• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort in Gaitlinburg TN

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Refreshing this thread as we find ourselves in a similar situation to the original poster. We are west coast natives who now live abroad and are starting to think about plans for fall '23. We have no exposure to the Smoky Mountain region and are bringing a couple of English friends who thought some "leaf peeping" and exploration of this area would be nice. While we'd avoid many of the big tourist traps, we are interested in a couple of the dinner shows, perhaps a day at Dollywood if we can catch the beginning of the Christmas season there and would do a hike or two in the park.

So....any updated suggestions or thoughts? We'd likely come in the last weekend of October. I know that means leaves may have already dropped, but I figure we'll be mobile enough to move around the park or nearby to find any beautiful vistas that remain. Any updated reports from the Westgate?

Reading this thread made me a bit depressed and hesitant.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We'll be there 10/7 - 10/14 (in about 2+ weeks).
We'll stop in Atlanta on the way up from Florida.

I've been sentenced to a lifetime of 1x a year trips,
as DW has relates who live in nearby Knoxville with
mandatory visits.

We prefer mid-October to see the leaves changing.
Cases Cove and driving to Bryson City, NC, is a treat.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
We went to Cades Cove on November 2nd last year and the leaves in the lower elevations of the park were just past peak, but there was still some nice color to be seen on the drive. In Gatlinburg where the Westgate resort is located, the leaves were peaking that week. Dollywood was closed after Halloween for several days while they were redecorating for Christmas. I would highly recommend doing Dollywood at the end of October (it closes on October 30th this year - reopens on Novenber 5th) and visiting the park on a weekday.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hi, we're thinking of e-plus exchanging into this resort for early May 2023 due to the hurricane destruction in Florida.
1. What's it like in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area in May? Hopefully not crowded as summer since school's still in session?
DH likes walking, and doesn't mind elevation gains, so it looks like a good place for him.

Is there high pressure from Westgate to attend a presentation?
We have absolutely no interest in any presentation. It doesn't matter if they assign us a crummy unit, we won't attend.
I read one recent Marketplace review who said they didn't have any pressure. All the other reviews were from 5-7 years ago and mentioned
more pressure sales tactics.

What sections of the resort do II exchanges usually get assigned to?

Thanks for your answers.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
@TravelTime

DW and I just booked a week next year beginning November 3 as opposed to mid October because we want to maximize our enjoyment of the National Park. We'd rather deal with less crowds, even if it means we'll be there after the foliage has peaked. I think your logic is pretty sound. One suggestion I have is to be prepared for cold weather, and make sure you have layered clothing

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm late to add my 2 cents, but I'll pipe in. A few years ago we finally made it to Gatlinburg and Smoky NP for a week, since we've already visited most NP's and wanted to visit this very popular one, closer to home. It was last wk of September, and was early for leaves, except at highest points. Frankly the town of Gatlinburg with its tourist excesses depressed me, and I wouldn't go back. The park was nice but didn't really wow me. However for leaf-peeping and just mountain viewing, walking and hiking, there are many timeshare choices in western NC, near enough to the Blue Ridge Parkway (which I believe is actually the most visited NP, since it includes people just driving on it point to point). The parkway on the peakest of leaf weekends, literally with bumper to bumper traffic, is still spectacular (no problem to drive slowly to ooh and ah), with so many walks of different lengths right off the parkway. If you're a week or 2 early or late for peak leaf, you can almost always reach other altitutes for better and even peak color. I especially love Banner Elk and Blowing Rock areas. So it might pay to widen your searches.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We'll be there 10/7 - 10/14 (in about 2+ weeks).
We'll stop in Atlanta on the way up from Florida.

I've been sentenced to a lifetime of 1x a year trips,
as DW has relates who live in nearby Knoxville with
mandatory visits.

We prefer mid-October to see the leaves changing.
Cases Cove and driving to Bryson City, NC, is a treat.
Hi, I read somewhere that Westgate charges exchangers for WIFI. What were you charged for your week's stay?

Also what did Westgate charge at checkout for state or city lodging tax? What size unit were you in? I just want to estimate expenses for friends who might be sharing our 2bdrm unit with us.

Thanks!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we're thinking of e-plus exchanging into this resort for early May 2023 due to the hurricane destruction in Florida.
1. What's it like in the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area in May? Hopefully not crowded as summer since school's still in session?
DH likes walking, and doesn't mind elevation gains, so it looks like a good place for him.

Is there high pressure from Westgate to attend a presentation?
We have absolutely no interest in any presentation. It doesn't matter if they assign us a crummy unit, we won't attend.
I read one recent Marketplace review who said they didn't have any pressure. All the other reviews were from 5-7 years ago and mentioned
more pressure sales tactics.

What sections of the resort do II exchanges usually get assigned to?

Thanks for your answers.

