• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Nightmare need assistance

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
a small administrative charge for any owner materials which were provided at contract execution but not subsequently returned by the buyer)

Sorry for all the questions need to know so that i can advice other people.

How much will owner materials be approximately ? It will vary by Timeshare Brand

How much does it cost to send a rescission letter via usps? Why is that meaningful to someone in South Africa ?

Can someone send me a sample copy of a rescind letter ? http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

How is the recission period for each state ? http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102785

I am suspicious of your interest in trying to "advice" people on US law from South Africa, it would appear to me you're churning your post count to gain credibility for some other purpose

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
it was going to be a great opportunity and that we would never get this opportunity again and that we could not think it overnight and we had to decide then and there.

My husband always laughs out loud when a salesman gives me that line, usually a car salesman. He knows that nothing will make me leave a business quicker than someone telling me that the deal is good today only. :wave:

Sheila

ReneeB

Reaction score
So we found ourselves in the same situation as others trying to rescind our Westgate Orlando timeshare. I found some posts from this board with a sample letter and before we left Florida, sent our letter certified, return receipt requested.
our mistake (ok so I didn't find everything here) was to call the person we closed with to tell him we were rescinding.
Suddenly, there was another option to purchase something cheaper, which they were going to email me the details. Reading the posts above, I will send another letter tomorrow (only day 9) to reiterate we are rescinding.
My question is, do we need to speak with a lawyer or is it really possible that our letter will be enough?
Thank you to anyone in advance who responds to this.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Be sure to keep your USPS return receipt for the rescission letter. We kept our Wyndham return receipt for about three years. I kept it in a safe place and knew right where it was. I was not going to have them say they never received it months later.

You should be fine with your rescission letters. Westgate really is one of the sleaziest in the industry.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are being much too charitable...

<snip> Westgate really is one of the sleaziest in the industry.

Westgate has no real, legitimate competition as "the worst of the worst" in the timeshare industry, IMnsHO. Whoever is in second place (...Legacy Vacation Club, formerly known as Celebrity Resorts, and / or Wyndham sales weasels are certainly good candidates for second place) are probably too far behind to ever take over the first place position.

Westgate is even lower than whale dung which has already sunk to the ocean floor. :rolleyes:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westgate has no real, legitimate competition as "the worst of the worst" in the timeshare industry, IMnsHO. Whoever is in second place (...Legacy Vacation Club, formerly known as Celebrity Resorts, and / or Wyndham sales weasels are certainly good candidates for second place) are probably too far behind to ever take over the first place position.

Westgate is even lower than whale dung which has already sunk to the ocean floor. :rolleyes:

I nominate DRI - Including Clooberg

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will go with Mexico for first place. Have done Mexico, Westgate and Wyndham and no contest!

As I recall a couple posts where they refused to give incentives and talked with people who they refused to pay cab fare back to home resort and cost about $40.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The contest for which sleazy salesweasel is in contention for 'lower than whale poop' is always open to conjecture. All those listed are in contention.

Buyer: Beware! Especially when on their turf. They are bad enough when encountered at airports, malls, street corners and anywhere else, but when they control your environment and ability to leave, they have 'home court advantage'.

ReneeB

Reaction score
We got our return receipt to the first letter we sent. I canceled the credit card where the monthly payment was to get charged to and started the dispute process for the west gate credit card we stupidly applied for to charge the deposit. That card will be canceled as soon as the deposit is refunded. Did I miss anything? After reading these posts I am obsessing. I won't rest easy until I know this is resolved.

ReneeB

Reaction score
So today we got a letter from west gate and I thought it was the cancellation letter but instead it's a "welcome to the family" letter. Yikes! Now I'm obsessing all over again. Did this ever happen to anyone who rescinded in the right timeframe?
Sorry to be so doubtful but it's like I can't believe it till i see it.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So today we got a letter from west gate and I thought it was the cancellation letter but instead it's a "welcome to the family" letter. Yikes! Now I'm obsessing all over again. Did this ever happen to anyone who rescinded in the right timeframe?

Spit out by their incredibly proficient waste paper generator they use to inundate owners with bogus "news" and offers to rope their friends into coming to a Wastegate resort and being forced to sit through a high pressure sales torture.

They are no where near as good at getting your cancellation correctly processed and any needed credits issued but, as you followed the rules and did it in the proper time frame, your ownership has been ended - the purchase rescinded. Nothing they do or say or mail you can change that now. Just watch for anything that says you owe them any money - only that would be a sign that they are breaking more laws by ignoring your legal right to rescind.

They are the worst and you should be on your guard but this does not sound like any attempt to "undo" your cancellation just poor communication between the Welcome Weasels and the cancelled contract group. Don't sweat it.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. This was probably sent out automatically by another department. Your credit card account will show a credit at some point. Not sure timeshares send out a cancellation letter. They just want you to find out on your own when the rescission is complete.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, no, maybe....

<snip> Not sure timeshares send out a cancellation letter. <snip>

Some do, some don't --- none are legally obligated to do so. Their only legal obligation is to process and effect the cancellation and refund (generally within a maximum 45 days) any deposit money paid. Developer can potentially deduct from that refund the cost of any so-called "owner materials" which may have been issued at the time of contract execution but which were not subsequently returned upon later rescission.

Another poster (specifically, Glock332) indicated yesterday in the TUG Buying, Selling & Renting forum having just received from Westgate a written acknowledgement of his very recent contract rescission.

Last edited:

Unlucky2.1.2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westgate Nightmare "UPDATE"

"UPDATE" Well looks like everything went as planned, Westgate finally sent a cancellation notice of my timeshare contract and a receipt for my refund with the exception 50 dollars until I return their Owners manual, the one in the big pleather binder. The timeline was approx. 3 weeks from the time I sent the original rescind notice. Its nice to know that I am free and clear of these guys. My next Timeshare purchase or experience will be done properly and resale if bought; however maybe just renting at first will be good. I would like to thank everyone who gave me the time sensitive information and steps needed to shake this mistake. If anyone would like a draft of the rescind letter or any help I am open to continue to help the cause, just reach out to me and I will do what I can.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
... I would like to thank everyone who gave me the time sensitive information and steps needed to shake this mistake. If anyone would like a draft of the rescind letter or any help I am open to continue to help the cause, just reach out to me and I will do what I can.

Well done, I'm happy for you.

The best thing you can do now is to follow these forums and watch for someone in your situation and link this thread to them so you can help them the same way you were helped.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is great news, never ever buy direct from a developer. Remember to keep all your returned paper work in a safe place.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Nice work; nice result.

I have two thoughts in regard to your research for resale timeshares:

1. Consider renting before you buy. It gives you an inexpensive way to check out the specific timeshare before you commit yourself to it year after year.

2. Stay away from Westgate -- even for resales.

ReneeB

Reaction score
Update

first- thank you to everyone who replied to my posts and helped quell my paranoia about canceling our purchase. I am THRILLED to report that today's letter was the one I was waiting for. Our Westgate timeshare purchase was officially canceled and our deposit was refunded. They want their binder back in 30 days or they will charge us $50. you can bet that will go out first thing tomorrow. What a relief! Stumbling upon this board was a blessing. I'm glad there are people out there who are not afraid to share their experiences and expertise!
Just one more question- do I need to send back our copy of the paperwork we signed? (I already made copies)
Many thanks again. (can you sense my relief?) :D

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

<snip> Just one more question- do I need to send back our copy of the paperwork we signed? (I already made copies)

No, you do not need to (and you should not) send back the originals of any contract documents in your possession which you signed prior to rescinding --- keep them. Actually, you don't really even need to send back any photocopies either, but if you feel obligated to send back anything along with the returned "owner materials", send Westgate the photocopies and keep the originals in your possession.