• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Myrtle Beach Resale - How to determine if this is a scam?

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Planet Hollywood (HGVC Elara) - Westgate Owner
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
Has anyone used David Thomas to purchase a timeshare?

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate seller. I made the mistake of sending them my info too soon, but I have not entered into any contracts. Here is some of the communications. How can I verify if the estoppel is true and accurate? I would love to own this timeshare, but maybe it's a deal too good to be true.

Timeshare Ad contact David Thomas davidatrsg@gmail.com

Inline image

https://tug2.com/timeshare-resort/r...tgate+Myrtle+Beach+Oceanfront+Resort&ID=14703

David,

What are the next steps n the process? How can I verify the details for this property? I've tried in the past to purchase from Westgate and they evoked the ROFR. Are you a real estate agent or working with an agent?

Kind regards,

Karnice

Good morning Karnice,

The next step is you sending me the following information:

TITLE INFORMATION REQUEST FOR BUYERS (INFO WE MUST HAVE)
1. Name (as you wish it to appear on ownership documents)
2. Marital Status of all parties on title
3. Vesting: sole owner, married as sole and separate property, joint tenants with rights of survivorship, tenants in common
4. Phone Number
5. Address (buyer must be able to receive mail at this address)
6. Separate email for each individual listed on the ownership
7. Are you a current owner at this resort? If so, please provide current account/contract number
8. Legible copies of a government-issued ID for each party to be listed on the title
9. Any recent Bankruptcy/Foreclosures?
10. If the title is being placed in a company or trust name we will need a copy of the established documents

The estoppel that I sent you in the previous email is the best way I have to verify the information. We get that directly through the resort. I work for a company that helps clients get out of their ownership. One of the ways we do this is by finding other people who would be interested in owning their property. As for ROFR, that is always a possibility. It is solely at the resort's discretion whether or not the exercise it and take the property back.

Also, with the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, we want to be sure you understand the current transfer process may take longer than usual. Unfortunately, we can not say exactly how long the process will take as it will depend on the resorts and counties. Things do appear to be getting back to normal though so hoping the resorts and counties are not busy playing catch-up for long.

Please confirm you understand this information as well as the information on the estoppel and wish to move forward. Once you have confirmed and sent the above infomation, I will prepare the release form and purchase agreement before sending them to you through DocuSign. As well as sending you the invoice through PayPal.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Thank you,

David

David,

A few more questions..

Is the only option to pay is PayPal?
Will title transfer be managed via an escrow company?
Who will prepare and file the title transfer documents?
How can I be sure that the seller is providing a clear title?

Kind regards,
Karnice
Hello Karnice,

Yes, PayPal is the only option to pay. Will that work for you? Assuming it will, which email address would you like me to use on PayPal for the invoice? I will be sending the release and purchase agreement to both you and your husband's email addresses that you provided.

We have an in-house Title and Deeding department that will handle the transfer, preparation of the deeding, and send off the transfer documents.

As for your last question, Westgate would not allow us to transfer any properties with a mortgage.

Please confirm you would like to move forward.

Thank you,

David

David,

I noticed that the 2BR is deeded for a different week and unit. Will this impede making a reservation for 4BR contiguous units on the same floor for the same week ? What is the best time to call you?

2000 /155A/B week 31 Odd
2000 /125C week 33 Odd

Kind regards,
Karnice
Hello Karnice,

This is a float week and float unit. They are "All Season" which means weeks 1-52. I do not believe this would impede you from getting 4BR contiguous units on the same floor for the same week. Though that may be based on availability as well. However, I do not work for the resort and the estoppel is the best information I have. You are welcome to contact Westgate for further clarification on this issue before moving forward. My supervisor prefers I keep all communication through email so it is all in writing.

Thank you,

David

David,

Is it possible to know the account details for contracting Westgate?

Kind regards,
Karnice
Karnice,

Unfortunately, we are unable to give out our client's name and account number. Everything you currently have on the estoppel is the best I have to offer. Please let me know if you have any other questions and if you would like to move forward.

Thank you,

David

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
The estoppel provided.

Attachments

• Westgate Myrtle Beach Estoppel.pdf
    238.6 KB · Views: 64

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Assume it is not a scam. Then the question is do you want to become affiliated with a timeshare company whose reputation for treating resale owners is in the bottom of the bird cage.

