• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weird iPhone thing happened, is it compromised?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We were in Big Bear for a few days last week. First time there since Cliff got a new iPhone in January. On the winding road up the mountain, the Garmin GPS flashed a message we’d never seen before saying something about the phone wanting to connect to the Garmin via Bluetooth. I clicked on “no”, but the message appeared several more times until we got to the top. Forgot all about this until our trip down the mountain to come home.

On our last afternoon on our way out to eat one or the other of us forgot that the pre-set classical music radio station had conked out as we got out of range of home, and turned the radio on. Another unwanted station was coming in, and at the same time we were turning that off a “scam likely” phone call was coming in and the phone was inadvertently answered. I said to Cliff “hang that up” and an Asian accented female voice answered back “you don’t hang up on me, I say when this call is over”. We were about at our destination, and could not hang up the call while also concentrating on driving. We continued to hear a voice, although not necessarily directed at us and in fact Cliff thought we were overhearing someone else’s conversation (like an old party line situation). We were unable to disconnect for several minutes even after we got parked, but eventually did.

Next day we are driving back down the mountain and up pops the message on the GPS wanting to connect the phone and the Garmin via Bluetooth. Only this time it freaks us out by saying “Jang’s phone” wants to connect. Presumably Jang is the person who called the day before. Can an incoming call have hacked into Cliff’s phone? Or was this just a fluke? Anything we should do?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Start by restarting the phone, and change your logon password. If your phone settings are set to allow or automatically connect to nearby hotspots, it could be that by driving past the one called Garmin (likely a faked name to fool drivers on the mountain road), your phone tried to connect to that location. As for the "we couldn't disconnect while driving" issue, pressing and holding the upper button on the left side and the single button on the right side at the same time will allow you to shut off the phone with one swipe, forcibly disconnecting any call. No problem there.

If you have any doubts about whether your phone is compromised, go to Settings --> General --> About and see what name appears. Mine says "Dave's iPhone." If you see anything unusual, or feel there is any problem, contact Apple Support. They can reset things and make it right.

Good luck!

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Thanks, Dave. We have been taking phones classes here at the old folks home, and one thing I did know how to do that could give us a clue was to look at settings and Cliff’s name still shows up.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Dave. We have been taking phones classes here at the old folks home, and one thing I did know how to do that could give us a clue was to look at settings and Cliff’s name still shows up.

You're probably fine. I'd reset the password just to be safe. I also turn off the Personal Hotspot settings. I don't want to auto connect to anyone's network, or have them auto connect to me.

Dave

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
You're probably fine. I'd reset the password just to be safe. I also turn off the Personal Hotspot settings. I don't want to auto connect to anyone's network, or have them auto connect to me.

Dave
LOL, we don’t even know what Personal Hotspot is so presumably it is not turned on! Will change the password.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
LOL, we don’t even know what Personal Hotspot is so presumably it is not turned on! Will change the password.

Look under your Settings. One of the options is to connect to a Personal Hotspot. What that means is that if your phone is hunting for a cellular network to connect to, and an adjacent phone has service, it can be the hotspot your phone can connect to. And vice versa. Turning it off stops it from checking for the option, and removes the risk of accidentally connecting to a nefarious one (or having someone you don't want to connect to your phone without your express consent.) Just a safeguard.

Dave