• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH
I'm thinking about taking transfer of ownership from my brother for a EOY 2 bedroom lock-off. My brother wants out of his timeshare so I may take ownership. I would appreciate any information regarding the resort. I currently own 2 weeks at DRI Ka'anapali Beach Club so I'm familiar with the TS world. I really don't know much about Westin Ka'anapali. I noticed there are "Villas" and "Villas North". I would like to know what the difference is, this unit is Villas North. What are the units like, beach, restaurants, pools, etc... Also, I have been following the TUG Marketplace and haven't seen any units from this TS actually sell. Should I offer him any cash for the TS or would a transfer be fair?

I would also like to know about experiences dealing with Westin regarding booking, maintenance fees, etc...
Any information that you are willing to provide would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you fellow Tuggers!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
There are three view types at the North phase. Oceanfront, Oceanview and Island view. These all generally have some value (if it is OF then I’d say a fair value would be $13k).
They are popular in the Vistana system and are Mandatory TS which means the internal trading mechanism transfers upon resale.
The north and South phases are next to each other and you can use the pools etc at either property. There is plenty of info on each property - just use the search feature.

cindylou

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV - 2 DOF, 2 OF
Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista - 2 winter, 1 summer, 1 shoulder
We have been owners at DRI KBC and WKORV (South) so are very familiar with both. The 3 pluses for KBC over WKORV South or North are: 1) 13 stories vs 6, so more oceanfront and ocean view rooms available, 2) depending on how many DRI points and status you have, you are are able to make reservations 13 months out vs 12 at WKORV and 3) you can make reservations for the same unit 1-50 days long, not just 7 days long. In every other way, the WKORV property is much nicer and has a much better kitchen and lanai. Beach, restaurants, and pools are way better at WKORV than KBC. Maintenance fees are therefore higher, but I think worth it. We were tired of spreading our resources between both Vistana (WKORV) and DRI so we just transferred our DRI points to our friends who have a gazillion DRI points and stay at KBC for 6-7 weeks at a time. We watch the Super Bowl from their 12th floor unit but most of the entertaining is done at our place because we have a way better kitchen. I can't speak to paying him cash or just transferring. In my view, a WKORV N week is more valuable than a KBC week but it is EOY and you don't specify the view, and that matters. We own 4 oceanfront weeks at WKORV south (for 10 years) and love every moment we are there, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. One benefit of WKORV North over South is that all the units "face" the water so no parking lot views. Some will see more of the resort than the water and may not see any water, but they do FACE the water (west).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
MFs hover around $2500 per year.

Your brother should know that there is residual value in his TS should he want to sell it. Looking at current listings on Redweek.com, I'd say that fair market price for an EOY Island View would be ~$4-5,000, Ocean View ~$7-10,000 and Ocean Front ~$13-15,000.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

Your brother should know that there is residual value in his TS should he want to sell it. Looking at current listings on Redweek.com, I'd say that fair market price for an EOY Island View would be ~$4-5,000, Ocean View ~$7-10,000 and Ocean Front ~$13-15,000.

those are listed asking prices. Actual transactions are probably lower

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think that is too high ... there is a 2 Bed EOY non-oceanfront on eBay that keeps coming up. It didn't have 1 bidder at $3,650.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I think that is too high ... there is a 2 Bed EOY non-oceanfront on eBay that keeps coming up. It didn't have 1 bidder at $3,650.

Yeah they should cut their estimation in half. An EY OF would be around 15 I’d think.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The key info on both the north and south TS resorts are that they are "Mandatory" in the Westin system which means the internal trading mechanism transfers upon resale. This allows you to take the TS points and make other reservations at the many resorts in the system. A BIG plus since other westin resorts in Hawaii are not "Mandatory" and when you buy resale at these resorts you can only go to that one resort.

We really like both the WKORV but also like the Westin in Princeville.

PS if you get a Vistana ownership from a family member, Vistana will sometimes treat you as if you bought direct even at a voluntary resort. BUT I'm unsure if the family member would need to be a parent not a brother.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score

A 2br/lo eoy even at island view seems like a good deal. The maintenance fees are the same OF or IV.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
PS if you get a Vistana ownership from a family member, Vistana will sometimes treat you as if you bought direct even at a voluntary resort. BUT I'm unsure if the family member would need to be a parent not a brother.

The way I read our contract is that you can leave the unit to somebody in your will and they will step into your shoes as a direct purchaser, but I don't recall seeing anything similar about a transfer while you're still alive.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

Yes, but that listing is for the south side, which has the dreaded "highway" view. (The villas actually face the highway over a parking lot instead of the ocean.) All villas on the north side face the ocean, so IMO north IV are much more valuable than the south IV. (On the other hand, the flip side is true for OF, although when I owned OF at WKORV-N, my views were still quite dreamy, just not direct OF like the south side.

critterchick, I believe a transfer to an immediate family member is allowed even when you're alive. And that person retains the privileges of buying from the developer if the original contract was with the developer. At least that's the way it used to be with Starwood. :)