• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks to points

Inthesand12

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV atParkway
Hello I am new to this group and have timeshare with with VV@Parkway we recently were hard selled into switching to points we were offers 55k points for 11k and eventually they settled for 98k points for the same price for week 17. Did we make the right choice ? They are offering us the VV platinum club I think it’s called . Should we stay with our regular weeks or make this change ? Any feedback would be helpful

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
TUG people have discovered, by personal experience, that paying a timeshare company for points conversion is lots more expensive than buying a resale timeshare unit that's already converted.

Full Disclosure: Our 1BR eBay points timeshare cost us about $250. It came with free closing & free resort transfer. Before that, we had 3 different 2BR eBay points units in Vacation Village At Parkway at various times. Each of those cost us about $200. Those included free closing & free resort transfer, plus free points (i.e., paid-ahead maintenance fees). All of those are triennials, meaning the owner gets 1/3 of of their use-year points values every year. We pay the same use-year maintenance fees as everybody else, except that our use-year comes up only 1 year out of every 3. The triennial points unit that we have right now bills us every year for an estimated 1/3 of the use-year maintenance fee amount. Vacation Village At Parkway billed us the full amount in our use-years only & nothing in our off years. Not all eBay points units are triennials. Lots of'm are every-year timeshares & some are biennials. Any way you shake it, the cost via eBay is way less than what the timeshare company charges to convert what you already own.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hello I am new to this group and have timeshare with with VV@Parkway we recently were hard selled into switching to points we were offers 55k points for 11k and eventually they settled for 98k points for the same price for week 17. Did we make the right choice ? They are offering us the VV platinum club I think it’s called . Should we stay with our regular weeks or make this change ? Any feedback would be helpful
You can probably find a 98k VV at parkway for $0-$500 plus the cost to set up the rci account which you are probably paying for as well as closing and other costs when purchasing direct. You wouldn't get VV platinum so exchanges would cost more through RCI. You would likely get 1 bonus cert good for 45 day or less exchange using no points but paying the $249 exchange fee. So it would take a lot of discounted exchanges to make up for that $10,000+

Do you already own a week there and are just converting? In this case it sounds like they are taking your week back and giving you a higher value week. The problem is giving away your timeshare may take quite a long time and would likely cost you a year or two or three in prepaid MF's as an incentive for someone to take it. It still might be cheaper than paying $11,000 for the new week.

Inthesand12

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV atParkway
Thank you
TUG people have discovered, by personal experience, that paying a timeshare company for points conversion is lots more expensive than buying a resale timeshare unit that's already converted.

Full Disclosure: Our 1BR eBay points timeshare cost us about $250. It came with free closing & free resort transfer. Before that, we had 3 different 2BR eBay points units in Vacation Village At Parkway at various times. Each of those cost us about $200. Those included free closing & free resort transfer, plus free points (i.e., paid-ahead maintenance fees). All of those are triennials, meaning the owner gets 1/3 of of their use-year points values every year. We pay the same use-year maintenance fees as everybody else, except that our use-year comes up only 1 year out of every 3. The triennial points unit that we have right now bills us every year for an estimated 1/3 of the use-year maintenance fee amount. Vacation Village At Parkway billed us the full amount in our use-years only & nothing in our off years. Not all eBay points units are triennials. Lots of'm are every-year timeshares & some are biennials. Any way you shake it, the cost via eBay is way less than what the timeshare company charges to convert what you already own.

thank you so if u want point should I purchase

thank you what would you recommend I have weeks now but wants the flexibility point offer do I need to sell my weeks timeshare on eBay to buy a points timeshare this is all so confusing

Inthesand12

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV atParkway
You can probably find a 98k VV at parkway for $0-$500 plus the cost to set up the rci account which you are probably paying for as well as closing and other costs when purchasing direct. You wouldn't get VV platinum so exchanges would cost more through RCI. You would likely get 1 bonus cert good for 45 day or less exchange using no points but paying the $249 exchange fee. So it would take a lot of discounted exchanges to make up for that $10,000+

Do you already own a week there and are just converting? In this case it sounds like they are taking your week back and giving you a higher value week. The problem is giving away your timeshare may take quite a long time and would likely cost you a year or two or three in prepaid MF's as an incentive for someone to take it. It still might be cheaper than paying $11,000 for the new week.
Yes I have weeks now and they are taking my weeks so I can purchase another timeshare with points. They said that the VV platinum is included

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes I have weeks now and they are taking my weeks so I can purchase another timeshare with points. They said that the VV platinum is included
They may pay for it for a year or two and I don't think you pay more than a normal points account but I don't think they will pay your RCI points membership forever. If you pay every 2 years the annullized fee is around $120.

My question is the $11,000 everything out of pocket or was there another $700-1200 in closing costs and other fees?

Inthesand12

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV atParkway
They may pay for it for a year or two and I don't think you pay more than a normal points account but I don't think they will pay your RCI points membership forever. If you pay every 2 years the annullized fee is around $120.

My question is the $11,000 everything out of pocket or was there another $700-1200 in closing costs and other fees?
We had 18,900 of equity on our timeshare so they said they were going to take that and add it to the cost what we financed was 11k and we put down around 1 thousand to close

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We had 18,900 of equity on our timeshare so they said they were going to take that and add it to the cost what we financed was 11k and we put down around 1 thousand to close
Do not buy points for 11K! That’s insanity. You can get great points accounts on eBay if you’re patient for a few hundred bucks. Although, Grandview 2 bedroom 122K RCI points sold today for $1950. I know others who paid a few hundred for units like that.