• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas annual meeting

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is pretty much impossible to be elected unless you are on the ballot and have the current boards support. They hand pick the candidates that they want, and they get to vote the proxy ballots, so you won't see someone elected by write-ins.

alotofgolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise is correct

years ago I submitted my bio for board consideration....served on public company boards, fortune 50 executive, start-up companies, Boy Scout leader, jr. acheivement volunteer/instructor.....and not a peep from them

got a standard form letter back but then checked who they had serving and 100% were *wood people

they want no real debate or disagreement on what they want

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The meeting is not even being held at WKORV.

The meeting will be at the Westin Hotel, about a mile south.

Maybe just to make it less likely that a visiting owner may just drop in or to make it more difficult for anyone who was actually planning to attend.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
The meeting is not even being held at WKORV.

The meeting will be at the Westin Hotel, about a mile south.

Maybe just to make it less likely that a visiting owner may just drop in or to make it more difficult for anyone who was actually planning to attend.

Or maybe because they have better facilities to handle the meeting at the hotel.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Or maybe because they have better facilities to handle the meeting at the hotel.

We both know the property. The sales room at WKORV can easily hold a hundred people, probably four times the number of owners who will bother to travel to the Westin Hotel and make attending the meeting the focal point of their day.

Maybe the reason is so the hotel can charge the HOA a facilities fee for hosting the meeting!

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
We both know the property. The sales room at WKORV can easily hold a hundred people, probably four times the number of owners who will bother to travel to the Westin Hotel and make attending the meeting the focal point of their day.

Maybe the reason is so the hotel can charge the HOA a facilities fee for hosting the meeting!

Just wondering. Why is it some on this site think that anything Starwood does has an ulterior motive? "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Scott&Laura

Reaction score
I believe Hawaii Condominium timeshare LAW 514 requires specifically that ALL members of the board be owners or co-owners and that it specifically prohibits anyone from voting in any way if they have a conflict of interest.

So they can't represent Starwood in any way i would think
also all that is needed is 25% of the owners to agree to get something on ballot

I think the association has to keep ownership names and addresses of everyone

Scott Erickson

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just wondering. Why is it some on this site think that anything Starwood does has an ulterior motive? "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Greg - I have actually been to a Starwood Owner's meeting. I happened to be staying a the resort one time when they were holding the meeting. You'd think they'd let every owner at the resort know so they'd get a good turn out - right? Nope - the only notice was a typed notice on the bulletin board by the Kid's Club. At the meeting - there were no board members there. It was all done by conference call. Every thing on the agenda was rubber stamped with little or no discussion, and participation by the few owners that attended was basically brushed off.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Starwood puts out a superior product and I am a fan; I own four Starwood weeks currently.

But that does not preclude me nor should it preclude me from calling them out on poor governance or game playing.

Tfleming675

Reaction score

Ahh, yes and then we would not need ths board.

People here love a good conspiracy.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott ... "According to Hawaii condo laws 514 a notice to each association member has to be sent at a minimum of 14 days with date and time of meeting and the meetings agenda

I seem to never get one so maybe our bylaws changed that"

You are talking about the requirements for notice of the once a year annual meeting of the members (not the board) where elections are held and the annual budget is adopted.

DeniseM witnessed an annual meeting of the members. She did not say notuce wasn't sent out. She just said it was not well attended by members. With proxies at the annual meeting, there is not really much to do once a quorum is established but vote on the adoption of the budget and elect any board members. What "basically brushed off" means, I cannot tell because no specifics of brushing off were detailed (no answers, vague and unresponsive answers or answers the member did not agree with).

Hawaii Revised Statutes 514B-125 (not 514A) governs procedures at regular board meetings - even for condos created before 2006. As to participation and notice of regular board meetings (the dull meetings concerning management of the property between holding elections and adopting or amending budgets at a special meeting or the annual meeting of the members), section 125 provides:

"(c) All board meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the most recent edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised. Unless otherwise provided in the declaration or bylaws, a board may permit any meeting to be conducted by any means of communication through which all directors participating may simultaneously hear each other during the meeting. A director participating in a meeting by this means is deemed to be present in person at the meeting. If permitted by the board, any unit owner may participate in a meeting conducted by a means of communication through which all participants may simultaneously hear each other during the meeting, provided that the board may require that the unit owner pay for the costs associated with the participation.

(d) The board shall meet at least once a year. Notice of all board meetings shall be posted by the managing agent, resident manager, or a member of the board, in prominent locations within the project seventy-two hours prior to the meeting or simultaneously with notice to the board."

As an owner at WKORV you have an account that requires you give your address and email address to make a reservation. If those are correct and current, you should have no problem getting notices. Other owners have complained about lack of an effective voice at annual meetings, but not lack of notice.

WKORV is running regular board meetings and annual member meetings exactly as the statutes require. And, the requirements for regular board meetings and annual member meetings for condos located throughout the US are very, very similar. ... eom

Last edited:

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
WKORV is running regular board meetings and annual member meetings exactly as the statutes require. And, the requirements for regular board meetings and annual member meetings for condos located throughout the US are very, very similar. ... eom

While they do run the boards according to the rules, they have not been very forthcoming with the minutes of the meetings. On several occasions I have followed the directions on MyStarCentral and asked for minutes of the latest board meetings. All requests have gone unsatisfied. I have not had the time to really push this, but I find it disappointing when they don't even follow their own processes.

Greg

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are entitled to the board minutes by statute. Not getting them after 60 days or 7 days after approval when a request is made is wrong.

Hawaii Revised Statutes 514B-126(c):

"(c) Minutes of all meetings of the board shall be available within seven calendar days after approval, and unapproved final drafts of the minutes of a meeting shall be available within sixty days after the meeting; provided that the minutes of any executive session may be withheld if their publication would defeat the lawful purpose of the executive session." ... eom