• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks vs. Point Resort Chains

Wysard

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase another timeshare. I am wondering what the real advantage, if any, a point property has over a week property? I can see points if they can be traded for hotel points. I understand Hilton can be exchanged for HHonors, Sheraton Staroptions can't (depending on whom you believe) - but I can trade my week at Sheraton for points (SPG). It seems Staroptions can only be traded at their 20 resort networks (through SVN membership - I am a member even though I do not have a points Sheraton). I don't know about Wyndam, Marriott, Escapes!, or the others. So why have points that can only be used certain places - or best yet, I have a lot to learn?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Points do not tie you to one-week intervals and give you the option of staying in different size units. With HGVC, for example, booking a smaller unit than what your points would normally score, can turn one week into two, and with a 3-day minimum, you can break it up into several trips .

Points also have the flexibility of banking or borrowing in less than one-week intervals. HGVC also allows you to convert points to HHonors (but that devalues the points), keep them in HGVC, or deposit them into a corporate-RCI program, which can extend their potential life by up to three years.

Last edited:

Wysard

TUG Member
Reaction score
All other things considered equal (annual costs and purchase price say), then which points program do most believe the best?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
All other things considered equal (annual costs and purchase price say), then which points program do most believe the best?

Well that depends on you and your interests and travel habits.

You will do well to spend some time researching the different points programs because there is definitely no "one size fits all" program.

I own several points programs for different needs, for example:

I own DVC points strictly to use at Disney resorts.

I own Wyndham points to strictly use at Wyndham resorts but there is an option to use them in RCI for weeks exchanges.

I own HGVC points again to use within the Hilton club especially since I want to go to Marco island and it's easy with Hilton but not so with RCI. I also like their open season rentals which allow one to get an extra vacation without having to own more points. HGVC also trades well in RCI for those high value weeks that don't make sense with your run of the mill timeshare.

I also own RCI points for more flexibility within the RCI system. This allows me to book as little as one night or more than 7 day stays within the RCI points resort system for very reasonable fees and there are discounts offered for last minute type exchanges.

Of course there are other points programs. You should familiarize yourself with the resorts within the mini-system or points program that you think you will be interested in to see if it gives you enough options to make sense and invest in that particular system.

Many points systems have regional appeal or are heavily concentrated in certain areas like DVC and HGVC, others offer lots of options like Wyndham and Bluegreen.

Where do you live and where do you like to vacation? That will determine which points system to buy into. If you share with us, we can guide you appropriately into which system may work best for you. :)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase another timeshare. I am wondering what the real advantage, if any, a point property has over a week property? I can see points if they can be traded for hotel points. I understand Hilton can be exchanged for HHonors, Sheraton Staroptions can't (depending on whom you believe) - but I can trade my week at Sheraton for points (SPG). It seems Staroptions can only be traded at their 20 resort networks (through SVN membership - I am a member even though I do not have a points Sheraton). I don't know about Wyndam, Marriott, Escapes!, or the others. So why have points that can only be used certain places - or best yet, I have a lot to learn?

If you want a particular week at a particular place, buy that fixed week

If you want the flexibility to choose from many weeks at many resorts, choose a points system

As to which is best?...There is no best!.....I can tell you what works for me. but I cant begin to tell you what might work for you, let alone what is best for you.

For me weighing all the variables that are important to me. purchase price, annual fees, locations of the resorts in the system, quality of the resorts. I can tell you Wyndham works for me. In fact it is the only system that can work for me. However, I also own some fixed weeks because I want the guarantee of those certain weeks at that certain place.

If I could make the decision to travel at the last minute, and I wasnt tied to any particular schedule (work or school) and if I didnt much care where I stayed, and if a studio would work as well as a 2 or 3 bedroom. I wouldnt own a timeshare at all. Id use RCI's last call program exclusively

Wysard

TUG Member
Reaction score
More About My Travel Reasoning and Points vs. Weeks

I can tell you Wyndham works for me. In fact it is the only system that can work for me.

So what are the advantages that leads you to Wyndham?

To answer the previous post, here is what I want. Points or weeks both work for me. I will have to learn how each of the different point systems work.

I want a place in Hawaii for when I go there. When looking at places there I found the Westin Ka'anapali without even knowing it was a timeshare. But Wyndham and Sheraton have nice places (I know Westin & Sheraton both do Starpoints) but Wyndham resorts look nice too.

I work away from home half a year and just want places to go after I get home. I can go anywhere from a US road trip, to an Italy trip, to the Pyramids - wherever.

So I guess I am flexible in travel and points or weeks both work for me for different reasons. What I would like to know is why some people like Wyndham, Hyatt, Escapes!, Starwood, etc. over the others. My thinking puts Starwood and Escapes! as too restrictive to only a few resorts.

I have had my weeks timeshares for a while - thinking of moving on to points for those short trips.

Christmas Day greetings to all - Merry Christmas. :D

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what are the advantages that leads you to Wyndham?

I thought I was clear in my post...Why I bought Wyndhan should be of no consequence to you....I have my reasons..and you need to have yours..

for me its:

1) price...both the purchase price and the annual fees fit my budget
2) the resorts...lots of them
3) the locations...several close to home, and several in places I like to or want to go
4) the quality...a solid "C" is good enough for me given my #1,2 and 3
5) the personal factor...Wyndham is the only system that has resorts in San Francisco and Washington DC. I have children and grandchildren in both cities ..Owning there makes it easier to visit

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
If you want a particular week at a particular place, buy that fixed week

If you want the flexibility to choose from many weeks at many resorts, choose a points system

As to which is best?...There is no best!.....I can tell you what works for me. but I cant begin to tell you what might work for you, let alone what is best for you.

For me weighing all the variables that are important to me. purchase price, annual fees, locations of the resorts in the system, quality of the resorts. I can tell you Wyndham works for me. In fact it is the only system that can work for me. However, I also own some fixed weeks because I want the guarantee of those certain weeks at that certain place.

If I could make the decision to travel at the last minute, and I wasnt tied to any particular schedule (work or school) and if I didnt much care where I stayed, and if a studio would work as well as a 2 or 3 bedroom. I wouldnt own a timeshare at all. Id use RCI's last call program exclusively

How would you use RCI's last call w/o owning a TS and being a member of RCI? :shrug:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
How would you use RCI's last call w/o owning a TS and being a member of RCI? :shrug:

If RCI wont let me buy into their program without owning a timeshare, I might buy one and join RCI. Then Id sell it. and maintain the RCI membership.

If that dosent work, Id buy the smallest Wyndham points contract with the lowest mf I can find (Ive seen them at 28000 points mf under $150/yr) Wyndham comes with an included RCI membership. so now Im a member of RCI for just $150 a year, and I can use my wyndham points for up to a week at one of several Wyndham properties

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you already have a resort and an RCI Account, no one needs to tell them you aren't depositing it anymore (points or weeks).... and sold it instead. Just keep renewing before the account expires.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
If you already have a resort and an RCI Account, no one needs to tell them you aren't depositing it anymore (points or weeks).... and sold it instead. Just keep renewing before the account expires.

or just rent from extraholidays.com ;)