• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin and Sheraton Vacation Clubs Now Internal II Exchange with Priority for MVC Owners

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
So does this mean we also get Elite Night credit for exchanges to Vistana and/or Hyatt properties? I was told by a Marriott rep that we do but I was not convinced that the information was correct. I was upset by this announcement at first because I just did an exchange to a Hyatt only to realize they were conspicuously absent from the announcement.
No Elite Night credit for Hyatt because Hyatt does not, and will not, participate in Bonvoy. I would expect Elite night credit would be given for Westin and Sheraton since those brands do play in Bonvoy.

Hyatt is not part of this because Marriott Vacations Worldwide has indicated that Hyatt is going to be kept totally separate from the other brands acquired with ILG. Since Westin and Sheraton are brands that are part of the Marriott family (both hotel and timeshare) that is the only integration that I think will happen in the short run. Longer term, who knows, but Marriott Vacations Worldwide seems to be keeping Hyatt separate for obvious reasons.

You do receive Elite night credits for Westin and Sheraton stays. However, as has been reported in a separate thread, owners have had to jump through some hoops, like calling the resort to push the process along. That happened to us and we eventually received the credit for nights stayed. Note, that Harborside doesn't award elite night credits due to the property policy. I don't recall if there are other unusual situations. At any rate, hopefully as time goes on, they will get the process ironed out, so the credit will be awarded automatically.

Best regards.

Mike

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
A good change which gives our enrolled Marriott weeks more options to pick from for no exchange fee. The only drawback is that Sheratons do not have studios, so every trade using a studio is going to always require an upgrade fee.

Most Sheratons do not have studios but two of them do: Sheraton Kauai Resort, Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Too many choices, so little time....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Will DC points work for an exchange (using code MZC) or does this only apply to fixed week trades?
Good question. Currently DC points can't be used to trade in to other Marriott weeks through II. Wonder if they can be used to trade in to Vistana weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why only talking about Sheratons? Every Westin I have been to has studios.
This is true. So you can do a straight exchange with no upgrade fee using a studio in to Westin properties.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
A good change which gives our enrolled Marriott weeks more options to pick from for no exchange fee. The only drawback is that Sheratons do not have studios, so every trade using a studio is going to always require an upgrade fee.
Sheratons may not have studios as a technicality At Desert Oasis the small 1 br kitchen was worthless and no better than a Marriott studio in my book. I would imagine this applies to all Sheraton’s. The bedroom was very very small and I would imagine the square footage was only a hair more at the Sheraton. There was no possibility of even cooking breakfast. Microwave only, no oven, no cooktop ok to reheat leftover’s only.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sheratons may not have studios as a technicality At Desert Oasis the small 1 br kitchen was worthless and no better than a Marriott studio in my book. I would imagine this applies to all Sheraton’s. The bedroom was very very small and I would imagine the square footage was only a hair more at the Sheraton. There was no possibility of even cooking breakfast. Microwave only, no oven, no cooktop ok to reheat leftover’s only.
That is the problem with some of the 1BRs at Sheratons. They still require the upgrade fee, but for not much of a benefit.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I didn't realize there were VSN properties without cooktops. We have not experienced any in 10 years of VSN ownership.

In our presentation at the Westin Lagunamar last week, they were talking about this coming change. We were excited about being able to got to the big Island and stay In a MVC Villa. As the sales lady was showing us images, we saw that they didn't have cooktops in what appears to be any of the units. This is a huge negative for me.

Afterwards, I downloaded the Marriott vacation ownership chart of resorts and on a quick check figured about 65% of MVC resorts only have 2 bedrooms or bigger, which is a huge negative for us. Also, I looked at one MVC resort yesterday with no laundry in the room, another huge negative.

So, I think there will be pros and cons for everyone.

Overall if you book through whatever you own, whether it is VSN or MVC, nothing is changing. It's only if you exchange through II that we get a new benefit going both ways.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
That is the problem with some of the 1BRs at Sheratons. They still require the upgrade fee, but for not much of a benefit.

I'm not sure its really a Sheraton thing. I really think it is a matter of whether the particular location was built as vacation ownership or a converted hotel. For instance we stayed at the Sheraton Poipu Kauai last fall and it was a miserable little studio, although it did have laundry and a cooktop. I suspect the Westin that was recently converted in Cancun is the same, although we haven't stayed there and probably never will as we love the Westin Lagunamar. It's my favorite VSN property.

It seems to me like there is a huge problem with 1 bedrooms and studios in MVC, with only about a third of the properties having them.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Afterwards, I downloaded the Marriott vacation ownership chart of resorts and on a quick check figured about 65% of MVC resorts only have 2 bedrooms or bigger, which is a huge negative for us. Also, I looked at one MVC resort yesterday with no laundry in the room, another huge negative.
It is quite a few but it's not 65%, it's roughly 40% IIRC. Of those roughly 25 or 26 that don't have smaller than a 2 BR, 8 are HHI, an area where there are no non MVC resorts in the discussion and 4 others are Orlando with other (and larger) MVC options with smaller units plus other good options. I did not include Ritz. For an exchange it likely doesn't matter as much since all your talking is an upgrade fee which should be less than the difference in points for a direct reservation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Why only talking about Sheratons? Every Westin I have been to has studios.

Because I was replying to a statement that only addressed Sheratons!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Good question. Currently DC points can't be used to trade in to other Marriott weeks through II. Wonder if they can be used to trade in to Vistana weeks.
Interesting I didn’t realize this since I own only 1 legacy week which I would never exchange for points. II would only give me a studio if I deposited it as points and it’s a 2 bedroom lock off. I didn’t know you couldn’t request a Marriott with a points deposit but it makes sense. But I would think you could request a Westin/Sheraton with a points deposit since you couldn’t make an exchange directly

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
...... I own only 1 legacy week which I would never exchange for points. II would only give me a studio if I deposited it as points and it’s a 2 bedroom lock off......

I don't want to hijack this thread but IF you enroll your week nothing changes with II except:

Simplified Fees (From MVC website)
  • Pay a single consolidated annual fee for all your bookings (instead of individual fees for each transaction) - no internal exchange fees on II
  • The fee covers changing your reservation or length of stay, Interval International membership, lock off, split fees and more
  • The fee is now only $205-$270 depending on points level.
Your week is yours and doesn't change you can use it like you always have. You DO NOT have to elect to use Vacation Club Points EVER and you will NEVER deposit vacation club points in II in lieu of depositing your week. However, you save all the fees for II membership, lock off fees and internal exchanges fees within II to any other Marriott/Sheraton/Westin. You will have no need to pay for E-Plus if you only plan to exchange to another Marriott/Sheraton/Westin . No exchange fees for internal exchanges!! If you spend more than $205 a year on II membership fees, locking off your week and then two II exchange fees, there is nothing to lose and plenty to save (after initial enrollment fee).

I might also add as a disclaimer if you ONLY stay at your home resort and never use II then it doesn't make sense to enroll.

Look under the FAQ for more information on the Marriott Destination Club membership.

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked the Vistana owners dashboard. I see the same verbiage on our side. I'm in a bit of a hurry but I believe what it said was that Vistana to Marriott is now an internal Exchange where it used to be considered an external exchange. Also on the Vistana forum it was reported that the exchange fees both ways are now the reduced amount of $154
Yes I received the same messages from my vistana ownership and my Marriott ownership. Did a test on II and the exchange fee would have been $154 instead of $209 for a Marriott Caribbean exchange.

trader14

Reaction score
so i have a week at beachplace, do i need to join ii or do i have a membership with ii that i never set up? I purchased resale. I know i had a ii account with my vistana timeshares that was included in our maint fees. Tried calling cs but they are closed...it's always good to have additional options to go to in maui!!!!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I might also add as a disclaimer if you ONLY stay at your home resort and never use II then it doesn't make sense to enroll.
It certainly doesn't for a single non lockoff units that one doesn't intend to deposit or take points on. But where applicable you still get free lockoff's and free cancelations if you enroll. And it does give you options you wouldn't have if needed in a pinch.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks everyone my 1 eligible week is enrolled. I own 3 MVC weeks. I pay club dues and have 2 separate II accounts. My week if converted to points is equivalent to a studio according to II so I deposit my lock off as a 1 br and a studio.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

I had left over expiring DC points that I had MVC convert into a week and deposit into II to exchange to non MVC resorts.
Right now I can exchange this into Vistana with no exchange fee.
So I’m not excluded from Vistana like I would be from MVC resorts and the exchange is counting under the new pricing just announced.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
so i have a week at beachplace, do i need to join ii or do i have a membership with ii that i never set up? I purchased resale. I know i had a ii account with my vistana timeshares that was included in our maint fees. Tried calling cs but they are closed...it's always good to have additional options to go to in maui!!!!
Your resale week at Beachplace is not part of the MVC DC system and hence no club dues and no free II account.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

One of the questions is when did you purchase your resale week at BeachPlace?

If you purchased prior to 6/20/2010 then you can become a member of the MVC DC system, otherwise you out of luck.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone my 1 eligible week is enrolled. I own 3 MVC weeks. I pay club dues and have 2 separate II accounts. My week if converted to points is equivalent to a studio according to II so I deposit my lock off as a 1 br and a studio.
So you're locking off and depositing for 2 exchanges consistently? If so, your benefit includes the lockoff fee and 2 exchanges plus free cancelations if you need that. There are other potential benefits that wouldn't seem to apply in your situation since you need the second II account such as saving on the II membership fee and access to getaways.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
So you're locking off and depositing for 2 exchanges consistently? If so, your benefit includes the lockoff fee and 2 exchanges plus free cancelations if you need that. There are other potential benefits that wouldn't seem to apply in your situation since you need the second II account such as saving on the II membership fee and access to getaways.
Yes exactly. The closest I came to purchasing points was an Aruba week but they only offered to requalify ( although in the DP) 1 of our weeks. It was all or nothing for me. I hate having 2 II accounts. The second week is an EOY and a low point generator and our MF would have jumped to almost 6 k / year so I passed but it was close.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes exactly. The closest I came to purchasing points was an Aruba week but they only offered to requalify ( although in the DP) 1 of our weeks. It was all or nothing for me. I hate having 2 II accounts. The second week is an EOY and a low point generator and our MF would have jumped to almost 6 k / year so I passed but it was close.
Yes, you're in no man's land it appears. Maybe at some point you'll be able to use the corporate account for all or maybe a better enrollment option will come your say. I'm in the same boat due to non MVC weeks but I could dump the second II account and only use RCI and independents if I wanted.