• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Rescission by a Non US Citizen/Resident

Getserius

Reaction score
Greetings to one and all.
I am a newbie to this forum and my wife and I are both citizens of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago a twin island state in the southern Caribbean. We just returned from vacation while on holiday in Orlando, Florida where we stayed at Westgate Lakes and Spa. While there we had to attend a presentation as part of our vacation package.
We thought it was a great idea initially. The salesperson painted us a Mona Lisa.
Within a period of about 3.5 hours we took the bait and purchased a costly timeshare and paid down a hefty deposit, over a couple thousand dollars. (...Oh how they rang that bell and told the other sales personnel that unit XXXX was sold and no longer available. Tried to make us feel extra special and made us think we got a super deal)
That night after we got back to our room I started researching timeshares, and Westgate LLC in particular. I was appalled at the reviews after googling and watching several Youtube videos, I told my wife that we need to get out of this nightmare that we had found ourselves in.
We wrote two rescission letters that will both be sent via certified mail with a return receipt requested and within the 10 calendar day time period allowed by Florida law to cancel our contract.
One letter was mailed yesterday via our national postal service (aka TTPOST) and another will be mailed this afternoon out of a USPS in Long Island New York.
I will be returning their Android Tablet and Owners Kit next week under separate cover with UPS.
I found this forum 3 days ago and found some very helpful information as well as a lot of tips with the overall format and information that is required to do a proper rescission letter and thought I would share here for others, that may have recently found themselves in a similar situation to mine. The number one priority is DO NOT WAIT TO RESCIND.
Please see below format that could be used as a guideline to cancel your contract.

At the top of the letter we included our names, address, phone contacts and email address.

To Whom IT MAY CONCERN,
Dear Sir/Madame,

This is to notify you of our intent to cancel our Timeshare Contract that was purchased at Westgate Lakes and Spa on xx date.
As per the cancellation terms outlined in our Timeshare Contract we are exercising our legal right to cancel our purchase within ten (10) calendar days. The contract number is XXXXXXXXXXX-XXX. Regarding our Consumer protection rights and in accordance with the laws of Florida, as stated in the contract we are entitled to a full refund. We expect a full refund of XXXX.XX
All promotional materials including 1 Owners kit and 1 Android Tablet will be returned under separate cover.
Kindly confirm our legal rescission in writing via a formal letter or email, of acceptance of this cancellation.
Respectfully Submitted,

Your Name Spouse's Name
Signature Signature

We also attached a copy of the main contract page with signatures to the rescission letter.
It was mailed to:
WESTGATE LAKES LLC
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida

.....and if that is not one of the most beautiful and brilliant things that I've ever written, it certainly is in my top three.
Thanks to all the awesome folks here on TUG!!!!
I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Congratulations on finding TUG and rescinding in time! You may or may not receive an acknowledgement of your rescission. They aren't required by law to send that, but they are required by law to honor your rescission since you followed their instructions in a timely manner. Great work!

Getserius

Reaction score
Thank you Ms. Karen G. I anxiously await what happens next. I understand it could take as long as 45 days for them to process my refund from the time they receive my letter. I have no problem with that. Better 45 days than a lifetime of remorse. I might actually lose a few pounds while waiting which can't be a bad thing. :D Just so glad that we submitted our rescission in time.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
.....and if that is not one of the most beautiful and brilliant things that I've ever written, it certainly is in my top three.

lol

Congratulations; you dodged a bullet.

Here on TUG, we are delighted when people learn in time. Especially when it is Wastegate (as it is known locally).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getserius, that is one BEAUTIFUL rescission letter. I might copy it and give to others who wish to rescind Wastegate. Congratulations on finding TUG in time and for recognizing that you need to act quickly.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Getserius

Reaction score
Getserius, that is one BEAUTIFUL rescission letter. I might copy it and give to others who wish to rescind Wastegate. Congratulations on finding TUG in time and for recognizing that you need to act quickly.

Welcome to TUG!

Jim
Please feel free to share the letter.
It may help someone who may need an example of how to get out of their contract.
Share the love and be blessed.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Greetings to one and all.
I am a newbie to this forum and my wife and I are both citizens of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago a twin island state in the southern Caribbean. We just returned from vacation while on holiday in Orlando, Florida where we stayed at Westgate Lakes and Spa. While there we had to attend a presentation as part of our vacation package.
We thought it was a great idea initially. The salesperson painted us a Mona Lisa.
Within a period of about 3.5 hours we took the bait and purchased a costly timeshare and paid down a hefty deposit, over a couple thousand dollars. (...Oh how they rang that bell and told the other sales personnel that unit XXXX was sold and no longer available. Tried to make us feel extra special and made us think we got a super deal)
That night after we got back to our room I started researching timeshares, and Westgate LLC in particular. I was appalled at the reviews after googling and watching several Youtube videos, I told my wife that we need to get out of this nightmare that we had found ourselves in.
We wrote two rescission letters that will both be sent via certified mail with a return receipt requested and within the 10 calendar day time period allowed by Florida law to cancel our contract.
One letter was mailed yesterday via our national postal service (aka TTPOST) and another will be mailed this afternoon out of a USPS in Long Island New York.
I will be returning their Android Tablet and Owners Kit next week under separate cover with UPS.
I found this forum 3 days ago and found some very helpful information as well as a lot of tips with the overall format and information that is required to do a proper rescission letter and thought I would share here for others, that may have recently found themselves in a similar situation to mine. The number one priority is DO NOT WAIT TO RESCIND.
Please see below format that could be used as a guideline to cancel your contract.

At the top of the letter we included our names, address, phone contacts and email address.

To Whom IT MAY CONCERN,
Dear Sir/Madame,

This is to notify you of our intent to cancel our Timeshare Contract that was purchased at Westgate Lakes and Spa on xx date.
As per the cancellation terms outlined in our Timeshare Contract we are exercising our legal right to cancel our purchase within ten (10) calendar days. The contract number is XXXXXXXXXXX-XXX. Regarding our Consumer protection rights and in accordance with the laws of Florida, as stated in the contract we are entitled to a full refund. We expect a full refund of XXXX.XX
All promotional materials including 1 Owners kit and 1 Android Tablet will be returned under separate cover.
Kindly confirm our legal rescission in writing via a formal letter or email, of acceptance of this cancellation.
Respectfully Submitted,

Your Name Spouse's Name
Signature Signature

We also attached a copy of the main contract page with signatures to the rescission letter.
It was mailed to:
WESTGATE LAKES LLC
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida

Thanks to all the awesome folks here on TUG!!!!
I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

@Getserius Congrats on rescinding in time. Don't accept any phone calls from unknown numbers. We know of one instance in which a Westgate rescinded owner accepted a call, and the Westgate saleswoman falsely claimed the Westgate rescinded owner accepted a counter-offer. Mind sharing how much you saved with rescission?

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
That most certainly is a
beautiful and brilliant
piece of writing.

Welcome to TUG and congrats on saving yourself a huge amount of money. As grammarhero stated, don't accept any calls from Wastegate. Their only motive to contact you is to get you to not cancel the contract and will say anything to achieve that goal. There are so many great TS opportunities out there in the resale world that, should you decide that a TS is the right fit for you and your family, you will be able to purchase what you need at a fraction of developer cost.

Getserius

Reaction score
@Getserius Congrats on rescinding in time. Don't accept any phone calls from unknown numbers. We know of one instance in which a Westgate rescinded owner accepted a call, and the Westgate saleswoman falsely claimed the Westgate rescinded owner accepted a counter-offer. Mind sharing how much you saved with rescission?
I'm not going to even think "if" the rescission works, I'm being positive and claiming it the name of the ALMIGHTY.
"When" our rescission is processed by Westgate we would have saved in excess of $2500.
If we had missed the rescission "bus" the figure would be closer to 50K over a ten year period.
Not cute at all. :eek:

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That figure does not include annual maintenance fees. Add in another $1100 for the ten year period, per year.
Let's not get too carried away with the potential savings. Sure, you dodged Wastegate's bullet for initial buy-in cost, but you'll still (presumably) be taking vacations. And since you've been bitten by the 'timeshare bug', you will never be happy with taking your family to bargain hotels in obscure backwater locations- or tent camping a day's drive from home. (Though T & T has it's charms) I suspect you'll find yourself either looking through TUG's or eBay's resale offerings, and when you pull the trigger on one of those, you'll be looking right down the barrel of those annual maintenance fees. So, you got out of Wastegate, but sooner or later you'll recognize that quality vacation time has some value to you and your loved ones, and will be paying SOMETHING for the security of ensuring that it will continue to be an option.

