• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk now part of HRC [MERGED]

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I think the mobile home park, south of the Escondido resort, was owned by Welk as well. but was likely not part of the sale. I believe the Owners there have some rights to the resort amenities.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From a link IN the link sent Monday night at 7:29PM ...

"Excluded from the sale to Marriott are a number of properties that Welk Resorts owns and are not a fit for the Residence Club plans. Among them is a still undeveloped 22-acre site near Poipu beach in Kauai that is entitled for 168 timeshare units or condominiums. It also owns some land near the Escondido resort and also real estate in Branson near that timeshare property.

Also family-owned is the Los Angeles-based Welk Group Inc. that owns a number of commercial properties, as well as an entertainment division. Larry Welk is chairman of that company."

Guitarmom

Reaction score
High up on the mountain behind the Welk San Diego Resort(s) is an area called Rimrock. On one of Adrienne's breakfast chats, she mentioned that the Welk family owns the land now known as Rimrock. Lots are still for sale up there and pop up regularly on Realtor.com at roughly $200,000 per lot. The houses that have been built are majestic. At any rate, I'm guessing that the Welk family did not include their ownership of Rimrock lots when they sold the resort. Of course, I may be wrong, but the theory fits all the clues I've seen.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I think the mobile home park, south of the Escondido resort, was owned by Welk as well. but was likely not part of the sale. I believe the Owners there have some rights to the resort amenities.
At some point (in the 1980s as far as I can tell), the manufactured home village "condominiumized." Now the homeowners own the entire village: each owns the lot on which his home sits plus as a group they own everything else in common. I've heard that some discounts are offered to Champagne Village residents, and there is an automatic gate that provides a shortcut to the golf course, restaurant, etc.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I spent some time browsing the Welk property list. Branson aside (and only because that place is loaded with timeshare options), any one of their properties is a pretty good fit with the HRC, I think.

There are three or four that I would trade to right now, just to go see them. So that's not bad pickin'.

I think if HRC was smart, they'd offer some sort of "get to know each other" trade system for Welk and Hyatt owners to access the new (for them) options. I don't really care how they go about it. Points, week for week, whatever. This would also show which properties are going to see added trade stress. I'm guessing Santa Fe, Baja and the Hawaii properties for Welk. And Carmel for Hyatt. (Welk looks like they skew West Coast, with a lop-sided portfolio which seems tailor-made for Californians.)

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Threads merged.] <-- SueDonJ

Press Release

Welk Hospitality Group has entered into an agreement with Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation (“MVW”) (NYSE: VAC) to sell the Welk Resorts portfolio of vacation resorts, programs and property management contracts for approximately $430 million, including approximately 1.4 million MVW common shares. The acquisition is expected to close early in the second quarter of 2021. After the transaction closes, MVW intends to rebrand the Welk-branded vacation resorts in California, Colorado, Missouri, New Mexico and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico as Hyatt Residence Club properties.

More dilution?

Attachments

• Lawrence_Welk_Bandleader (1).jpg
    Lawrence_Welk_Bandleader (1).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I don’t own Welk but it is a good move. Welk should do better as a Hyatt brand. Besides, how people today even know the name Lawrence Welk?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
No doubt Marriott will figure a way to get Welk and/or Hyatt Owners to spring for some dollars to be part of this bigger and better organization...

George

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this is new news.

I feel like someone posted about this on the II community last spring?

edit- yes, there was a press release in April-
Marriott Vacations Worldwide Completes Acquisition of Welk Resorts
ORLANDO, Fla. , April 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Marriott Vacations Worldwide (NYSE: VAC) ("MVW" or the "Company") announced today that it has completed the previously announced acquisition of Welk Resorts , one of the largest independent timeshare companies in North America , for $485 million ,
Apr 01, 2021

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is this Lawrence Welk guy and what Is his claim to fame?

Reactions: RX8

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is old news. Many old posts from January when it was first announced.

And from April when the deal closed;

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Who is this Lawrence Welk guy and what Is his claim to fame?
A one and a two and a three..my parents loved Lawrence Welk…he had a very very successful show every week..memories:)

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I don’t think this is new news.

I feel like someone posted about this on the II community last spring?

edit- yes, there was a press release in April-
Marriott Vacations Worldwide Completes Acquisition of Welk Resorts
ORLANDO, Fla. , April 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Marriott Vacations Worldwide (NYSE: VAC) ("MVW" or the "Company") announced today that it has completed the previously announced acquisition of Welk Resorts , one of the largest independent timeshare companies in North America , for $485 million ,
Apr 01, 2021

This is not news.

Also, I’ve been to two Welk resorts including the one outside of San Diego and it’s okay not fantastic. It certainly is not in the league of Hyatt, and I believe the Marriott’s are nicer too.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Well... yeah. The Marriott's are nicer than the Hyatts.

I have only been to one Hyatt and that’s the one down the way from the Maui Ocean Club in Ka’anapali. There’s no comparison. That Hyatt in Ka’anapali is a lot nicer than any of Marriott’s I’ve been in to date and I’ve been to quite a few.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have only been to one Hyatt and that’s the one down the way from the Maui Ocean Club in Ka’anapali. There’s no comparison. That Hyatt in Ka’anapali is a lot nicer than any of Marriott’s I’ve been in to date and I’ve been to quite a few.
That is of course the premier resort in the Hyatt system. Perhaps one of only a few in the system on the same level? The two I have been to; Windward Pointe and Coconut Plantation were good, but overall not any better than the average resort in the Marriott system. There will of course be some resorts that are better than others, but we have noticed over the past few years that Marriott has gotten a lot more consistent in the quality of the villas they have been putting out after renovations. Perhaps we get better villas at Marriott resorts because we own with Marriott and get worse villas at Hyatt since we always trade in through II.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be old news to y'all. For me as a part time visitor to the land of TUG I had not heard this news. But I did visit Welk in Escondido many years ago.

Now who is this guy Lawrence Welk? He had a variety show on Sunday nights? Seems I remember a bubble machine?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It may be old news to y'all. For me as a part time visitor to the land of TUG I had not heard this news. But I did visit Welk in Escondido many years ago.

Now who is this guy Lawrence Welk? He had a variety show on Sunday nights? Seems I remember a bubble machine?
You just need to come around more often :)