• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Resort Question

kofori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to own enough Welk resort points for a two bedroom week stay in San Diego. Of course having joined TUG l wasn't going to buy from the developer. I finally found a resale for 300,000 points, enough to meet my goal - week stay at a two bedroom unit in San Diego. We are still doing the paper work and so am not an owner yet, but l know l can get my answer now instead of waiting to ask them when l become an owner:
1. What is the difference between a 2 bedroom lockoff unit (need 300,000 points) and a 2 bedroom unit (need 240,000 points) for a week
2. Does Welk use both RCI and II for exchange or just II. Most of what l have read only list II as the exchange company but a few list both RCI and II.
Those are my two questions.
Thanks.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have always wanted to own enough Welk resort points for a two bedroom week stay in San Diego. Of course having joined TUG l wasn't going to buy from the developer. I finally found a resale for 300,000 points, enough to meet my goal - week stay at a two bedroom unit in San Diego. We are still doing the paper work and so am not an owner yet, but l know l can get my answer now instead of waiting to ask them when l become an owner:
1. What is the difference between a 2 bedroom lockoff unit (need 300,000 points) and a 2 bedroom unit (need 240,000 points) for a week
2. Does Welk use both RCI and II for exchange or just II. Most of what l have read only list II as the exchange company but a few list both RCI and II.
Thanks.

Congratulations on your resale purchase.

240k is needed for a 2BR unit in the older section of the resort. The units are very large with virtually identical bedrooms on each side of the unit, with the living room, dining area, and kitchen in the middle. They were updated several years ago

300k is needed for a 2BR lock off unit in either Mountain Villas or Villas on the Green. MV is the newest section of the resort, but VOG units were updated within the past couple of years. MV is located farther away from the main part of the resort and the shopping area, but they have a beautiful pool up there. We didn't mind walking from there, but some people prefer a unit more centrally located.

Full disclosure, we owned one of the original units and later upgraded to the points program (300k) for the flexibility the program provided. We sold our points back to Welk earlier this year. We like the resort, but decided to focus on our other systems.

Good luck and enjoy your vacations!

Best regards.

Mike

kofori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for Response

Thanks Mike for an answering my questions. Much appreciated. Wish l had found TUG earlier.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Thanks.
Your II vs RCI question doesn't have an easy, straightforward answer. There are two situations at Welk, deeded weeks and Platinum Points.

Deeded weeks:
These can be traded through either RCI or II. In fact, I do both as my re-sale purchase included an RCI membership through 2025 and my VOG has an II membership included in my annual MF. Most times, however, I just reserve two separate weeks at Villas on the Green without trading through either RCI or II. I am limited to VOG unless I deposit.

Platinum Points:
I believe you can only trade through II, but I may be wrong. I just never see the Mountain Villas or Welk in Tahoe available on RCI, so I've been assuming that Platinum Points can't deposit in RCI. Perhaps a Platinum Points owner can clarify. The big advantage of Platinum Points is that you can make a reservation at any of the Welk properties without making an II or RCI deposit. Platinum Points have a lot more flexibility than a deeded week.

Hope you enjoy your Welk vacations. We love ours!

Guitarmom

Reaction score

Sorry, I kind of went out of order on your questions.

You can use your 300,000 points to reserve a two-bedroom lockoff for one week. This has a large one-bedroom attached to a small one-bedroom, each with its own kitchen (one full, one partial). Or you can stay for one week in a small one bedroom (120,000 points, partial kitchen) and one week in a large one bedroom (180,000 points, full kitchen).

You can also roll unused points forward for one year. This way, you could stay in one of the spacious original two-bedroom Resort Villas (240,000) in 2016, roll 60,000 points into 2017, then spend two weeks in a large one bedroom (180,000 plus 180,000 points).

BTW, in the off season in Tahoe, you can get a studio condo at Welk for just 90,000 points.

Platinum Points give you a lot of flexibility.

Last edited:

kofori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guitarmom

I truly appreciate your making time to provide me with this useful information. Have been researching timeshare ownership for over 2 years and settled on Welk but couldn't find what we were looking for on the resale market at our price range until a week ago. Waiting for the paperwork to go through.