• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weeks to Points Upgrade

svdpad

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a deeded week at VV at Parkway for annual usage. At an owner's update they offer 92K points for 7K + closing.

Is it worth it? Advice great appreciated.

Thank you

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We have a deeded week at VV at Parkway for annual usage. At an owner's update they offer 92K points for 7K + closing.

Is it worth it? Advice great appreciated.

Thank you

short answer is no

If you want to be involved in the rci points program you will get by a lot cheaper by giving your week away and buying a points contract on the secondary market

FYI, I own a week at Vacation Village and it works fine in the weeks side of RCI

svdpad

Reaction score
Thank you for quick response. Are the points that Vacation Village gives and points buying on secondary market the same?

What do you mean by giving away the week? Essentially what you are saying is give up the deeded week? And for that it has no cash value. Is that correct?

Also Is it OK if I rent out the RCI weeks?

Can I rent out Exchange weeks too? How do I do that?

Thank you

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the points that Vacation Village gives and points buying on secondary market the same?

RCI Points are identical (except in number) to any and all other RCI Points, wherever acquired and whether acquired through overpriced "upgrade" of a fixed week or by being acquired already attached to any week purchased in the secondary market. Similarly true for any and all other point systems as well (Hyatt, Wyndham, etc.).

Weeks acquired from RCI (or from II) via "exchange" cannot be rented out, as specifically stated in the terms and conditions of membership of both RCI and II.
That's not to say that people don't do so anyhow, but it is clearly prohibited and could be risky, potentially jeopardizing the would-be "landlord" exchange company membership (suspension or termination of membership), also potentially jeopardizing occupancy for the would-be fully paid "tenant", if discovered and turned away.

If you really want RCI Points, rather than "upgrade" your existing fixed week for far too much money ($7K is just obscene :eek:), find and buy a resale week with RCI Points already attached --- at any facility where the points to maintenance fee ratio is reasonable; such weeks are regularly available on eBay for peanuts. In the end, "points are points", as already addressed. If you go that route, you can keep (or dump) your existing fixed week; that's a personal decision to be based in part upon whether you're willing to have two annual maintenance fee obligations instead of just one and how much you like and / or use your existing fixed week now.
You may want to have both --- I dunno. :shrug:

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for quick response. Are the points that Vacation Village gives and points buying on secondary market the same?

What do you mean by giving away the week? Essentially what you are saying is give up the deeded week? And for that it has no cash value. Is that correct?

Also Is it OK if I rent out the RCI weeks?

Thank you

sell it if you want, or give it away, it makes no difference . Heres an example of a points contract that sold on ebay recently 86500 rci points for $20 plus $199 closing. Compare that to the $7000 at the resort

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-500-RCI-...317851?hash=item1a14ee669b:g:MbgAAOxyIv5TldU-

and no you cant rent RCI exchanges.

and yes, to my knowledge, points are points, they all work the same. The difference from one resort to another is the maintenance fees you will pay. Conventional wisdom is that a penny a point is pretty good. so a Vacation Village at Park way week that give you over 90000 points for a $800 maintenance fee, is pretty good.

svdpad

Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you very much guys or gals for your guidance. I had actually paid them 7K. I just went today and cancelled the contract change. That was a lot of dough and your advise was timely.

Thanks again.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much guys or gals for your guidance. I had actually paid them 7K. I just went today and cancelled the contract change. That was a lot of dough and your advise was timely.

Thanks again.

Good job. It's usually not advisable to make a "personal appearance" to rescind (cancel) any type of timeshare purchase. Did you get any grief in doing so?
Did they provide you with any form of written confirmation of your cancellation? (rescissions are usually required to be submitted in writing).

svdpad

Reaction score
Cancellation

I went to the closing officer. She asked for a written letter. That simply said I would like to cancel the contract (new contract #). And I just said for financial reasons.

1 Guy stopped over to ask. I said, right now is not a good time for me due to financial reasons and he backed off. Then the closing officer came back and signed it herself, made a copy of the paper and gave it to me. They took all the paperwork I signed before.

So If I go and buy the points as per previous posts, does that give me a deeded week with points.

Does that add to my current RCI membership or do I have to create a new RCI membership for that?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> So If I go and buy the points as per previous posts, does that give me a deeded week with points?

Yes. RCI "Points weeks" still have an associated underlying recorded deed identifying a unit / week at the home resort.

Does that add to my current RCI membership or do I have to create a new RCI membership for that?

RCI Points and RCI Weeks are different flavors of RCI membership, so you would have to initiate a RCI Points membership if you buy a RCI Points-associated week, regardless of whether any such new RCI "Points week" is at your current resort (where you reportedly own a fixed week) or somewhere / anywhere else.

Last edited: