• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate - any resale restrictions at Elara?

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Edited: Split from another thread and edited to comply with forum rules - DeniseM]

[Reader's Digest Version: Ernie - I'm a Westgate owner, and it's really annoying to hear all the negativity about Westgate.]

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Deleted - DeniseM

Ernie, I am a personal friend of Pat H and wanted to alert her to a potential problem with WESTGATE not Hilton at Elara.
You yourself posted that the MF did not seem correct although I see that OP stared it was "mid week" which could indicate a deed for a 3 or 4 day stay, not a full 7 days. Bluegreen has similar partial week deeding as well.

Since we have never conversed before, it is unfortunate that you think I am "people like Blank" who you dislike because they dislike Westgate. To my knowledge, I have never posted a comment about Westgate....maybe you would like to do a search to prove me wrong.

I have no dog in this fight other then to advise a friend to do due diligence, and knowing her, she has already done so.

Kindly refrain from posting disparaging comments about me, personal attacks are not permitted on the board.

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked a current resale owner if the 60 day restriction was being enforced for Elara. I was told that it wasn't. Perhaps because Westgate isn't in control the same way it is in other resorts perhaps for other reasons. Never the less, that provision is specifically in the offering statement for Elara, Park City, and possibly Smokey Mountains and Myrtle Beach. My understanding is the most certainly do restrict float week resale owners at Park City.

It isn't some big conspiracy. It happens. The fact that it is in the offering statement for Elara means it is more likely to happen there than at other Westgate properties.

I have been tempted by resales at Myrtle Beach, Park City, and Elara. The deals never work out be it through ROFR or other factors. No matter how much I am tempted part of me is relieved when the deal doesn't go through. Westgate is not a company I would want to do business with despite the nice properties. When you ask Westgate they will not give you a straight answer because they won't talk to non owners. They won't tell the current owner specifics about resale restrictions because they don't apply to the current owners contract as is as the current owner is not a resale owner.

Ernie, I have heard about restrictions about depositing within II, either that owners can't choose which week or that the week can not be deposited more than 6 months before check in. This was from a poster on II, and II forum posters aren't always the most savvy so I wasn't sure if he understood how it worked or if these restrictions exist. If you have ever deposited with II, perhaps you could shed some light on the process. Many developers have restrictions on float deposits these days, so that reason alone wouldn't be enough to vilify Westgate, I am just curious in case I find another offer I can't pass up.
Tracey

Tracy thanks for your post. I have not tried to deposit into II yet but I may try to do it this year. I know I have to call and make the reservation first before I can deposit my week since it a floating week. I cant help but feel like an outcast here on TUG because of where I own. All of the bad press posted on TUG about Westgate will make it impossible to give away my week and in my opinion their not any worse than other timeshare companies.

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ernie, I am a personal friend of Pat H and wanted to alert her to a potential problem with WESTGATE not Hilton at Elara.
You yourself posted that the MF did not seem correct although I see that OP stared it was "mid week" which could indicate a deed for a 3 or 4 day stay, not a full 7 days. Bluegreen has similar partial week deeding as well.

Since we have never conversed before, it is unfortunate that you think I am "people like Blank" who dislike Westgate. I have no dog in this fight other then to advise a friend to do due diligence, and knowing her, she has already done so.

Sorry GrayFal I guess I just lost it after several years of reading about Westgate on here.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think your feelings about Westgate aren't as bad because you own at a non Westgate managed resort and are a retail buyer. Both categories that make it easier to deal with the hurdles Westgate throws. Being a resale owner at Elara may also not be as bad as being a resale owner at other Westgate resorts. Ideally if you could get someone from Hilton to put it in writing that a resale purchaser would have the same booking window as the original owner. If you own a studio this also wouldn't apply to you but I have heard and have not had it confirmed or denied that locking off with Westgate, resale owners are charged more (to the tune of 2-3X more) than original owners.

While I certainly believe there are happy retail Westgate purchasers, I am not so sure about happy resale especially owners of float weeks, there are that own Westgate. Westgate makes it that difficult.

Ernie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was just sent out to owners from the HOA LV Tower 52 but it doesnt mention anything about resale.

March 2015

RE: LV Tower 52 Vacation Suites (formerly known as Planet Hollywood Towers by Westgate)

(“LV Tower”) – Revised Reservation Rules for Westgate Owners1

Dear Westgate Owner:

In response to Westgate Owner feedback and in an effort to provide greater reservation

flexibility and other significant benefits, the Board of Directors of LV Tower 52 Condominium

Owners Association, Inc. (the “Association”) has recently approved several revisions to the

reservation rules applicable to Westgate Owners. On behalf of the Association, please be advised

that effective April 1 2015, the following reservation rules will apply to Westgate Owners:

Fixed Unit Weeks

 Each calendar year, Owners of Fixed Unit Weeks will automatically have their Fixed Unit

Weeks reserved into the Unit Type that they own.

