• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Deedback Information - Give your unwanted Westgate Timeshare back

izmunuti

Reaction score
Regarding the Westgate Legacy program, specifically doing a Deed Back for a fee. My wife called and they agreed to accept a Deed Back for a fee ($3000). I just received the paperwork and it is just a Quit Claim deed. The wording on the QCD only mentions a nominal $10 fee. No mention of the $3K. It's like they left something out of the kit. Needless to say, I don't trust Westgate and sense a trap.

We're going to call them again but, in the meantime, I'm curious about the process from anyone else who's gone through it. Was there no specific paperwork for the fee? Did you just chuck a check in with the QCD and hope for the best? Should it be a certified check or money order?

Thank you so much, anyone who can share details of the process.

-iz
Ha, talked to my wife again and she paid it already. A little confusion there! That's the only reason they even send the QCD.

So, I guess, for anyone else wondering about the process. You (1) call and get them to agree to a deed back, (2) pay them the extortion money, (3) get your QCD packet, (4) sign it and return.

-iz

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha, talked to my wife again and she paid it already. A little confusion there! That's the only reason they even send the QCD.

So, I guess, for anyone else wondering about the process. You (1) call and get them to agree to a deed back, (2) pay them the extortion money, (3) get your QCD packet, (4) sign it and return.

-iz

Just be very happy that you are finally out of it......

Deniee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace

-iz
Did you feel like you had an option to negotiate this fee you paid? And how long did it take for you to get this unreal QCD?

ElDub

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a recent quote to this thread for reference. I called the Legacy number today to ask about my timeshare (1 bedroom, even years, completely paid off), and they said it would be $3000 to do the voluntary deed back to Westgate. :cautious:

-iz
Did you finally get rid of the timeshare? How long did it take? I‘m very skeptical and don’t want to give Westgate another dime of my money. They only want to talk on the phone and don’t want to put anything in writing.

ElDub

Reaction score
It is Feb of '23 and when I called they said we 'd need to pay HOA for 2023 AND IF they want to relinquish we'd have to pay $2,500 to do it. Ridiculous. They will only let you transfer it to relatives who would then be responsible for the HOA fees. I don't see how they can limit that. The terms of the agreement say we CAN sell or transfer...and does not say to whom.
I think the Westgate legacy is a scam. They see all these 3rd party companies making money claiming to get people out of their timeshares and they figured they would do the same.

ElDub

Reaction score
It is Feb of '23 and when I called they said we 'd need to pay HOA for 2023 AND IF they want to relinquish we'd have to pay $2,500 to do it. Ridiculous. They will only let you transfer it to relatives who would then be responsible for the HOA fees. I don't see how they can limit that. The terms of the agreement say we CAN sell or transfer...and does not say to whom.
even though they tell you during the sales pitch that you can sell or transfer your timeshare, when you try, they have the right to refuse the person(s).

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Westgate legacy is a scam. They see all these 3rd party companies making money claiming to get people out of their timeshares and they figured they would do the same.
Wrong. Legacy is NOT a “scam”. It is a completely legitimate (albeit costly) “deedback“ program, with the end result being a clean, successful and lawful (albeit costly) permanent transfer of ownership back to Wastegate via Quitclaim deed. There are really precious few other ways to cleanly part company with a Westgate ownership, since such ownerships are essentially worthless in the resale market, regardless of any and all lying sales hyenas’ previous misrepresentations to the contrary.

While I have nothing but unmitigated contempt for Wastegate, the “third party companies” are the real scams, since (unlike Legacy) NONE of them actually effect a legitimate “exit” with permanent and clean transfer of ownership.

Last edited:

ElDub

Reaction score
It's March, 2019, I am starting my " Deed Back" process. They told me it would cost $1,000. My maintenance is $ 850. I'm going to do it because I want OUT!!
Did you get out of your timeshare. Now they are charging $3K

ElDub

Reaction score
Wrong. Legacy is not a “scam”. It is a completely legitimate (but grossly overpriced) deedback program, with the end result of a successful and lawful (albeit costly) permanent transfer of ownership (back to Wastegate).

While I have nothing but unmitigated contempt for Wastegate, the “third party companies” are the real scams, since (unlike Legacy) none of them actually effect a legitimate and permanent transfer of ownership.
They agreed to deed back my timeshare if I pay my maintenance. Of course they will not put this in writing. I was denied 3x when my maintenance was up to date and skeptical that they just want my maintenance. I’m tempted to pay the ridiculous $3K deed back fee but don’t trust that there won’t be some loopholes after the fact and I can’t get back my $3K, or additional fees.

izmunuti

Reaction score
Can confirm that the Legacy program is real. Not cheap but real. It cost $3K. We did it. Horrible to give those leeches more money but that was the price to part ways.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
even though they tell you during the sales pitch that you can sell or transfer your timeshare, when you try, they have the right to refuse the person(s).
thats not actually how it works. all right of first refusal does is allow them to step in as the buyer for the agreed upon sale price instead of the 3rd party.

it doesnt block your sale...and ive actually never heard of westgate actually exercising it.

ElDub

Reaction score
Can confirm that the Legacy program is real. Not cheap but real. It cost $3K. We did it. Horrible to give those leeches more money but that was the price to part ways.
How long did the process take? Are you completely done with Westgate, no more ownership whatsoever? Did you run into any problems? Did you have to pay more money on top of the $3k?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
No, that’s not how right of refusal works. Right of first refusal means the resort has the option to purchase the property from you at the same terms that you have an agreed buyer upon. If the resort exercises ROFR then the resort gets the property back and you still make the sale at the same terms, it’s just the resort becomes the buyer instead of the person you were selling to.