• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk / Hyatt / World of Hyatt Information

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR, AKL; Grandview Las Vegas; SVV - Bella; MGC
Look at my original post, the pdf labeled point valuation chart will show you how many points each unit size costs in each season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Ok, another question is welk maintenance fees higher than other ts?

Sent from my SM-T867U using Tapatalk

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR, AKL; Grandview Las Vegas; SVV - Bella; MGC
And does it matter where I get the points as long as they are welk points?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

There is a MF comparison around TUG somewhere. And the Welk 2019 fees are in this thread on post #5.

jarnson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts

My fees for 2021 were $1600.
[other specific info removed as advertising is not allowed in discussion forums. Ads may be placed in the TUG Marketplace.]

Last edited by a moderator:

usernameme

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question for everyone! If I were to add to my points thru acquiring thru a website such as Calresorts. Would Welk add them to my existing points or would they consider them on a different account? Has anyone done this?
Thanks

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
A question for everyone! If I were to add to my points thru acquiring thru a website such as Calresorts. Would Welk add them to my existing points or would they consider them on a different account? Has anyone done this?
Thanks
It would be a different account. You might be able to combine the two at an owner update by buying at least 90k points from Welk at developer prices. But there's no guarantee they'll do this.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Completely agree with Shankalicious. So your MF would be very high because you'd have two "base rates" to pay. If you want to think outside the box on this, you *could* sell the points you have through calresorts, then buy a bigger package from same.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Guitarmom

Reaction score
One more thought. If you're a Priority member, you'd lose those benefits in the transaction I described. But if you own under 500,000 (rough estimate), you wouldn't lose anny benefits.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
One more thought. If you're a Priority member, you'd lose those benefits in the transaction I described. But if you own under 500,000 (rough estimate), you wouldn't lose anny benefits.

They lowered the first tier of benefits to 420k annual. But they're nothing to jump around about.....

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Does Welk point have fixed maintenance fee for specific points? Like 240k points MF is always 1600 no matter which resort it is deeded? I can see different MF in the resale market. Just wondering if this is something to do with property tax for the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Does Welk point have fixed maintenance fee for specific points? Like 240k points MF is always 1600 no matter which resort it is deeded? I can see different MF in the resale market. Just wondering if this is something to do with property tax for the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See the chart in one of my first posts. It's per point. If it's being advertised as a week at San Diego or palm springs, it may be a fixed/floating week.
But for points, no. It is fixed with a $700 base fee and $0.0033 per point. So 240k points is around $1600 this year.
Points aren't assigned a specifc location. I bought in Branson but my title says San Diego

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Need help with this.. I really wanted to get Welk only for the Four Seasons resort in San Diego and Scottsdale in the Welk collection. Would the inventory for both in STUDIO be decent to able to book? The 1 bedroom requires a lot of points. MF wise, the studio is the most reasonable cost. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I looked at both and don't see any studios for the next 12 months. Lots of one bedrooms at San Diego and lots of 2BR at Troon

Guitarmom

Reaction score
@liongate88: You asked "Need help with this.. I really wanted to get Welk only for the Four Seasons resort in San Diego and Scottsdale in the Welk collection. Would the inventory for both in STUDIO be decent to able to book? The 1 bedroom requires a lot of points. MF wise, the studio is the most reasonable cost. Thanks "

The Four Seasons in both San Diego and Scottsdale are part of the Welk Experiences Collection. It takes 120,000 points for a Studio at either location, all the way up to 450,000 points for a two-bedroom lock-off.

Having said that, I have this vague memory that you have to own a certain minimum number of Welk points to be allowed to book in the Welk Experiences Collection. I may be wrong! Does anyone else know about this?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
@liongate88: You asked "Need help with this.. I really wanted to get Welk only for the Four Seasons resort in San Diego and Scottsdale in the Welk collection. Would the inventory for both in STUDIO be decent to able to book? The 1 bedroom requires a lot of points. MF wise, the studio is the most reasonable cost. Thanks "

The Four Seasons in both San Diego and Scottsdale are part of the Welk Experiences Collection. It takes 120,000 points for a Studio at either location, all the way up to 450,000 points for a two-bedroom lock-off.