 Fixed Unit Week Owners may cancel their automatic Fixed Unit Week reservations any

time up to 30 days prior to check-in day without penalty. Owners who cancel their

automatic Fixed Unit Week reservations will then have the opportunity to request another

reservation based on the Floating Unit Weeks reservation rules or the Expanded

Reservation Options set forth below.

 Owners who cancel their automatic Fixed Unit Week reservations fewer than 30 days prior

to check-in day will be subject to a $140 cancellation fee.

Currently, Fixed Unit Week Owners must affirmatively request Fixed Unit Week reservations at

least 30 but not more than 360 days before the start of their Fixed Unit Weeks. Fixed Week

Owners who fail to request their Fixed Unit Weeks within such time frame will forfeit the use of such

Fixed Unit Weeks during the applicable calendar year.

Floating Unit Weeks

Floating Unit Week reservations may be requested as follows:

 7-night Floating Unit Week Owners may request reservations for their Assigned Unit Weeks

in their Assigned Unit Types and Seasons from 12 months prior to check-in day up to the

day immediately preceding check-in day, subject to availability. (Check-in day may be a

Friday, Saturday or Sunday.)

 4-night Partial Unit Week Owners may request reservations for their Assigned Unit Weeks

in their Assigned Unit Types and Seasons from 12 months prior to check-in day up to the

day immediately preceding check-in day, subject to availability. (Check-in day may be a

Monday only.)

 3-night Partial Unit Week Owners may request reservations for their Assigned Unit Weeks

Friday, Saturday or Sunday.)

Currently, single Floating Unit Week Owners may request reservations of their Assigned Unit

Weeks from 10 months to 30 days prior to check-in day, and multiple Floating Unit Week Owners

may request reservations of their Assigned Unit Weeks from 11 months to 30 days prior to check-in

day. All such Owners may only check-in on the designated check-in day (currently Friday).

1 For purposes of this letter and the revised reservation rules described herein, a “Westgate Owner”

is anyone who purchased his or her timeshare interest in LV Tower from Westgate Planet

Hollywood Las Vegas, LLC.

LV Tower 52 Condominium Owners Association, Inc., 80 East Harmon Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89109

Expanded Reservation Options

Unit Splits -- Owners of lock-off Unit Types may expand their opportunities for reservations

at LV Tower starting 9 months prior to check-in day and up to the day immediately preceding

check-in day, subject to availability:

 7-night Unit Week Owners may request reservations for their Assigned Unit Weeks in their

Assigned Unit Types and Seasons with an “any day of the week” check-in up to 9 months

prior to check-in day.

 7-night Unit Week Owners may “split” their Units (if they own a lock-off Unit Type) up to 12

months prior to check-in day with a Friday, Saturday or Sunday check-in.

 7-night Unit Week Owners may also “split” their Units (if they own a lock-off Unit Type) up to

9 months prior to check-in day with an “any day of the week” check-in.

 The first Unit Split in a calendar year is free; each subsequent Unit Split within such

calendar year is subject to a fee of $140.

Currently, 7-night Unit Week Owners can only check-in on the designated check-in day

(Friday). For Unit Splits, 7-night Unit Week Owners may split their reservations to shorter stays

starting 11 months prior to check-in day (if they own multiple Unit Weeks) or 10 months prior to

check-in day (if they own just a single Unit Week). The first Unit Split in a calendar year is free;

each subsequent Unit Split within such calendar year is subject to a fee of $140.

Split Unit Weeks -- 7-Night Unit Week Owners have additional reservation options starting 9

months prior to check-in day and up to the day immediately preceding check-in day, subject

to availability:

 7-night Unit Week Owners may request reservations for 3-night Split Unit Weeks in their

Assigned Unit Types and Seasons with a check-in any day of the week.

 7-night Unit Week Owners may request reservations for 4-night Split Unit Weeks in their

Assigned Unit Types and Seasons with a check-in on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday or

Tuesday.

 The first Split Unit Week reservation in a calendar year is free; each subsequent Split Unit

Week reservation within such calendar year is subject to a fee of $59.

Currently, 7-night Unit Week Owners may split their reservations to shorter stays 120 days prior

to check-in day. Owners are limited to one Friday and one Saturday night in all reservation

combinations. The first Split Unit Week reservation in a calendar year is free; each subsequent

Split Unit Week reservation within such calendar year is subject to a fee of $59.

