, Jeff

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

WKORV OFC villas have a balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WKORV OFC > WKORV OFD > WKORVN OF
If purchase price and MFs are not considered.
IMO

We own WKORV OFD
We bought from Syed in 2005.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a fair opinion but I much prefer the larger and light filled 1 corner bedroom unit at WKORV OFD over all the other units so if we're removing price/fees from the equation, I put OFD in the front. That being said, I'd be pretty thrilled to be in either anytime soon!

And another strong endorsement for Syed, he's fantastic.

Good luck!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We chose WKORVN OF for many of the reasons stated here. Another key reason is that EOYs are rare in the South property. Although we visit HI every year, the MFs are high at these properties and we didn't want to be forced to travel every year to HI if we wanted to travel to Europe or Asia one year. We augment our WKORVN EOY with lower MF HGVC trades (this would also work with mandatory Staroption traders such as WKV or SVV Bella or Key West) to visit the islands in off years. So far this strategy has worked because we wouldn't have been able to use our unit this year with Covid.

By booking at midnight one year prior, we have been treated with highest priority with fantastic views on high floors. Have any OF owners been placed in the poor units behind the bar when they booked early?

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I have booked late as in 9 months prior to arrival and have still never been place behind the bar on a low floor for my oceanfront reservation. I have always gotten high floor in Building 8 or High Floor facing Pool/Ocean building 5 over the last 7 years of booking at WKORV-North.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Good thread. I am tempted but didn’t the MF go up over 3k and then came back down ?