I live in Nashville and head up to Dollywood several times a year…Dollywood is beautiful decorated several times a year and worth popping over for the Fall Harvest Festival at night when it’s all lit up

Late October is the best time for leaf peeking IMO-

also I always like to recommend for the mountain views

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I love the Great Smoky Mountains National Park . . . and dislike Gatlinburg (and the surrounding towns) due to the high volume or tourists and car traffic. I've stayed at a couple of the timeshare resorts in the area (Wyndham Smoky Mountains and Skyview Resort) . . . both were nice and a little bit away from the main strip and people.

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
We LOVE Gatlinburg! I'm from just north of Boston, and the Smokies are spectacular! We have been in May and September, both more "off" times, and we love that. We have gone to Dollywood (your kids will love it, and the music there is FANTASTIC! my daughter graduated from Berklee College of Music and these musicians just on the street in Dollywood are first rate. You must go on the train there and get the Dollywood Cinnamon bread!)

Clingman's Dome is a must see. We have also:
Taken a day trip to Asheville and seen Biltmore (worth doing!)
Taken a day trip to the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad and done a whiskey train (they have non alcoholic ones too.)
Hiking! There are even some accessible trails for people using scooters.
We have eaten at some great restaurants, higher end ones like Chesapeake's, and just plain good old family barbecue, like Delauders.
There are lots of driving trails too... just so much!

If your family is active, there is even more to do.

We didn't stay in Westgate. We stayed in Gatlinburg right off the strip at Gatlinburg Town Square in a two-bedroom lockoff.

Have fun!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Smoky Mountain National Park is beautiful but the reason it is the most visited national park is that it has no admission fee and is within a days drive of half of the US population. It's nice. Gatlinburg in general and Pigeon Forge can get quite crowded during the summer and during leaf season. I was there in July and it was unseasonably hot (near 100 most days I was there) and the whole area was like a crowded Myrtle Beach boardwalk on steroids' without the ocean to cool off in. I have no desire to back in the summer for at least another 10 years.
True. There is no admission to the park, but the park has just recently instituted a parking pass fee if you wish to stop and visit the various attractions such as hiking, viewing waterfalls or historic sites. You are allowed to park a maximum of 15 minutes at any location. I also heard they are considering installing license plate readers at the entrance to the park. Why? Who knows.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
True. There is no admission to the park, but the park has just recently instituted a parking pass fee if you wish to stop and visit the various attractions such as hiking, viewing waterfalls or historic sites. I also heard they are considering installing license plate readers at the entrance to the park. Why? Who knows.
Does the lifetime pass that seniors purchase cover the parking pass?

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it does since I have one. But my guess is that it does not cover parking. $5 per day or $15 per week.

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We were in Gatlinburg last September, Laurel Point. Beautiful Timeshare ~ gorgeous area!!!! :love:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
The passes cover parks that charge an "entrance" fee only. They do not cover parking fees, transportation fees or amenity fees.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The senior pass does not cover the new parking charges.

The passes cover parks that charge an "entrance" fee only. They do not cover parking fees, transportation fees or amenity fees.
It seems like something a timeshare company would do. Offer something free but turn around and charge you for something that is mostly unavoidable.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like something a timeshare company would do. Offer something free but turn around and charge you for something that is mostly unavoidable.

Some parks it’s even worse. They don’t charge an “entrance fee” but they charge an “amenity fee” for a tour and o by the way the only way to visit the house or the cave or whatever is on a guided tour!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
This only went into effect this month- so here are the official details fees.htm - I know you asked about the senior pass BUT if there is a lifetime Access Pass and or a disability parking tag, the parking fee appears to be waived...

Lol the new Big bear coaster is behind schedule so I am not headed up till after it opens

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is true, but in their recently announced policies, for those who have DMV issued tags or hanging placard for their car, they do not have to pay and have the parking permit in GSMNP.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This only went into effect this month- so here are the official details fees.htm - I know you asked about the senior pass BUT if there is a lifetime Access Pass and or a disability parking tag, the parking fee appears to be waived...

Lol the new Big bear coaster is behind schedule so I am not headed up till after it opens
What I've read does not seem to apply to waiving the parking fee just because someone has the Access Pass (for those with disabilities). Only the DMV issued disability tags or hanging placard appear to be valid to get your parking fees waived. I may be wrong, and look forward to finding out when I'm back in the park in May!

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some parks it’s even worse. They don’t charge an “entrance fee” but they charge an “amenity fee” for a tour and o by the way the only way to visit the house or the cave or whatever is on a guided tour!
That's often because it is a separate company who is doing the guided tour! Some outside companies also do not honor the half-priced camping fees as another example of local implementation of the Access Pass benefits.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I've read does not seem to apply to waiving the parking fee just because someone has the Access Pass (for those with disabilities). Only the DMV issued disability tags or hanging placard appear to be valid to get your parking fees waived. I may be wrong, and look forward to finding out when I'm back in the park in May!

I hadn't even considered that as I have tags and an access pass... curious as well please keep me updated if you get there before I do.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is my understanding as well!
I hadn't even considered that as I have tags and an access pass... curious as well please keep me updated if you get there before I do.
I will be there in May! I'll be sure to post a follow-up.