Jim

Getserius

Reaction score
Good evening all, Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all the wonderful folks on this forum.
The advice I received on how to write a proper rescission letter was of immeasurable value to my wife and I. We cannot thank you guys enough.
I just got home from work a short while ago, and checked my credit card balance online and I'm happy to report to you,
that Westgate LLC reimbursed me all my money that was paid in full.
The credit appeared in my account today 25th October.
They received my rescission letter on the 15th October ( I sent it via USPS certified mail return receipt 8th October)
Never me and another timeshare presentation. Once in a lifetime was quite enough.
Thanks again to this forum for the pertinent and accurate information, you guys saved us a bunch.
:banana::banana::banana:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good evening all, Just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all the wonderful folks on this forum.
The advice I received on how to write a proper rescission letter was of immeasurable value to my wife and I. We cannot thank you guys enough.
I just got home from work a short while ago, and checked my credit card balance online and I'm happy to report to you,
that Westgate LLC reimbursed me all my money that was paid in full.
The credit appeared in my account today 25th October.
They received my rescission letter on the 15th October ( I sent it via USPS certified mail return receipt 8th October)
Never me and another timeshare presentation. Once in a lifetime was quite enough.
Thanks again to this forum for the pertinent and accurate information, you guys saved us a bunch.
:banana::banana::banana:
Congrats. Go out and celebrate.

Badfeeling

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but can you tell me what all you sent back? I know the tablet but what about the CD and copy of the Deed?? The Interval and Cruise and travel stuff?? I am in the process of writing my rescission letter but want to be sure I am sending everything back that they require??

Thank you anyone who can help me!!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but can you tell me what all you sent back? I know the tablet but what about the CD and copy of the Deed?? The Interval and Cruise and travel stuff?? I am in the process of writing my rescission letter but want to be sure I am sending everything back that they require??

Thank you anyone who can help me!!

The MOST important thing is to get that rescission letter out and have it Postmarked within the allowable time frame. Send it via the United States Postal Service and use CERTIFIED MAIL. Save your Postmarked Receipt.

Then, when you have a moment you can return everything else you received, and send it using a USPS Tracking Number.

Be patient and you should receive a refund within 45 days.

Glad you found us in time, and consider spending $15 and becoming a member of TUG.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I agree with TheTimeTraveler's advice above. Forget about all the stuff you received and just get your rescission letter mailed by certified mail ASAP. That is the only thing you should be thinking about at this time. Once that's done you can take your time sending back the tablet by the cheapest method possible with a tracking number.

Badfeeling

Reaction score
Thank you both, I am Canadian and still on vacation at Westgate but have had a few warning bells in the last couple days that have made me reconsider.

We purchased at Orlando Westgate Vacation Villas, just have to get the address to send the rescission letter to. Heading to the business center to see if I can access everything on the CD they gave me. Otherwise, I have recieved none of my documents from them that I electronically signed.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both, I am Canadian and still on vacation at Westgate but have had a few warning bells in the last couple days that have made me reconsider.

We purchased at Orlando Westgate Vacation Villas, just have to get the address to send the rescission letter to. Heading to the business center to see if I can access everything on the CD they gave me. Otherwise, I have recieved none of my documents from them that I electronically signed.
Check the CD for the rescission address. If your SO also signed the TS, both you and your SO should sign rescission letter. Send USPS certified. Do not hand bank to the resort and "trust" they will process rescission. How much would you save with rescission?

Badfeeling

Reaction score
Check the CD for the rescission address. If your SO also signed the TS, both you and your SO should sign rescission letter. Send USPS certified. Do not hand bank to the resort and "trust" they will process rescission. How much would you save with rescission?
I am not sure how to figure out how much I am saving but with the exchange, it is alot!!!

I did find the address and will be sending everything first thing in the morning. The funny thing is no one signed on behalf of Westgate on the deed, not sure how that works in Florida but in Canada where I am from, that would be null and void....

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure how to figure out how much I am saving but with the exchange, it is alot!!!

I did find the address and will be sending everything first thing in the morning. The funny thing is no one signed on behalf of Westgate on the deed, not sure how that works in Florida but in Canada where I am from, that would be null and void....
What was the sale price of the TS? I think Westgate has the signed version, but the cd has the unsigned version.