• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Park City Week 7

gsilverman

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's help.
The Presidents week is not until 2015, so I will keep looking for Resale, and not settle for anything in the ballpark of $22K.
Thank you all.

Last edited:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone thank you once again for all of your caring advice. I really do appreciate it.

A little more info.
We are going for the $1,000 trial not this February, but Presidents 2015.
So, I do have some time to look for a resale. Which I WILL do. But, not taking advantage of a deal like that, even with a sales pitch seems crazy to me!
keep in mind, I have spoken to people on sites like sell my timeshare, and they have not seen a Westgate biannual week 7 available all 2013.

I know on Ebay they have timeshares available for a penny(but these are NOT slopside Presidents week Park City). This aint Orlando, and its the second biggest week of the year.

I also do know that it is not an investment, like a car it loses a ton of value when it leaves the "shop". But guys, I'm 36...my wife and i plan on getting a ton of use out of it, whether our future kids want it or not. Also, we have seen many many ski resorts. This property is Friggin Beautiful. Deer Park is wayyyy to rich for my blood. My friends parents own a spot at Westgate Park City for 7 years and LOVE it.

As for Sigel, I'm sure he is a miserable animal. But, he is owns the place, and I doubt he handles these smaller purchases. The owner of Amazon is Awful, but I buy their stuff All the time.

My biggest question was if you guys think I can get Westgate to go down a bit?
Not to criticize, but most of the posts here seem to me like you guys HATE timeshares. Isn't this site here to make smart choices when purchasing them?
Are most of you guys 100% against buying them? I would LOVE to do it Resale, BUT it isn't available. Again this aint Orlando. But, I WILL search for a year.

Anyway, I really would like to find out how much I could expect them to go down from the 22K... but everyone just seems like they hate the whole idea of buying one at all...Very confused.

People here generally love timeshares, they just hate to see people pay too much buying them.

You would be much, much better off renting than buying this week from the developer, even given the premium charged for Week 7.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virtually most people here agree TSs offer great value when purchased resale although renting is very viable alternative.

Likewise, when purchased from Developer a guaranteed loss of many thousands of dollars
and albatross.

Some people have more money than common sense God gave a new born jackass and time and choose to march to their drummer! Se la vie!

How much they will go down is like how much will car dealer go down? Many variables! No magic number! Does Sea-Gull need a gold faucet for his 20th bath room?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virtually most people here agree TSs offer great value when purchased resale although renting is very viable alternative.

Likewise, when purchased from Developer a guaranteed loss of many thousands of dollars
and albatross.

Some people have more money than common sense God gave a new born jackass and time and choose to march to their drummer! Se la vie!

How much they will go down is like how much will car dealer go down? Many variables! No magic number! Does Sea-Gull need a gold faucet for his 20th bath room?

Is week 7 guaranteed Presidents weeki?

gsilverman

Reaction score
Guys..thanks again.
I did some spreadsheets and understand.

I will simply rent, unless I find a miracle resell for that biannual Presidents week.
I appreciate all your help.
I'll still take them up on the $1,000 for the Presidents week 2015, but at end of week, I'll say no to them like last time.
Very much appreciate it, thank you again.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As has been said, the vast majority of us love our timeshares. But over the years, we've heard such horror stories about Westgate's sales practices that there is an 'avoid at all costs' attitude regarding them. If you hang around here for a while, just read through this thread. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73564&highlight=rescind+westgate I know it's several pages long, but you'll see why we say what we say.

I took one of those 'try-it' weeks at Westgate Williamsburg several years ago, and fortunately didn't fall for their 'charms'. Hence, I know something of what you speak. They wouldn't let us use it at Park City, or back then I might have taken the fall.

Anyway, you have a year to look for a resales. It's amazing how those become available in the mud season. Rent in the meantime. Actually, if you buy a 'floater' in the prime season and pay attention to the exact day you can book week 7, it's likely a floater will work for you.

Best wishes and I'm glad you have the information to make a decision.

Jim

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own timeshares because without them, we don't travel. If we have paid the maintenance on something, we will use it.

Also we are spoiled and find hotel rooms way too small for comfort.

Timeshares are easy to get into and hard to get out of. Westgate is very hard to get out of. Harder than most others.

Timeshare salesmen are slick. They plant ideas and create desire. They get you to think what they want you to think.

We have found that our travel patterns have changed dramatically with life changes. When we bought into DVC we thought that we would keep it forever, but we didn't. We sold the DVC. for more than we paid. It had strong exit power.

Because life doesn't proceed according to plan, exit strategy is critical. Pick a timeshare with an exit, even if you don't think you will need it.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting looks a bargain, $1,743 for the week, $249 per night.

The $22k is for a biannual. For 20 uses over 40 years it's $1100 per year plus $850 maintenance is $1950.

If paid in cash, $660 is lost in interest per year from a 10 year gov bond, let's say $450 after taxes, times 2 because biannual = $900.

Total cost per usage = $2850.

gsilverman

Reaction score
I agree...renting is the way to go...But, Presidents week is not $1,743...The cheapest I have found from owners is 3k.

gsilverman

Reaction score
NEW Offer Resale

OK guys how about this????
Christmas Week (Fixed) - still at Westgate - 17,900.(Biannual - 2 Bedroom locked). I am gonna offer 15K.

Much better then offer from Westgate corporate - Biannual one bedroom presidents week locked(22K)

I am much happier with this offer. What you guys think?
Please don't reply I can get this for a dime on craigs list(slopeside fixed is not like orlando, and especially FIXED christmas).

Also, I don't care the CEO is an animal, if I followed this philosophy I would never order from Amazon.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
What part of
DON'T BUY WESTGATE

is getting past you ?

gsilverman

Reaction score
Not helpful David...its an unbelievable resort...and I know people who have bought there and absolutely love it.

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's still a bad deal, because it's a very high price for an EOY week.

You also had better get it lock solid certain in the legal title work that it's fixed Christmas, because they're known for baiting and switching on fixed weeks. The fact it's a 2BR and the price is lower makes me suspicious.

It's not as bad a deal as the previous deal. You will not get them down to $15k IMO.

gsilverman

Reaction score
Thanks Ondeadlin, makes me suspicious also. I'll bet those bastards will switch it to float. But I'm confused, you said it wasn't a great deal cause of EOY, then you said it was suspiciously low?!?

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's difficult for someone else to see the value that you're seeing.
When I skied in VT with the ski club in the 70's, we paid $17 for both Fri and Sat and that included breakfast and one dinner. We slept 8 to a room. The lodge didn't matter. We went there to ski and party. I know people that had fun skiing in Aspen and Vail while renting condos. They talked about the skiing and partying, not the condo.

For some reason unknown to me, you are placing a very high value on the lodge, which you're not using while you ski. Only you can determine if the high cost is worth it.

It seems to me that the Christmas week might be better than week 7. Schools here in Connecticut have cut back on the Feb week 7 vacation to two days. Next year at one school that I'm familiar with it will be Fri and Mon.

A timeshare is like used furniture, it only has value when you are a buyer. In the future there might be a week 7 on ebay, yours.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
OK guys how about this????
Christmas Week (Fixed) - still at Westgate - 17,900.(Biannual - 2 Bedroom locked). I am gonna offer 15K.

Much better then offer from Westgate corporate - Biannual one bedroom presidents week locked(22K)

I am much happier with this offer. What you guys think?
Please don't reply I can get this for a dime on craigs list(slopeside fixed is not like orlando, and especially FIXED christmas).

Also, I don't care the CEO is an animal, if I followed this philosophy I would never order from Amazon.

is this a westgate resale or a private resale?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP almost seems bound and determined to become associated with the slimy likes of Westgate, so perhaps it's time to just let him go right ahead and do so, even if likely to his later great regret...

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
is this a westgate resale or a private resale?

It's Wastegate corporate- not resale, though it may be a foreclosure. OP is fully under the influence of the Kool-Aid. We tried. (sigh)

gsilverman

Reaction score
No..Passerport...I listened to u guys and wont do corporate. This is a resale.

gsilverman

Reaction score
Tiger 830../we have don't the same thing in Vermont many times. But at this stage of our lives my wife and I like the idea of a nice place slopeside without sharing a room with 6 people.

gsilverman

Reaction score
Theo...I haven't
.. which is why I'm on here talking to you guys. I liked the groups idea of Marriott on the mountain...but Westgate allows dogs ...they don't. We bring our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with us everywhere. He may he on the cover of AAA travel with your dog book. We are nuts like that. Anyway...Park City Westagte is ideal cause the airport is nearbye, they allow dogs, and its Much nicer then the Marriott (romper room) options. Anyways, that's my spiel...thanks all...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No..Passerport...I listened to u guys and wont do corporate. This is a resale.

Apologies. I misunderstood. Still overpriced, though I still don't trust Wastegate to not change your access to what you buy on good faith into something that will lose value to you.

Jim