• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk resort villas on the green deeded week

RomanRod

Reaction score
I am looking at acquiring welk 2 bedroom villas on the green deeded week 52. I am being told it is a very strong trade week and also that it is a floating week but for trade purposes it's week 52. What does that mean? If I exchange with RCI do I get points in return? Or just another week somehwere? I do like the idea of using 3 or 4 nights at a time and not the whole week at once. Please chime in 2ith any knowledge on deeded weeks. I understand the platinum owners points program but not deeded weeks.

RomanRod

Reaction score
Man why can't I get a response from anyone lol. Second post I've asked for help and nothing lol

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you don't think now one is answering, I will do my best, but I don't know RCI that well, so I may make some mistakes. Hopefully, if I get something totally wrong, someone will chime in and correct me! Week 52 is normally the week including New Years Day, and as such has high demand, and I would imagine that a week near San Diego at that time of year would be a good trader. Someone who trades in RCI might be better able to quantify that for you. I do not believe that this is an RCI points resort, but again,, I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong. If it is a weeks resort, then you will trade your week for a full week, and not be able to split it into 2 stays of 3 and 4 days.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I believe that Welk Resorts are affiliated with Interval International, not RCI. At least they were when I owned them. But, the process is similar.

Week 52 is almost always a strong trader. Before jumping in you should find out how the resort is handled by the exchange company (weeks or points). The seller should be able to tell you this. If it's weeks find out if there's a way to convert to points since points is the only way to book as you want.

One plus is that it's a 2BR. That means even if it's weeks you should be able to get 2 stays out of it by splitting the bedrooms.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
Welk is currently affiliated with RCI. But expectations are that it will move to II after the contract expires since it was acquired by MVG. But it does exchange with both. Re your purchase: you will need to determine if the deed is a Flexible Vacation Ownership Interest or an Advantage Vacation Ownership Interest. The latter will give you priority access to week 52.

FWIW, I used to own at VOG (converted to the Platinum program years ago) . At the time, there were a handful of options re: split weeks. You could divide each side into individual 1-bed weeks. There was also the option to split your week into Friday-Sunday, Sunday - Friday (2/5 nights). Thus with a 2-bed L/O you could theoretically get 4 1-bed stays. But if the purpose is to exchange, my understanding is that it is a week exchange, not points.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every week sold must have a calendar week and unit assigned to it.
For simplicity, let's pretend there is one unit at that resort. There are 52 owners. Each owner owns one week, and that week number is on his deed. That serves the purpose of not overselling (e.g. the resort cannot sell 55 weeks or 67 weeks, when only 52 weeks are possible.)

In actuality, that timeshare system is "floating weeks". You do not have week 52 reserved for your use every year. If you did, that would be a "fixed week". In a floating system, you are competing with other owners to reserve the best week in your season. I do not know the Welk Seasons*. Most likely, high season is deemed to be summer weeks plus Christmas & New Years, for example weeks 24 - 36 and week 51 & 52 -- these are designated as the "highest demand weeks". Only the owners who own another high demand week can reserve those weeks, but you are competing with each of them to reserve your preferred week every year.

*Before buying, you need to understand how the Float Season to which your week belongs is defined. And how early are you allowed to reserve your preferred week. Do you log on to a website, or do you call? Then be sure to mark that day on your phone calendar, at exactly the time the reservation system opens and be ready to reserve your week. Don't be fooled - it is a competition, and you must be prepared in order to win.

---
As of a couple of years ago, Welk switched its preferred exchange company to RCI. No, you do not get "points". You get a trading power unit (TPU) between 1 and 60. The highest is 60. You will trade a full week at Villas on the Green for a full week at another resort.
If you prefer Interval, some owners are still depositing their weeks at Interval, where they exchange for another week in Interval's system.

Last edited:

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I do not know the Welk Seasons*. Most likely, high season is deemed to be summer weeks plus Christmas & New Years, for example weeks 24 - 36 and week 51 & 52 -- these are designated as the "highest demand weeks".

In Escondido, every week is considered high demand within the Welk System.

With respect to the purchase, according to the VOG financials from 2020, of the 14976 weeks that are in the VOG system, only 2917 are owned by association members. 11,573 are owned by the Platinum Program. (remainder is with the Association or Developer). This may limit your ability to make reservations at the time your prefer, albeit, it will likely not affect you if the goal is to exchange.

RomanRod

Reaction score
In Escondido, every week is considered high demand within the Welk System.

With respect to the purchase, according to the VOG financials from 2020, of the 14976 weeks that are in the VOG system, only 2917 are owned by association members. 11,573 are owned by the Platinum Program. (remainder is with the Association or Developer). This may limit your ability to make reservations at the time your prefer, albeit, it will likely not affect you if the goal is to exchange.
Thanks

RomanRod

Reaction score
Every week sold must have a calendar week and unit assigned to it.
For simplicity, let's pretend there is one unit at that resort. There are 52 owners. Each owner owns one week, and that week number is on his deed. That serves the purpose of not overselling (e.g. the resort cannot sell 55 weeks or 67 weeks, when only 52 weeks are possible.)

In actuality, that timeshare system is "floating weeks". You do not have week 52 reserved for your use every year. If you did, that would be a "fixed week". In a floating system, you are competing with other owners to reserve the best week in your season. I do not know the Welk Seasons*. Most likely, high season is deemed to be summer weeks plus Christmas & New Years, for example weeks 24 - 36 and week 51 & 52 -- these are designated as the "highest demand weeks". Only the owners who own another high demand week can reserve those weeks, but you are competing with each of them to reserve your preferred week every year.

*Before buying, you need to understand how the Float Season to which your week belongs is defined. And how early are you allowed to reserve your preferred week. Do you log on to a website, or do you call? Then be sure to mark that day on your phone calendar, at exactly the time the reservation system opens and be ready to reserve your week. Don't be fooled - it is a competition, and you must be prepared in order to win.

---
As of a couple of years ago, Welk switched its preferred exchange company to RCI. No, you do not get "points". You get a trading power unit (TPU) between 1 and 60. The highest is 60. You will trade a full week at Villas on the Green for a full week at another resort.
If you prefer Interval, some owners are still depositing their weeks at Interval, where they exchange for another week in Interval's system.
Very helpful thanks so much. I am being told by other VOG owner that they trade the mini 1 bedroom from lockoff in RCI for 13-20 TPU. And the larger full 1 bedroom for 14-21 TPU. So I'm assuming trading the whole 2 bedroom would get you 27-41? This was for various dates in January. Is that assumption seem correct? Also heard u want to time the the trade right so it's most valuable. Not sure how that works. Any idea? If summer is the hot trade time then u trade in summer?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would book 4th of July week.
Since it's a Holiday, it gives most people 1 additional day off work without having to take a vacation day. School is out, the weather is hot so guests may enjoy the pools and water slides.

It doesn't matter "when" you trade. It matters that you reserve the highest demand week at the earliest possible moment. Then, if you don't plan to stay there, or rent it out, you will deposit both sides separately. The deposit has a life of 2 years from check in date - that is how much time you have to confirm an exchange. (I don't know if at Villas on the Green you reserve the two sides of the unit separately, or whether you may reserve the entire 2 br, and then ask to have it locked-off into its two 1 bedroom units. You will have to ask that.)

However, if you have the choice to deposit the Villas on the Green to Interval, I would select that exchange company. I have attached the Travel Demand Index. The scale is at the very bottom of the graph (scroll down). It goes from 50 to 150, each column steps up by 5. You can see that the summer weeks are the most desirable.

Attachments

• TDI San Diego 2021.jpg
    TDI San Diego 2021.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: