• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk/Hyatt Points

Soccer Canada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Glacier Canyon Points
Hyatt Vacation Club (Pending Transfer)
Hello All,
I see a lot of Welk Points, now Hyatt (and I do realize there is a difference, I am purely speaking about the Welk System that has been taken over by Hyatt, and I do know they are different points systems currently) all of a sudden for sale/giveaway.
Is there some reasoning behind this or purely coincidental?
We had considered this to get access to some West Coast (Palm Springs/San Diego etc) and also to have some II Trading power again, and of course, this system is definitely cheaper to get into than Worldmark.

Does anyone have any insight or am I just reading between the lines too much?

Guitarmom

Reaction score
We just received our MF bill and compared it to recent bills. Our MFs have gone up $800 in two years. It has certainly made us re-think our membership. Might have something to do with memberships what you're seeing.

diegor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Vacation Club (HVC) - Platinum Points, Hyatt Mountain Lodge Beaver Creek, Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach Maui, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Carmel Highlands
Hello All,
I see a lot of Welk Points, now Hyatt (and I do realize there is a difference, I am purely speaking about the Welk System that has been taken over by Hyatt, and I do know they are different points systems currently) all of a sudden for sale/giveaway.
We had considered this to get access to some West Coast (Palm Springs/San Diego etc) and also to have some II Trading power again, and of course, this system is definitely cheaper to get into than Worldmark.

I would say you're reading between the lines too much. If you check out the point valuation chart in my other thread (see link below) you'll be better able to assess the value you would get out of ownership. I recently purchased 360,000 points account for like $200 total that also had 360,000 points banked. I was able to use 120K of that in Interval to trade for a 1-week stay at Disney Saratoga Springs, I used 180K of that to book a 1-week stay at the Sirena Del Mar resort in Cabo. And I used the remaining 60K points to book a 2-night stay at North Lodge, Lake Tahoe in the summer.

In general, a lot of owners are not very good at using their points and planning ahead. Many owners wait until the last minute to try and book something only to find no available inventory to book. I would consider joining the popular Welk Resort Facebook group <https://www.facebook.com/groups/welkresortowners> so you can see for yourself what some owners are saying first-hand.

jarnson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Hello All,

World of Hyatt purchased Welk Resorts. They still haven't integrated the two systems, so any Welk points need to be "exchanged" for Hyatt points to use them. That's all

diegor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Vacation Club (HVC) - Platinum Points, Hyatt Mountain Lodge Beaver Creek, Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach Maui, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Carmel Highlands
World of Hyatt purchased Welk Resorts. They still haven't integrated the two systems, so any Welk points need to be "exchanged" for Hyatt points to use them. That's all
Actually, Welk Resorts was purchased by Marriot Vacations Worldwide (MVW). MVW intends to eventually brand the Welk Resorts as Hyatt resorts under an existing license agreement. That said, resale Welk owners are not able to transfer points to World of Hyatt Points as that is a benefit solely for owners who purchased directly from the developer.

ambere

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk/Hyatt
Palm Springs Tennis Club (2-bedroom Wimbledon) - 2 units
Lagonita Lodge (4 units: Christmas week, New Year's Week, 2-bdrm Lakefront, 3-bdrm Bear Peak)
I would say you're reading between the lines too much. If you check out the point valuation chart in my other thread (see link below) you'll be better able to assess the value you would get out of ownership. I recently purchased 360,000 points account for like $200 total that also had 360,000 points banked. I was able to use 120K of that in Interval to trade for a 1-week stay at Disney Saratoga Springs, I used 180K of that to book a 1-week stay at the Sirena Del Mar resort in Cabo. And I used the remaining 60K points to book a 2-night stay at North Lodge, Lake Tahoe in the summer.

In general, a lot of owners are not very good at using their points and planning ahead. Many owners wait until the last minute to try and book something only to find no available inventory to book. I would consider joining the popular Welk Resort Facebook group <https://www.facebook.com/groups/welkresortowners> so you can see for yourself what some owners are saying first-hand.
The website for Welk/Hyatt timeshare owners is very helpful - it's actually being transferred over to Hyatt Vacation Club Owners, and will be private, all Welk/Hyatt members welcome to join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/676299020579031

jarnson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I am still a bit confused with all this. I know that Marriott bought Welk resorts and it is now part of the Hyatt system (and totally separate from Marriott system), and you need to exchange points (currently) for Welk to Hyatt.

What still confuses me - is it Hyatt Vacation Club, or is it Hyatt Residence Club, or are the two names interchangeable? And where does "World of Hyatt" fit in?

jarnson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Actually, Welk Resorts was purchased by Marriot Vacations Worldwide (MVW). MVW intends to eventually brand the Welk Resorts as Hyatt resorts under an existing license agreement. That said, resale Welk owners are not able to transfer points to World of Hyatt Points as that is a benefit solely for owners who purchased directly from the developer.
Marriott is the corporate owner of Hyatt. the Marriott vacation systems is totally separate. Hyatt is a subsidiary/ World of Hyatt is separate, but Hyatt Residence.
Welk Resorts was purchased by Hyatt Residence Club which in turn is owned by Marriott.
Welk points can be exchanged for Hyatt Residence Club locations as far as I can tell, but not a 1:1 transfer of points.
To make things more confusing Welk was renamed to Hyatt vacation club

diegor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott is the corporate owner of Hyatt. the Marriott vacation systems is totally separate. Hyatt is a subsidiary/ World of Hyatt is separate, but Hyatt Residence.
Welk Resorts was purchased by Hyatt Residence Club which in turn is owned by Marriott.
Welk points can be exchanged for Hyatt Residence Club locations as far as I can tell, but not a 1:1 transfer of points.
To make things more confusing Welk was renamed to Hyatt vacation club
Marriot Vacations Worldwide is the corporate entity. This is not in reference to the Marriot Vacations system, which is one timeshare program under MVW.

And no, Welk points can't be directly exchanged for HRC resorts. You can exchange for HRC resorts through Interval though. HRC is in the process of rebranding as Hyatt Vacation Club too although the programs will technically still remain separate from an owner's usage perspective.