Do a search here on TUG for Westgate or better yet, Wastegate.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Why don’t you try Sheraton Broadway? Plenty of freebies for that. I’ve enjoyed Sheraton Broadway

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Don’t buy Westgate. Run. Buy a different Myrtle Beach resort if that’s where you want to go.

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
Ok, so the response is not to own at Westgate.. I'm too late for that advice, I already own with them at the PH (Elara) property which is run by Hilton. I've heard different things as far as Westgate is concerned. My plan is to use this timeshare at the home resort only. I'm looking for a bargain deal on beachfront ownership at Myrtle. But if this is not a good legitimate deal, then I'll pass.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you should also research the restrictions westgate places on resale purchases vs retail.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree. My concern would be that they limit the window to book a float resale so that not only would you not be able to book a 4 BR in the summer but would be lucky to book even a 2 BR in the summer and would end up being limited to booking something like 120 days out vs the 12 months for retail owners.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Ok, so the response is not to own at Westgate.. I'm too late for that advice, I already own with them at the PH (Elara) property which is run by Hilton. I've heard different things as far as Westgate is concerned. My plan is to use this timeshare at the home resort only. I'm looking for a bargain deal on beachfront ownership at Myrtle. But if this is not a good legitimate deal, then I'll pass.

They have a very bad reputation. Some people call them Wastegate. I would stay far away from that company. You will have a had time giving away that if you ever need to.

@Grammarhero has a great suggestion with Sheraton Broadway or even purchase a deed with HGVC. Their 3 Myrtle Beach resorts are oceanfront north of the Boardwalk. HGVC deeds are going fairly cheap and they treat their resale owners very well (with the exception of elite status, resale owners have the same booking windows and rights as developer bought owners). Myrtle Beach is relatively easy to book and you get the flexibility of going somewhere else.

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
Update:

I've decided to move forward. The investment so far is only $1. I am aware of the restrictions presented by Westgate, but I was more concerned about the seller and whether or not he was a scammer since I have not seen any discussions for any transactions with this particular seller. But, once the contract was signed, I received an email with the contact details going forward and I see that the seller is working with a company that has been mentioned in several TUG discussion groups, Resort Transfer Group. They have not received the best reviews, but they have completed the deal for some who have mentioned they would use them again. Most mentioned that you must have patience. So, we shall see how this goes.

As for the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resale, I did contact the customer service. They did explain that certain features would not transfer, including the float option. But this didn't deter me from the transaction due to the deeded weeks being 31 and 33 are both great for summer travel to the beach, 2BRs for week 31 and 2BR for week 33. Both units are in Bldg 2000, so there is not a crazy upgrade fee involved. Worst, case I rent one week and stay one week. Not bad for $1 if all goes well.

I purchased a Westgate Planet Hollywood (Hilton Elara) a few weeks ago in April from a different seller ( The Timeshare Group, LLC ) , and the transaction could not have went any better than it did. I'm already booked for use in the 4th quarter 2020. It was no hassle to make the reservation for non-deeded dates. I'm not sure if that's because there is a special Westgate customer service to deal with these reservations for the Elara since it's now owned by Hilton.

I update this post as time moves forward.

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
UPDATE FROM RESORT TRANSFER GROUP:

Hello again,

You have done everything required on your part. I received the signed documents and signed on our behalf. I also received your payment. I am now moving you over to our Title and Deeding department so they can start the transfer process. Generally, they will not reach out to you unless they need information from you.

Going forward, if you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to resorttransfergroup@gmail.com

That is the email of our Title and Deeding department. Anytime you email them, they should get back to you within a week. And, if they do not, please reach out to me again and I will personally make sure you get an update.

Thank you,

David

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE FROM RESORT TRANSFER GROUP:

Hello again,

You have done everything required on your part. I received the signed documents and signed on our behalf. I also received your payment. I am now moving you over to our Title and Deeding department so they can start the transfer process. Generally, they will not reach out to you unless they need information from you.

Going forward, if you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to resorttransfergroup@gmail.com

That is the email of our Title and Deeding department. Anytime you email them, they should get back to you within a week. And, if they do not, please reach out to me again and I will personally make sure you get an update.

Thank you,

David
Am I the only one feeling skeptical about these posts? Asking for a friend.

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave

It's a $1 sale. But, my concern is that I've provided all my personal information, so I hope it's not a scam to abuse my information. And, I hope it's a clean title transfer in the end. Right now I'm waiting...... I'll be updating this posts with all communications as this progresses. Other's have used them and have reported success in other posts. Search for "resorttransfergroup@gmail.com " to see the other discussions.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Make sure you update us with your actual usage. Westgate doesn't provide any information, at least not in writing, to a potential resale owner or to the current owner about resale restrictions. Without seeing detailed info, I don't think they could make a float week fixed but they can restrict the booking window. What they told you on the phone doesn't mean squat and you still in my opinion will likely end up with a float week that you can only book 60, 90 or 120 days in advance which will not get you anything other than the dead of winter or an early May week if you are lucky.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a $1 sale. But, my concern is that I've provided all my personal information, so I hope it's not a scam to abuse my information. And, I hope it's a clean title transfer in the end. Right now I'm waiting...... I'll be updating this posts with all communications as this progresses. Other's have used them and have reported success in other posts. Search for "resorttransfergroup@gmail.com " to see the other discussions.

I agree. A one dollar purchase is nothing compared to the issue of identity theft.......

Here's hoping it goes well for you without issues!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
With this being Resort Transfer Group I assume that you read the thread below?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I'm dealing with David right now and he won't give me proof that Wyndham has received my documents. I won 2 auctions on Ebay on March 23.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I'm dealing with David right now and he won't give me proof that Wyndham has received my documents. I won 2 auctions on Ebay on March 23.
I wouldn’t deal with resort sale group or their new name resort transfer group.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
As if it’s resort transfer group posting themselves to make their company look good? Weren’t they resort sales group before? The same “company” that sent two tuggers cease and desist letters for posting on here? LOL

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Four months later and still no progress? I know Corona Virus is an issue but will the seller place 100% blame on it?

Personally? I would request a refund and see what the response is.

I'm sure you didn't pay much so I am hoping you are not out a lot of money. Did you pay by PayPal? Will PayPal support your refund request?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Four months later and still no progress? I know Corona Virus is an issue but will the seller place 100% blame on it?

Personally? I would request a refund and see what the response is.

I'm sure you didn't pay much so I am hoping you are not out a lot of money. Did you pay by PayPal? Will PayPal support your refund request?

this is his response when I mentioned that I called Wyndham for an update
1596067035529.png

1596067225344.png

• Wow
Reactions: RX8

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is his response when I mentioned that I called Wyndham for an update
View attachment 24272

So presumably it was processed on or about May 22nd. More than two months ago.

Basically he's telling you that there is nothing you can do about it and it's tough s***. Obviously not going out of his way to assist your concerns.

I would elevate the case to PayPal and find out if using PayPal is legitimate to use for Real Estate transactions, and request 100% refund of your hard earned dollars.

Last edited:

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So presumably it was processed on or about May 22nd. More than two months ago.

Basically he's telling you that there is nothing you can do about it and it's tough s***. Obviously not going out of his way to assist your concerns.

I would elevate the case to PayPal and find out if using PayPal is legitimate to use for Real Estate transactions, and request 100% refund of your hard earned dollars.

might explain why they want to use paypal.
1596073012829.png

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
might explain why they want to use paypal.
View attachment 24276
They are slow and incomplete. I can see they changed their name but not their shadiness. Ask @Synergy how they work. You probably already have ownership and they didn’t tell you because they are terrible.

I was offered a unit from them that never matched the estoppel. They then said they would give me a unit equal point value at the “mix up” price. They decided to lie and say they didn’t have the unit then posted it on eBay. I confronted and they basically said “my bosswants more so we can’t give you the unit for what we promised, since it’s likely to get more st auction on eBay”.

chuckles

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be slightly off-topic, but I found this thread by searching the e-mail address used for this auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marriotts-OceanWatch-Float-Weeks-20-32-Annual-Usage/313159310386). This would be a bargain if it's on the up-and-up, but the "estoppel" that he shows appears to be the APPLICATION to obtain an estoppel, not the actual estoppel (as far as I can tell). As an existing owner at OceanWatch, I know that only units beginning with a 1,2, or 3 have oceanfront views (This one starts with a 4, which would be a building in the back of the resort). I have every reason to suspect that Resort Transfer Group is trying to misrepresent the product being sold (wrong view), and are misrepresenting the documents they're citing as proof (The estoppel is either wrong, modified, or not an estoppel at all. Sadly, I believe these people are probably scammers.