• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welcome to the Westgate Forum on TUG!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
newly created forum here on TUG for westgate owners to start off 2023!

note ill begin moving threads over to this as I get time! and add the appropriate links in the stickies like the other forums!

How to exit an unwanted Westgate Timeshare: https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/get-rid-of-westgate-timeshare.html (updated 2/2024!)

Westgate Resort Ratings on TUG - https://tug2.com/resorts/top-rated-westgate-resorts

Westgate timeshare Resales and Rentals - https://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/search?KeyWord=westgate

information on westgates potentially "hidden" cancellation instructions in new owner package: https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/westgate-cancellation-secret-pocket.html

Last edited:

AjZa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Town Center Resort, Kissimmee Florida
Hi Everyone,
I can't thank TUG enough for these forums and the information all of you members have on these as well.
This is the first time I'm writing with a question and hope you can advise me here.

After seeing the post in the last TUG newsletter [Week 13], I contacted the Developer Services (1-800-351-0461) yesterday and spoke with a woman [Rebecca] who was very nice and asked several questions and then told me I had to merely verbally state that we are interested in the Voluntary Deed Back program. The TS is paid off [bought in 2008 :( ]and we have been diligent in paying our HOA's so we do qualify. I received an email this mroning stating they have approved it and we need to pay $3000 for the service. Honestly at this stage we are totally fine with that because we don't want to put this burden on our children. I called and I would have to pay over the phone, they would then put in the documents, send us a contract to be notarized etc. after payment and they register the new deed with the county and send us a final confirmation letter that we are no longer responsible for any payment.
Sorry for the long description but I'm writing to ask if this all sounds above board?
Many thanks.
Z

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @AjZa
Welcome to TUG

$ 3000 is not cheap - but if you wish to end your Westgate ownership it may be the easier option.

However - there is no burden on your children.

There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT - that a TS be accepted in a inheritence.
There is lots of TUG information on that topic.

I assume $ 3000 is 2-3 years of MF.
At one point Westgate was charging $1200 - but obviously they feel that there was an income shortfall and their goal is to make money.

1) are you or a family able to use the week you own / or are you making payments and not using?

2) You could try ànd give it away on the TUG free sub- forum.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

AjZa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes I did see that several people had been asked to pay $1200-1500 for this but as you say they are trying to make money now. My main thing is to know that it is legitimate. I did call Customer Service at Westgate and they did confirm it was and could see the notes from my conversation with the developer. So that was comforting.
Thanks for letting me know that it doesn't have to automatically go to our kids. I was obviously misinformed on that so it is good to know. We just want to be rid of this.
1. We have not been able to use the time and don't see us being able to do so in the near future. Yes we have been making payments and not using it.
2. I do see many people advertising these on TUG but they don't really seem to be bought up - or even taken for free. Do you know what percentage of these offers do get sold/given away? We only have a few days to accept this offer I believe and I don't want to miss it, even if it means a hefty pay off.
Thanks as always for your help.
Z

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to sell and/or giveaway Wastegate weeks (just look at eBay and see all those unsold weeks available for a mere one dollar).

It may be a tough decision for you but if you have little or no interest keeping it then the $3,000 to unload it may be worthwhile. It's a decision that only you are able to make.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes I did see that several people had been asked to pay $1200-1500 for this but as you say they are trying to make money now. My main thing is to know that it is legitimate. I did call Customer Service at Westgate and they did confirm it was and could see the notes from my conversation with the developer. So that was comforting.
Thanks for letting me know that it doesn't have to automatically go to our kids. I was obviously misinformed on that so it is good to know. We just want to be rid of this.
1. We have not been able to use the time and don't see us being able to do so in the near future. Yes we have been making payments and not using it.
2. I do see many people advertising these on TUG but they don't really seem to be bought up - or even taken for free. Do you know what percentage of these offers do get sold/given away? We only have a few days to accept this offer I believe and I don't want to miss it, even if it means a hefty pay off.
Thanks as always for your help.
Z
I think that if it was me, I'd pay their 'pound of flesh' to be rid of the leeches once and for all. Yes, it's true that your heirs don't have to accept any bequest, but why continue the bleeding if you are unlikely to use the TS?

Wastegate TSs are often available as resales for little to nothing, because they strip most of the benefits from resale buyers- like being able to select high demand weeks, and being able to exchange within the Westgate system.

Sorry they continue their money-grubbing ways, but it's no surprise.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yikes, 3000 is perhaps the highest number ive ever heard for a single ownership? by chance did you have more than one week? At least you know you have that option available, and that is the important part!

if not, perhaps a cheaper alternative would be to offer it up for free but instead include paying the 2024 annual maint fee upfront for the new buyer thus giving them a free years worth of use to make it more attractive.

even doing this would likely be half the cost of the $3000 westgate wants!

AjZa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I agree it is a lot but as you say Jim - I'm going to stop the bleeding.
I will update everyone on the outcome for those who may be considering this option in the future.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate TUG and all of you!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there is absolutely value in being done with it with as little effort spent on your part as possible!

this is 100% why "exit companies" are making money hand over fist! Im actually shocked its taken this long for a developer to simply adopt that same model and charge a stupid amount of money for an owner to surrender. really is no surprise to me that westgate is leading the way however!

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that if it was me, I'd pay their 'pound of flesh' to be rid of the leeches once and for all. Yes, it's true that your heirs don't have to accept any bequest, but why continue the bleeding if you are unlikely to use the TS?

Wastegate TSs are often available as resales for little to nothing, because they strip most of the benefits from resale buyers- like being able to select high demand weeks, and being able to exchange within the Westgate system.

Sorry they continue their money-grubbing ways, but it's no surprise.

Jim
After much research I found a way to purchase a Westgate timeshare and keep the benefits of the original owner. I am very satisfied with my resale purchase.

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
After much research I found a way to purchase a Westgate timeshare and keep the benefits of the original owner. I am very satisfied with my resale purchase.
Please do share! Is this an ethical avenue available to all buyers/sellers? My brother owns Westgate and I’d love for him to be able to sell/transfer his ownership without paying the obnoxious exit fee to Westgate.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok you got my curiosity peeked…Would love to hear how you have made it work.

AjZa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would love to know too. Too late for me but I can pass it on.