• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Rescind

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased at Westgate Smokey Mountain on 4/26. Started researching after I signed. (What a stupid stupid decision it is to research AFTER you sign a multi-thousand dollar contract!)

Anyway I located this site and all the valuable info on Westgate and how to rescind. I sent my certified letter on 4/30, and the tracking shows that it was signed for yesterday morning, but thus far I have not received any calls or anything from Westgate trying to talk me out of it. I know I shouldn't speak with them, but I will feel better if they at least try because then I would know I did everything correctly to rescind.

Any idea how long it normally takes them to try and contact after receiving the rescind letter? Tomorrow is the 10th day should I send a second letter just to make sure? I am very confident I did everything spelled out correctly the first time, but nervous

I also shipped back the tablet and owner's kit and included a copy of the letter in there as well that is scheduled for delivery today.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You shouldn't do anything. Calling them has no legal standing, and will just result in more lies and hard pressure. There is no reason to call, because what they say over the phone just doesn't matter.

For example - what if you call, and they (lie) and say they haven't received the rescission, or they are rejecting it, or you can't rescind? How will that help?

We've actually seen that happen with someone else's recession with another company, and then they were in a panic and kept calling over and over again - only to get more lies and misinformation.

Your right to rescind is mandated by state law - you have completed your part of the process, and you have documentation of that. Now just sit back, and wait for the refund - I'd expect it to take 30-45 days.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Stop worrying. They have no choice but to process the rescission. It can take as much as 45 days to receive your refund, and they are not under any obligation to give you a progress report. I know it makes you nervous to quietly wait, but really, that's the best way. Just know that legally, they are obligated to process the rescission, and even sleazy Wastegate won't try any shenanigans about that.

Glad you found TUG. Just out of curiosity, how much $ did we save you?

Jim

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well the purchase price was $11K. (Obviously a foreclosure from someone else).

Plus the 30, 40, 50 years of maintenance fees that would have been required as well!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on finding us in time and saving 11 grand!

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I rescinded on 4/30 and I finally heard from Westgate today. Letter arrived confirming that our contract had been cancelled.

Checked the credit card and the full amount of our deposit was refunded!

They didn't even charge us for the "contract benefits" that were allowable.

The contract called for a $200 per night charge for the extra free night we received after buying and $15 per person for the new owners breakfast, not sure why they wouldn't have taken the allowable deductions from the refund, but I am certainly NOT complaining at all!

No one ever tried to convince me not to rescind either. No calls, texts, emails, or anything! I guess they must have realized it wasn't worth trying after I found TUG and figured out what a TERRIBLE investment Westgate was.

Thanks again TUG! and I even paid my $15 membership so I can continue to learn more, and am planning on renting from here to really explore whats out there, before making any other lifetime purchases!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
outstanding, so glad you have that huge burden off of your shoulders and got a full refund!

an extra 11 thousand bucks should make your next few vacations even more amazing!