Partial Unit Week Owners have additional reservation options starting 9 months prior to

check-in day and up to the day immediately preceding check-in day, subject to availability:

 3-night Partial Unit Week Owners may request reservations for 3-night Partial Unit Weeks

in their Assigned Unit Types and Seasons with a check-in any day of the week.

 4-night Partial Unit Week Owners may request reservations for 4-night Partial Unit Weeks

in their Assigned Unit Types and Seasons with a check-in on a Saturday, Sunday, Monday

or Tuesday.

Currently, Partial Unit Week Owners can only check in on the designated check-in day (Friday

for 3-night Partial Unit Week Owners and Monday for 4-night Partial Unit Week Owners).

For both 7-night and Partial Unit Week Owners, in the event that the requested Unit Type is

unavailable, such Owners have the option to choose a smaller Unit Type or to occupy the requested

Unit Type for a fewer number of nights, subject to availability. Owners who accept such an altered

reservation will not be eligible for any additional nights or reservations related to their Assigned Unit

Weeks in the applicable calendar year.

Cancellation Policy

 Reservation cancellations that occur at least 60 days prior to check-in day are free.

 Each reservation cancellation that occurs fewer than 60 days prior to check-in day is

subject to a cancellation fee of $140.00.

 Re-bookings must be for Unit Weeks within the same calendar year as the canceled Unit

Week reservations.

 Each re-booking is subject to a fee of $59.00.

Currently, Owners who cancel their reservations may only re-book within 60 days of the desired

check-in day, subject to a $140 re-booking fee.

Except as expressly noted herein, all existing reservation rules applicable to Westgate Owners

shall remain unchanged. Should you have any questions regarding such existing or the revised

reservation rules applicable to Westgate Owners, please feel free to contact us toll free: 877-668-

4482 or direct: 407-722-3750 or on the association’s website: www.lvtower52association.com.

Thank you.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Sorry GrayFal I guess I just lost it after several years of reading about Westgate on here.

Thank you for your apology.

And the information listed above (post 6) regarding reservations would also be good to post in the Bargain Basement Elara thread as well.

Last edited:

ceichten

Reaction score
I just learned today that in September 2020, the Board of Directors signed a unanimous consent to no longer allow rentals at Elara for Planet Hollywood Westgate owners. I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out for Las Vegas conventions, as I have been doing now for 7+ years. The Elara front desk would not allow 2 of my guests to check in, and I was provided with the attached today. I am waiting for an answer back from the board, but I really so no choice but to sue at this point?

Also, anyone that is a Planet Hollywood Westgate Elara owner, I am the Administrator of a Facebook group called Elara Las Vegas (Westgate/Planet Hollywood) Original Owners Group, please request to join if you are an original owner.

Attachments

• LV 52 - UWC - Owner Rental Restrictions - 2020.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 47

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
You have sure posted this in a bunch of places today.

Sorry to hear the news. And sorry to learn an unfortunate soul (or their company) owns 40 Elara Wastegate units. What could go wrong?

Does your deed/contract contain language forbidding commercial rentals? Sounds like this change might cause some defaults. I doubt much good is going to happen while your lawsuit makes its way through the process.

I just learned today that in September 2020, the Board of Directors signed a unanimous consent to no longer allow rentals at Elara for Planet Hollywood Westgate owners. I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out for Las Vegas conventions, as I have been doing now for 7+ years. The Elara front desk would not allow 2 of my guests to check in, and I was provided with the attached today. I am waiting for an answer back from the board, but I really so no choice but to sue at this point?

Also, anyone that is a Planet Hollywood Westgate Elara owner, I am the Administrator of a Facebook group called Elara Las Vegas (Westgate/Planet Hollywood) Original Owners Group, please request to join if you are an original owner.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
eesh nothing good comes from Westgate.. someone wake Ernie up, I just bad mouthed Westgate

ceichten

Reaction score
You have sure posted this in a bunch of places today.

Sorry to hear the news. And sorry to learn an unfortunate soul (or their company) owns 40 Elara Wastegate units. What could go wrong?

Does your deed/contract contain language forbidding commercial rentals? Sounds like this change might cause some defaults. I doubt much good is going to happen while your lawsuit makes its way through the process.
There is no language prohibiting Rentals anywhere .

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is no language prohibiting Rentals anywhere .
There is now. It seems the BOD amended the declaration documents/bylaws. It seems your only course of action is to sue the HOA. Can't say you would be successful or not.