• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate foreclosure

jmasjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having written and spoken to Westgate about not using the week and returning it to Westgate 2 years ago, they have now sent me letter with 3 options:

- pay their inflated delinquent amount and stay an owner
- record of lien and a non-judicial foreclosure
- execute the Warranty Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure.

As I have no intention of remaining an owner, I would appreciate advice on which of Options 2 or 3 would have minimum impact on me.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
A non-judicial foreclosure means they won't come after you, personally, for the debt, but if reported to credit agencies, would adversely affect your credit score. A "deed in lieu of" is preferred as it may have no or significantly less effect. Both could have tax implications as they may be deemed a sale, for which you may want to consult a tax advisor.

jmasjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
A non-judicial foreclosure means they won't come after you, personally, for the debt, but if reported to credit agencies, would adversely affect your credit score. A "deed in lieu of" is preferred as it may have no or significantly less effect. Both could have tax implications as they may be deemed a sale, for which you may want to consult a tax advisor.
Thanks for your speedy response.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What state is the property in?

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
You haven’t stated what state your timeshare is located in, although because you’re posting in the Florida forum, I’ll assume it’s in Florida. That being the case, the above post with respect to a non-judicial foreclosure is correct, insofar as the end result is concerned if the foreclosure is strictly for the maintenance fees. If you don’t contest the foreclosure, the developer can’t come after you for a deficiency. If you still have a loan, the answer could change if the loan is recourse (likely) and the lender decides to pursue you for the deficiency (less likely). As to tax implications, by all means consult a tax adviser. But the answer there also depends on whether you have a loan or not. If you don’t, there will almost certainly not be a tax consequence, given that you are realizing nothing in the transaction so there will be no gain to be taxed. If you have a loan, the outstanding balance could be considered income to you if forgiven in the foreclosure or deed in lieu. There is also the question of whether there will be a credit impact as a result of either transaction. @Grammarhero keeps a running tally of timeshare foreclosures and whether they resulted in negative reports to the credit agencies. Bottom line: if the foreclosure is for maintenance fees, the likelihood of a report to credit is less likely (but not zero). Finally, both a foreclosure and a deed in lieu have impacts for future loan applications, primarily mortgage loans. The current 1004 loan application has questions about whether, in the last 7 years, you have deeded property (and the question does not specify what kind of property, so timeshares are included) in lieu of foreclosure or had any property foreclosed. If you choose option 2 or 3 and will be applying for a mortgage loan in the next 7 years, to answer these questions truthfully you will need to disclose what happened here.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
As far as I am aware, very good condition
By state, I mean US state; Florida, Tennessee, somewhere else? If it is Florida, then it seems the non-judicial foreclosure process might be the best option. The only thing they can do is take the timeshare back through foreclosure. They can't come after you for any outstanding debts after the timeshare is sold at foreclosure sale.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You haven’t stated what state your timeshare is located in, although because you’re posting in the Florida forum, I’ll assume it’s in Florida. That being the case, the above post with respect to a non-judicial foreclosure is correct, insofar as the end result is concerned if the foreclosure is strictly for the maintenance fees. If you don’t contest the foreclosure, the developer can’t come after you for a deficiency. If you still have a loan, the answer could change if the loan is recourse (likely) and the lender decides to pursue you for the deficiency (less likely). As to tax implications, by all means consult a tax adviser. But the answer there also depends on whether you have a loan or not. If you don’t, there will almost certainly not be a tax consequence, given that you are realizing nothing in the transaction so there will be no gain to be taxed. If you have a loan, the outstanding balance could be considered income to you if forgiven in the foreclosure or deed in lieu. There is also the question of whether there will be a credit impact as a result of either transaction. @Grammarhero keeps a running tally of timeshare foreclosures and whether they resulted in negative reports to the credit agencies. Bottom line: if the foreclosure is for maintenance fees, the likelihood of a report to credit is less likely (but not zero). Finally, both a foreclosure and a deed in lieu have impacts for future loan applications, primarily mortgage loans. The current 1004 loan application has questions about whether, in the last 7 years, you have deeded property (and the question does not specify what kind of property, so timeshares are included) in lieu of foreclosure or had any property foreclosed. If you choose option 2 or 3 and will be applying for a mortgage loan in the next 7 years, to answer these questions truthfully you will need to disclose what happened here.
I beleive that even in anti deficiency, they can't seek deficiency on the timeshare loan. So it doesn't matter if it is a timeshare loan or only maintenance fees they are foreclosing on.

Florida – FL, inaction or non-objection results in estate, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0721/0721.html
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61B-37

jmasjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I beleive that even in anti deficiency, they can't seek deficiency on the timeshare loan. So it doesn't matter if it is a timeshare loan or only maintenance fees they are foreclosing on.

Florida – FL, inaction or non-objection results in estate, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0721/0721.html
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61B-37
Yes, Florida State.
I note that you suggest, since we will never be seeking mortgage loans in the future, that our best bet would be 'non-judicial disclosure'. In that case we do not have to do anything such as fill out forms for them. Are we correct in assuming this?
Thank you once again.

Olive2Travel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VDP Cancun
Tax Advisor here. Also in FL.
I know it's been a while on this thread
If they cancel the debt of maintenance fees, then you usually receive Form 1099C
The value of debt forgiven is considered taxable income. Weird, right?
It's added as other income
How it all works out for you

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Tax Advisor here. Also in FL.
I know it's been a while on this thread
If they cancel the debt of maintenance fees, then you usually receive Form 1099C
The value of debt forgiven is considered taxable income. Weird, right?
It's added as other income
How it all works out for you
I believe the 1099c only applies if they have recourse on the debt. For a non judicial foreclosure in Florida it would be anti deficiency so I don’t think recourse applies.

pablo216

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lake Resort
So? How did the story end? What did you end up doing?