• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Rescind in process - Question about the funds refund

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Hello to all, and thank you for having me here!

As a lot amongst ourselves, I found out about this forum after finding myself into a very very bad position after being stuck for 5 hours on my last day of my vacation in Orlando with a sales rep.
I signed, thinking i might be getting a good deal but also perfectly knowing that i would have a right by law to exerce a rescind process if needed.

I am someone who is very thoughtfull and never rushes into making a decision. But that right was taken away from me when the rep forced me tostay indoors and almost forbid me to leave, stating the notary was leaving in 30 minutes and the deal was off afterwards.

Anyways, I sent my rescission letter the very next day.
I just got home and i was thinking... i made the deposit payment with 2 different debit Visa cards, and one was a temp card as I had just opened the account. The bank will now send me a new card that I will have to activate.
From you experience, will that compromise the refund process?

Thank you so much for reading me and taking the time to answer my thoughts / fears.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably better for you to seek this answer from the card issuer. Wastegate has no choice but to rescind the contract, that's the law, but we have no idea how your card issuer deals with refunds to temporary cards. Call the customer service number on the back and ask.

Glad you found us and got the rescission letter out pronto. Congrats on saving thousands.

Jim

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Thank you Jim for this very prompt answer. Truly appreciate and very anxious to get my money back...
I will contact the back tomorrow.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In all likelihood the refund will be transferred from the old card to your newly issues card automatically by the card issuer, but it wouldn't hurt to verify with the card issuer.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so glad you were able to rescind in time! you just dodged a huge bullet!

enjoy those extra thousands you just saved, they will buy you pretty much any resale timeshare you want, with money leftover!

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for answering.
TUGBrian, I am still quite new in this area, (although listening to their 5 hours speach opened some new horizons...) I have done many many researches since that day and Im discovering a lot of things.

So you still believe a TS is a good option though? Just owning it through a resale is the best thing to do ?

I dont want to deviate from the main purpose of this post so I do need to read lots more about resale or maybe even TS renting.

Now I am just so anxious to see my deposit back in my account...

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

For your peace of mind and sanity, remember that it could lawfully take up to 45 days before you see your refund.
It likely won't take nearly that long, but it could. Westgate has been known to take nearly the full time period on occasion.

There is no legal requirement that you be "updated" at any time regarding the progress of your rescission. The law requires that the rescission be processed, but does not require "progress reports". You would be wise not to call for an update, lest it lead to sales weasel efforts to get you to change your mind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for answering.
TUGBrian, I am still quite new in this area, (although listening to their 5 hours speach opened some new horizons...) I have done many many researches since that day and Im discovering a lot of things.

So you still believe a TS is a good option though? Just owning it through a resale is the best thing to do ?

I dont want to deviate from the main purpose of this post so I do need to read lots more about resale or maybe even TS renting.

if you learn enough to know exactly what you want, buying that resale is indeed a perfect strategy for ownership, with the money saved compared to what you just saved rescinding...you have years of vacations ahead of you and will still be well ahead of the game!

personally I suggest folks RENT at first to truly decide if owning a timeshare is right for them, as renting provides you the ability to stay in a timeshare...without the obligation of ownership.

if you find yourself renting constantly and truly enjoying certain places...then you can discover what resale option provides you the best value for you and your families future vacation needs! heck you may discover that renting is all you ever need!

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
*REOPEN...

Hello team, me again...

First of all, I would like to give you guys a massive shout out as I would have never been able to cancel my contract without you and the forum.
So i sent the letter a day after signing and received the $ back on my accounts today.

However, i am currently still missing $1,700... (minus $150 that im thinking is due to the collateral and tablet they gave...)

So the $1700 were paid cash... how do they refund that? My home adress is in France, are they supposed to send the cash (through a check maybe) back?
In regards to the $150 for the collateral, i have to return it to get it back but... i didnt receive any letter nor communication inregards to this so who do i send the package back to and what is my proof?

Should i reach out to them in regards to those $1700 + 150 missing? if so, how?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome back. The proof of sending the tablet and promotional material is as simple as a postal receipt. Hopefully, they gave you an address to send it to. If not, the resort where you got it will probably do. I think that if it was my $1,700 I'd be calling their business office and asking "Hey, where's MY MONEY?

Congratulations on getting released from their grip, but it appears you still have some work to do. Wastegate (as they are known here) will take any advantage they are given and make buyers hold them to their written word to even get what they are due. If you don't ask for the cash, they'll keep it.

Best Wishes and we couldn't be happier that you got away from them.

Jim

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Hi Jim,
(Your username is french btw :))

Thank you oh so much for your quick reply.
Would you have any recommandation on which number to call in order to ask about the remaining $1700?

Also, no address was mentioned on the contract as to where to return the promotional material... :/

This whole experience ruined my last family vacation day with the parents. I'm usually good at this, but damn they got me good with that one...

Jesm1029

Reaction score
Hello to all, and thank you for having me here!

As a lot amongst ourselves, I found out about this forum after finding myself into a very very bad position after being stuck for 5 hours on my last day of my vacation in Orlando with a sales rep.
I signed, thinking i might be getting a good deal but also perfectly knowing that i would have a right by law to exerce a rescind process if needed.

I am someone who is very thoughtfull and never rushes into making a decision. But that right was taken away from me when the rep forced me tostay indoors and almost forbid me to leave, stating the notary was leaving in 30 minutes and the deal was off afterwards.

Anyways, I sent my rescission letter the very next day.
I just got home and i was thinking... i made the deposit payment with 2 different debit Visa cards, and one was a temp card as I had just opened the account. The bank will now send me a new card that I will have to activate.
From you experience, will that compromise the refund process?

Thank you so much for reading me and taking the time to answer my thoughts / fears.

What was the address you sent yours to? I didn' get a packet or a deed I stopped them right after they tried to double charge me and my bank declined. However I don' trust them since they have my s.s and I did sign up untill they tried to take the money.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you oh so much for your quick reply.
Would you have any recommandation on which number to call in order to ask about the remaining $1700?

Also, no address was mentioned on the contract as to where to return the promotional material... :/
Here's what I found with a search: 2801 Old Winter Garden Rd, Ocoee, FL 34761 · (407) 355-2690 Also (407) 355-1000 was listed.

Good Luck!

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Hi Jim, Hi Jesm,

The mail adress Jim provided is the one written on the contract and the one i used for the letter.
I was not aware of the phone number so i guess i will call on Monday to find out about the rest of the money missing.

Thanks

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything you paid in cash will be refunded by check.

frenchy_chris

Reaction score
Jwalk, thank for your post! I will anxiously look into my mailbox everyday then...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Jwalk, thank for your post! I will anxiously look into my mailbox everyday then...
Hi frenchy chris im curious as to whether you recieved your cash back since i just cancelled and paid half in cash so i was wondering on how that will work out