Having said that, I have this vague memory that you have to own a certain minimum number of Welk points to be allowed to book in the Welk Experiences Collection. I may be wrong! Does anyone else know about this?
No. You don't need to own a certain number of points/own at a certain tier/level. That only applies to the disney properties in the collection

Guitarmom

Reaction score
No. You don't need to own a certain number of points/own at a certain tier/level. That only applies to the disney properties in the collection

Thank you, Shankilicious. I had heard that restriction second hand chatting with another Welk owner who had just upgraded his points. Although he had a good supply of existing points, he was told that he "needed" more points to access "The Experience Collection." Can we say "sales weasels"?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Thank you, Shankilicious. I had heard that restriction second hand chatting with another Welk owner who had just upgraded his points. Although he had a good supply of existing points, he was told that he "needed" more points to access "The Experience Collection." Can we say "sales weasels"?
Yeah, almost guaranteed. I could sell Welk all day without lying. Well, used to could have before the big question of the Hyatt Residence Club merger.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.

Yes, "sales weasels" are everywhere. At the "owner's updates", I'm always asked if I have any issues. I can always think of something. . . . surprisingly the answer is almost always, "you need more points." I'm Priority 1. I think I have enough for now.
Anecdotally, I was on a presentation in Escondido, and the sales manager said, jokingly, that more points would get us into our own special program. :rolleyes:

wallyboag

Reaction score
Thank you Shankilicious for this very excellent rundown.

My father-in-law died recently. He and my mother-in-law inherited a one week two bedroom timeshare from my wife's grandparents. Now my mother-in-law is looking to get rid of it as she does not travel often and would like to stop paying the maintenance fees.

She asked us if we were interested in having it, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it for us or not. While we do enjoy going to the resort in Escondido, I don't see us wanting to go there every year, so the exchange idea is interesting. Especially the exchange to Disney resorts. Is that something that is easy to do, or is exchanging to a Disney resort nearly impossible to achieve?

Also, what would the process be if she does give it to us? Would we inherit all the owner's perks, or would it then become a "resale" contract and we would not have all the perks of "retail" ownership?

I am thinking that if the only way for her to give it to us is through a sale, then we might as well just sell it to someone else instead of keeping it, but if it is just a matter of transferring ownership and we keep all the perks, then it would be worth it to own. Does that make sense? Is another way to do this, since the father-in-law is deceased, could my wife's mother put her on the contract instead of him, and then no sale would be necessary?

Thank you everyone for any advice you can give on this situation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
With just one week in a two bedroom, you won't be getting any perks as that's not in the points program.
However, you're in a pretty good spot as Welk has been converting fixed weeks to points any chance they get.
So have the spouse of whoever is on the title contact Welk and say they need to update to their name on the contract. Then she can transfer it to you And you can convert it to points.
What week is it?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, you're in a pretty good spot as Welk has been converting fixed weeks to points any chance they get.

I think there is a price to make this conversion. I was offered the conversion last week for the every-day low price of $13,000.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I think there is a price to make this conversion. I was offered the conversion last week for the every-day low price of $13,000.
We're they just gonna give you 240k points? Or how many?

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
We're they just gonna give you 240k points? Or how many?

My recollection is that the have to get something for the purchase; but it is likely a small amount, maybe 30,000/60,000
Re: 240,000 points. Within the Welk Experience collection, there will be some limitations at the Disney FL locations.
See more here: https://thecollection.welkresorts.com

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My recollection is that the have to get something for the purchase; but it is likely a small amount, maybe 30,000/60,000
Re: 240,000 points. Within the Welk Experience collection, there will be some limitations at the Disney FL locations.
See more here: https://thecollection.welkresorts.com
Yes, sorry, forgot to answer that. You won't be able to book directly into Disney with less than 420k points, making you Tier 5. HOWEVER, it costs half as many points to book through RCI. Yes, that means you'll have to pay the $235ish exchange fee but I think 120k points is worth a lot more than $235.