• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin in Princeville--what to expect?

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at the Westin in Princeville in late March, and we wonder what to expect.

I believe the unit will be assigned when we arrive. If given a choice, what should we request? Any other tips for the resort?

Are good restaurants on site or nearby? What about shopping for meals to cook in the unit?

Will we be expected/pressured to attend a timeshare presentation? We are used to high pressure "updates" in Mexico, so we wonder if this will be true at the Westin.

We will be in PoiPu for a few days before and after our week in Princeville, so we want to focus on activities in the north during our week in that part of the island. Please share any "must-see/do" or "try-to-avoid" suggestions.

Thank you.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If you want to go up to Ke’e beach you need to get online now and see if you can still get a parking pass. They limit the number of visitors up there now since the storm. Even if you don’t stay a long time, I recommend going up there. It is beautiful up there.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You can take the shuttle (fee) from Hanalei.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I own at Westin .... Princeville I stay ground floor on 13th hole facing ocean so at sunrise it is beautiful plus its a par 3 so i can play it for an hour before any golfers come round. Views are so awesone they do sunset tours and sunrise yoga. Amazing sunsets at the former St. Regis or the park just before it where you can park on the street.

Poipu is great i own at Diamond Resorts Point at Poipu, was there last week. Hang out next door at Hyatt great entertainment and cliff jumpers at Shipwreck beach (photo). Recommend happy hour at Kalapaki Joes (photo) but south and west have a dozen amazing things to see.

Did presentations at both plus Marriott, very professional no pressure.

Currently on east side for a couple of weeks, more traffic but small village vibe and walkable.
dfe78112d5cdf50987ae15e6c1fb97d9.jpg
0df9d802c4711fcf09a3c678e7bfc7df.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You will be asked for a presentation. You don't have to go. I recommend that you not go.

Lanswitch

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South
The Gardens at West Maui
One “tip” regarding the restaurant.
When it comes time to pay for your meal, you’ll see a line on the bill that says “Tip” but above it you’ll see another pre-filled line that says “Service Charge 18%”.
When we asked the waiter what the “Service Charge” was for, he replied that it was for the standard tip and the “Tip” line was for any additional tip we might choose to leave.
I would expect that many people would just see the “Tip” line and add in their usual 15-18% tip thus giving the waiter a huge 33-36% tip.
You’ve been warned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
What about shopping for meals to cook in the unit?
Thank you.
[/QUOTE]
You can stock up at the Costco near the airport for best prices. The Foodland in Princeville is generally well stocked. Get a Maika'i Shopper Card on your way into the store and you'll save quite a bit.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a resort map. I have only stayed in studios in buildings 3 and 6, without a direct ocean view. We liked building 3 as it was quiet, we overlooked the large grassy area with nenes and their chicks wandering around, with a bit of an ocean view. We also had a bit of an ocean view in Building 6, which had easy access to the infinity pool where we spent a lot of time at. I remember walking by building 1 and thinking I was glad I was not in that building. In my opinion, unless you have a direct ocean front unit, the higher floor, the better your view. I prefer a higher floor because we like to leave the door open. I would not do that with a ground level room for privacy and security reasons. But alot of people here on TUG love the ground floor units. To each his own!

1583435609527.png

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have always seen lots of turtles at Anini Beach. A good place for beginning snorkelers with easy access into the water. I would recommend an afternoon there if you enjoy snorkeling and want to see turtles.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that surprised me was that there was not a full-size oven, just the cooktop, and the microwave/convection oven. If you wanted to say bake a large pizza, you couldn't...at least not whole.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
One thing that surprised me was that there was not a full-size oven, just the cooktop, and the microwave/convection oven. If you wanted to say bake a large pizza, you couldn't...at least not whole.

Yes, Vistana did that during the timeframe Princeville was constructed. During the next refurbishment a full-size oven will probably be installed. That's what they are doing now at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for sharing suggestions and advice. We will tuck away the information for future reference. We have cancelled our trip for now. Since we are in our 70's and have some underlying health conditions, we decided to heed advice against travel at this time.

As noted in my more general Kauai post, we feared being stranded if one of us were to unknowingly have the virus already or if we were to pick up the virus in the plane or while on the island. We were scheduled to stay in 4 different places, so I'm not sure how we could "self-isolate" if that became necessary during our trip. I'm sure no one would want us to contaminate their space. Our travel protection policy has made it clear that it would not cover any disruptions due to a quarantine since we made all of our reservations in early February, just a week after coronavirus became a "known event" at the end of January.

Fortunately, Alaska Airlines made it easy to cancel our flights and the condo/timeshare owners have been helpful. We cannot recoup all of our costs, but they have reimbursed enough so we feel OK about it.

We learned a lot while making plans for this trip, so it will be easier when we finally are ready to go some time in the future.

Last edited: