• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Villas and Photos

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great photos! Thanks for sharing them. I can't wait to head down to Florida in February!

Dori

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Nice to see what they have done. Haven't been there in a few years. Staying at Orange Lake in March but will drive over to see Westgate while I am there.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
new TVs coming soon...

Not only Westgate but most other resorts will soon be updating their TVs with new HD TVs as the USA will go digital starting Feb 2009. In correspondence found with my Jan 09 maint/tax bill it was stated Westgate was initiating a procedure by which all analog TVs were to be replaced with LCD HD TVs. In photo 11 of your slideshow presentation that large analogTV will be replaced as the two smaller ones in the bedrooms.

For an older resort opened in the mid 80s, Westgate Villas did not look as bad as some make it appear. I am glad you had a good time there. :clap:

frenchieinme :hi:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Not only Westgate but most other resorts will soon be updating their TVs with new HD TVs as the USA will go digital starting Feb 2009. In correspondence found with my Jan 09 maint/tax bill it was stated Westgate was initiating a procedure by which all analog TVs were to be replaced with LCD HD TVs. In photo 11 of your slideshow presentation that large analogTV will be replaced as the two smaller ones in the bedrooms.

For an older resort opened in the mid 80s, Westgate Villas did not look as bad as some make it appear. I am glad you had a good time there. :clap:

If a resort has cable or satalite dish, I don't believe they will have to replace their existing TV's. I know the older analog TV's we have will work just fine with our cable provider after the change over without our having to go out an purchase new digital TV's. I can't think of any resort we've stayed in that has rabbit ear's on the TV's to get reception.

As the older TV's wear out I'm sure they'll be replaced with the newer digital TV's but, it won't all happen by Feb. of '09 if that's what you're implying.

Last edited:

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I just submitted my full review, as well as a review for the Beach Club Villas, where we stayed concurrently in a studio. I put a link for a photo slide show in both reviews, but I will post the slideshow link for our studio at the BCV in a separate post on this board.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with analog signals...

If a resort has cable or satalite dish, I don't believe they will have to replace their existing TV's. I know the older analog TV's we have will work just fine with our cable provider after the change over without our having to go out an purchase new digital TV's. I can't think of any resort we've stayed in that has rabbit ear's on the TV's to get reception.

As the older TV's wear out I'm sure they'll be replaced with the newer digital TV's but, it won't all happen by Feb. of '09 if that's what you're implying.

I realize in Feb 2009 TV signals wioll go from analog to HD. This is not the point here. Westgate Lakes (according to my maint/tax bill insert) will embark on a TV replacement improvement project whereby each villa will replace its present 3 analog TVs with new LCD HD units. :cheer:

Just thought it was worth mentioning. This will not get done all in 1 day but the replacements have started and will continue until all have been replaced. :banana:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And the moon turns blue sometimes too

I realize in Feb 2009 TV signals wioll go from analog to HD. This is not the point here. Westgate Lakes (according to my maint/tax bill insert) will embark on a TV replacement improvement project whereby each villa will replace its present 3 analog TVs with new LCD HD units. :cheer:

Just thought it was worth mentioning. This will not get done all in 1 day but the replacements have started and will continue until all have been replaced. :banana:

As far as I am aware tv's have NO impact on sales. They can always have an LCD in any model they show. Therefore any change to LCD will occur in, oh say, 2035 as long as the current tube models get a faint picture of some sort. Of course until then the "plan to install LCD HDTV's" will be in print at every opportunity (see "replace the worn leather sofa's" a fixture in the newsletter for over 8 years so far yet, somehow, they aren't replaced in every unit we've ever been in, other than the models of course!) as it sure does read nice. Wastegate SOP. Been there, learned that.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Outstanding Timeshare Photography.

We just got back last Sunday from Westgate Villas. I am working on a review, but for now here are photos for anyone who is interested.
Nice pictures.

Great looking timeshare, inside & out -- so much so that without some of the behind-the-scenes insights about WestGate provided right here on TUG-BBS we unsuspecting timeshare doofuses would lack so much as a hint about The Rest Of The Story.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
not true...

As far as I am aware tv's have NO impact on sales. They can always have an LCD in any model they show. Therefore any change to LCD will occur in, oh say, 2035 as long as the current tube models get a faint picture of some sort. Of course until then the "plan to install LCD HDTV's" will be in print at every opportunity (see "replace the worn leather sofa's" a fixture in the newsletter for over 8 years so far yet, somehow, they aren't replaced in every unit we've ever been in, other than the models of course!) as it sure does read nice. Wastegate SOP. Been there, learned that.

Simply not accurate. Every 10 years my unit along with others in bldg 600gets refurbished. Presently I hasve new appliances, tile floor, carpeting, furniture (patio and living room) and now they have set a schedule to replace the TVs from analog to digital HD. This has already occured in my other unit (which I always seem to exchange or rent as it is a premium Daytona 500/Presidents' week unit) in bldg 400. My yearly reports have shown the $$$ set aside in escrow and for what and what has been done and plans for what to do in the coming years. They have been on target to date. :cheer:

Again, you may be referencing Westgate Villas but at Westgate Lakes you are far off the mark with your reporting except for maybe the sales staff which seem to bother some people but not me as I mentioned before I have learned to say NO a long time ago and I have never been accused of being shy. What can I say??? :shrug:

In summary, all I was pointing out here is the fact they have started replacing analog TVs with HD digital ones. They did not have to do this as the present analog TVs will continue to work well after the shift from analog to digital in Feb 09. They are upgrading a facet of the resort to bring it even more up to date. In the past 2 to 3 years my unit (as planned in the 10 year update schedule) has received new carpets, furniture, appliances, tile floors, interior paint and internet. This is pretty good by any standard wouldn't you say? :shrug:

Last edited:

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with frenchieinme about maintenance. I peeked in the windows of our unit while we were staying in VVE. Our group of buildings were not occupied the week we were there as they were doing some routine maintenance. Our unit had different tile, carpet and leather furniture. By the following weekend when we checked out, (start of Thanksgiving week) people were being assigned units in our building. So, clearly Westgate Villas does undergo refurbishment and maintenance.

While there are plenty of legitimate complaints about Westgate management and many of their corporate policies, the level of vitriolic accusations and insults on this board is generally far more than deserved. Of course there are a few here who won't agree, and who think that no level of name-calling and insults can be too great. ;)

I will say that everything they have promised has often taken longer than projected, sometimes far longer, but they have added a lot of nice features to the resort like the mini-golf and the new Town Hall registration building, replaced the tile roofs, totally repainted all the buildings, etc. etc. and I have never been billed a single dime in special assessments. The day may come, but it hasn't happened yet.

This year for the first time I got special assessments for both my Maui and Hawaii resort. Both of these resorts have excellent management and responsible board of directors, but sometimes extra costs are necessary and can't be absorbed within the current budget.

Bottom line, Westgate may have plenty of faults, but I don't personally find much to complain about. The resort has far more to offer than most of the resorts we have traded into since 1997.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Nuisance Fee For Mini-Golf? Or Free Mini-Golf?

I will say that everything they have promised has often taken longer than projected, sometimes far longer, but they have added a lot of nice features to the resort like the mini-golf and the new Town Hall registration building, replaced the tile roofs, totally repainted all the buildings, etc.
Is mini-golf freebies at WestGate ?

Or is there a nuisance fee for playing ?

Just wondering.

Over on the other side of WDW, our (non-WestGate) Orlando timeshare charges a nuisance fee for the on-site mini-golf.

So it goes.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with frenchieinme about maintenance. I peeked in the windows of our unit while we were staying in VVE. Our group of buildings were not occupied the week we were there as they were doing some routine maintenance. Our unit had different tile, carpet and leather furniture. By the following weekend when we checked out, (start of Thanksgiving week) people were being assigned units in our building. So, clearly Westgate Villas does undergo refurbishment and maintenance.

While there are plenty of legitimate complaints about Westgate management and many of their corporate policies, the level of vitriolic accusations and insults on this board is generally far more than deserved. Of course there are a few here who won't agree, and who think that no level of name-calling and insults can be too great. ;)

I will say that everything they have promised has often taken longer than projected, sometimes far longer, but they have added a lot of nice features to the resort like the mini-golf and the new Town Hall registration building, replaced the tile roofs, totally repainted all the buildings, etc. etc. and I have never been billed a single dime in special assessments. The day may come, but it hasn't happened yet.

This year for the first time I got special assessments for both my Maui and Hawaii resort. Both of these resorts have excellent management and responsible board of directors, but sometimes extra costs are necessary and can't be absorbed within the current budget.

Bottom line, Westgate may have plenty of faults, but I don't personally find much to complain about. The resort has far more to offer than most of the resorts we have traded into since 1997.

Yes, I am referring to Westgate Villas (the original that started the infestation of Wastegate) but from what I've seen - and stayed in multiple times - things are no different at Wastegate Lakes. Maybe you got lucky with your unit(s) or they are in the model building but what you describe is NOT the way Wastegate manages the Villas or any other resort they control from my experience. I can only judge by a mere 14+ year ownership and watching/reading what has gone on. Perhaps I cannot see the improvements everyone else gets for some strange reason?

For the record our specific unit as of 2/07 (the last time we set foot in it) had the same late 80's floor tile, laminate counters, chintzy white furniture, ripped leather couch (do they buy them that way? Every unit I've ever been in has been ripped), rusty refrigerator and "more" such features. With the exception of the building exterior paint, carpet and drapes (and maybe the roof - I'm not sure if it was painted or replaced) I'm not sure anything has ever been updated or changed in all the years we've owned it, despite the numerous newsletters stating work was to be done and increased fees to "Pay for it". But they did manage to institute the completely unwanted maid service as SALES wanted it! It is THE worst run, well known mega-timeshare in the world without question. I think they are proud of it. Oh, we've stayed in over 6 other units - not ours - at the Villas and all were in very similar condition. It is Wastegte SOP.

It was nice to see King David hurting in the most recent layoffs. I did like the "no one complained" line for the latest $1 million judgment (after the $5 million he got convicted for personally in 2007)- as that's his standard retort. But what do you expect of a millionaire who built their "empire" seemingly on lies and distortions? Love those forced celebrity shots! Support them if you want, but I'd prefer to wash my hands of the corrupt operation. But its worthless as a resale, also thanks to stellar Wategate moves such as the non-existent ROFR and the complete over saturation of a poor product offering, so I soldier on to get my annual value out of that cesspool.

Except for sales, operations and management it would be a great place! Wastegate Lakes (and now Town Center) are more like future mid-rise tenements than bright Florida condos. I can't overlook all that to "enjoy" the resort(s) as they aren't up to snuff with 90%+ of others out there where I don't have to deal with such slime.

They deserve every name in the book as long as it doesn't include principled or owner friendly. Warning everyone to stay away from Wastegate is practically a public service.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
What Else Is There ?

Except for sales, operations and management it would be a great place!
Whoa !

Sales & operations & management cover lots of ground. What's left ?

Location ?

Amenities ?

Maintenance ?

Trade power ?

Resale value ?

Customer satisfaction ?

On-site security ?

Reputation ?

HOA-BOD independence ?

Timeshare tour freebies ?

Timeshare tour breakfast & lunch ?

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just wondering.

Over on the other side of WDW, our (non-WestGate) Orlando timeshare charges a nuisance fee for the on-site mini-golf.

So it goes.

We didn't play while we were there, so all I have to go by is the activities print-out that states "Free for Owners, $3.00 per person for guests without an Activities Privilege Card." The Activities Card comes as a family version for up to six family members at $30/week or a single user at $10/week. Other items covered by the card are sports equipment: horseshoes, fishing poles, volleyballs, shuffleboard sticks and pucks, tennis racket and balls, basketball, soccer ball, football etc. single person bikes (surrey bikes are extra for owners and guests).

Elsewhere in the activities brochure, it says "mini Golf Challenge:" Tournatments for different age groups throughout the week. Complimentary. Maybe in those cases there is no charge. I can't say for sure.

This card system is very similar to the card used at the Massanutten resorts in Virginia.

Last edited:

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a freebie for owners and...

Just wondering.

So it goes.

It's suppose to be FREE for owners and a small fee for others (renters or exchangers). However, just like the FREE owners' breakfasts and bar-b-Q's, I have yet to see them ask for owners' cards for verification. As an owner, it is just as I like it. When I rent I let the renters use one of my cards anyways. I believe owners and exchangers should be treated fairly and alike as we are all in the same boat. My maint fees and taxes go for these benefits anyways. It's been going rather well all these years.