• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Resort - Just bought two bedroom lockoff at sales office

mladyfred

Reaction score
So, my husband and I just bought a two bedroom lockoff at the sale center today. We paid about 26K cash, (not the 34K they were offering) for 1 week a year in the two bedroom lockoff, with "platinum" ownership. We like the "extra's" we get, ie: being able to use the resort / golf course year round. its a 25m drive from our house, and we plan on using it more like a country club then anything else.

If we were to cancel the sale, and buy a cheeper one, would we still get those perks? (daily use, extra week, etc?)

Thanks so much

Mladyfred

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know---BUT---probably "YES" ---depending upon how the "original" conatract is written.

MY OPINION----CANCEL "NOW" !!!

If you buy "resale", you "might not" get the golf advantage, but, I'm almost sure that you will get all of the "day use" perks.

Just "how many" rounds of golf will it take to "break even", if you were to purchase "resale" vs "from the developer??? (Will you live so long???)

Start reading "ALL" what TUG has to offer---and---if you still feel that buying from the developer is "for you"---then do it. What they are offering you "NOW", will be there a week/month/6-months/year from now.

I "KNOW" that I shouldn't say this---BUT--- if you want to go through with your purchase, then "how about" letting me sell you a "very nice" bridge on the east coast---I'll "really" give you a good deal on it !!!???

Please e-mail me privately, if you "think" I maight be able to help you with this "timeshare thing".

Tony

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I don't know the answers to your question- but I do know this: you have only a few days to rescind, but lots of time to buy. The fact that you are even asking these questions tells me that you should:
-rescind immediately, according to the directions in your contract
-take the time to learn about what you are purchasing
-take the time to explore the resale market
-take the time to make sure that you are buying what you want/when you want to visit

Only when you have fully explored ownership should you consider buying, whether direct or resale. If you do decide to buy direct, make sure you know the differences (if any) between direct and resale benefits, AND that the price difference is worth it. Keep in mind that asking prices are not selling prices. Completed Ebay listings are actually selling prices, and represent the lower end of the market. Talk to a couple of reputable brokers and find out what the equivalent units are selling for.

Remember- timeshares are easy to buy but hard to sell, and if you buy from the developer it can be a costly mistake. Take your time- that "deal" will be available next week too- or next month.
Welcome to Tug :wave:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have any uncertainty at all, rescind and research. The deal you have now will still be available to you later---or at least, one very close to it. If you later decide this deal is a good one, go back and ask them to write it up. If you decide you want to go another route, you will be able to do so.

But, once you pass your rescind date, you own what you own.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My goodness, the recession must not have hit you.
Rescind.
Learn about timesharing before you make such a huge leap. There are resale sites out there, and you most assuredly will find the same thing for about 10% of the cost. If the golf perk doesn't accompany the resale, then your developer purchase immediately declines in value, because you will not be able to pass the perk on the the next owner when you decide to sell. And someday you will sell, because timeshares make sense for people for only a portion of their lives.

mladyfred

Reaction score
how long do I have to cancel the sale? we bought yesterday afternoon.

which sites are good for resale?

thank you

m

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

thank you

m

Try eBay and buy one of the older Welk villas. They are really nice and I understand they were recently updated. We have stayed there twice now and loved it both times.

I don't know if you would get to use the golf course free all the time through resale, but that is a promise they made at the sales table, so there is a good chance that won't be forever. Developers take away benefits all the time.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Lord knows I am only learning, but from the prices I see above, I think I did okay. Not great, but not bad.
Keep in mind that the prices you see on for sale ads are just the asking price. Actual sales prices are most likely much less.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

thank you

m

Welcome to TUG. I know California has different rules for rescinding than other places. The time frame will be on the papers you signed. Look for very small print. Follow the instructions exactly. If it says fax, fax, if it says Certified Mail, send your notice Certified Mail.

Others have mentioned Ebay, Here's another: http://www.holidaygroup.com/timeshares/resort/102303

Other TUGgers have had difficulty with this seller, but many many of us have bought from them with no problems.

Keep an eye on your thread, there are quite a few Welk owners here and surely someone will chime in with the answer about golf and day use. 'Course you can call the resort, posing as an owner asking for a tee time.

In any case, whatever you'd pay for golf will cost much less than the ownership cost you incurred. Please rescind. You can always buy if it turns out to be an unbeatable deal. You can only rescind within the time limit.

Jim Ricks

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
mladyfred: the most important advice I can give you is: take your time. It is very easy to buy a timeshare. It is very hard to sell one. Spend some time learning how things work to make sure that you buy one that is right for you. I would give yourself a minimum of 4-6 months of research before jumping in. In the meantime, consider renting from some other owner to try timesharing "on for size"---you'll get a sense quickly if it is for you or not.

But, there is really no hurry. Timeshare resales have been strong bargains for years, and I don't expect that to change for the rest of this one.

mladyfred

Reaction score
we are cancelling our time share. what they told us, and what the contact says are two very different things.

taylor

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are cancelling our time share. what they told us, and what the contact says are two very different things.

taylor

That is an excellent choice! :)

Follow the rescission directions in your contract.

Take your time here on TUG and ask a lot of questions etc.

I have been to Welk in Escondido a couple of times and it's a nice resort, but with resale prices at record lows you can get a GREAT deal on the secondary market versus buying from the developer.

Good Luck! :)

mladyfred

Reaction score
I am not sure it we are going to buy one at all now. 5K for one week a year, at Welk, plus fee's it may cost us more in the long run. :doh:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Buy somewhere you would like to go all the time, and buy it for less than $1K, closing fees included. You can get Hawaii nowadays for that cost on eBay, sadly enough. Bad for those who paid retail, but good for those who buy resale. We got it great here on TUG, because we know what's good and what's just not so good.

mladyfred

Reaction score
Buy somewhere you would like to go all the time, and buy it for less than $1K, closing fees included. You can get Hawaii nowadays for that cost on eBay, sadly enough. Bad for those who paid retail, but good for those who buy resale. We got it great here on TUG, because we know what's good and what's just not so good.

ya but then you have to pay the flights to hawaii!

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure it we are going to buy one at all now. 5K for one week a year, at Welk, plus fee's it may cost us more in the long run. :doh:

Rescind NOW, take your time to do thorough research and then decide what is the best resale purchase for your circumstances. Don't give up on timesharing entirely. I love timesharing! There are many, many very good deals to be had amongst the numerous pitfalls and retail sales traps you will want to avoid. While I don't own at the Welk, I've stayed there many times. It is a very nice resort to visit and I think a very easy one to exchange into. When you exchange, your personal costs can vary significantly depending upon what you bought (resale hopefully) and are giving up for it.

mladyfred

Reaction score
we have filled in the "fax"form they offer, plus a written letter to confirm out wish to cancel.

theduffster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, I'd keep an eye on those listings for sale at those crazy prices, and see how long they're up there. My guess is that they'll be there for a loooong time.

They may be asking thousands and thousands for their timeshares. Doesn't mean that they're going to actually get that price.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to ever buy at the Welk, I would lean towards one of the old fixed 2 bedrooms at a prime time of the year (ex: 4th of July week). Then, I would choose stay there and rarely trade it. YMMV! I just found this website that seems to specialize in more reasonable asking prices (compared to the earlier ones posted): http://www.calresorts.com/Lawrence-Welk-Timeshares.html

My usual first stops for buying resale are EBay, TUG Marketplace & Redweek...

Congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save a small fortune! You are lucky! :D

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
As already stated by others, send your rescission notice exactly as indicated in your contract. The "rules" are usually near where you signed the document.

If your paperwork states that the cancellation notice is to be sent by mail (this is the most common method listed), then send it only by U.S Postal Service (your local post office), with "return receipt requested".
DO NOT send it via United Parcel (UPS) or Fedex or any other carrier. You say that you see a form to fax. In addition to doing that, I would strongly advice you to send a certified letter. This will serve as proof if you need to take them to court for refund of your money, since you did not pay by credit card.

To be on the safe side, also return any books, coupons, etc... that you were given after you signed to become an owner.

After you take care of this, breathe a sigh of relief, compliment yourself for having found your way to TUG, and take your time reading the great information contained on the various bulletin boards/forums on this site. Many of us are very experienced timeshare owners. We are here to learn and share honest information. There are members who wish someone had saved them from making the same huge mistake you almost made. Others, like myself, were saved by TUG members in time to rescind. I hope you become a member of the latter group.

HURRY HURRY HURRY HURRY

Last edited:

mlnuwer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been an owner at Welk since 1984 and I would never pay the developer's price for a week. I own 3 weeks and the total is no where near the price you are paying. My last week, purchased last Fall was $1300. For the savings my husband pays his fee, which is very low $25 to play golf there any time he want to.

We can use all the facilities like the pool, barbecue, shuffleboard, tennis, etc. any time we want at no charge. We live 10 minutes from the resort and do use it weekly. Check out the resales listed on TUG, that is where I found mine.

Nuwer@cox.net

Reaction score
If you buy a resale welk unit, you WILL get the day use privileges, but you won't get the owner "discounts" off the Galleria, Golf, Theatre and Restaurant.

The sales benefit they offer of "Free Golf" is only good after 1pm... and only lasts a year.

You are much better off rescinding and buying resale. The thousands of dollars you save can go to your green fees.:whoopie: