• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weekend "Getaways" at Desert Springs Villas?

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can owners at DSV pay for weekend getaways if space is available? If so, what is the process and cost for the studio, 1 BR, and full 2 BR?

Jeff

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course, why not? I own at Timber Lodge and sometimes pay for getaways for times when I can't get a unit.

You would have to check the II website for prices and availability. There is a tab for getaways. Also, sometimes I call II directly and they can help me find the units I want.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
II Getaways are usually a full week and the cost varies with the season. Sometimes you can get a great deal, less than maintenance fees.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Jeff,
The getaways can only be purchased through II. Usually there are weeks available from May-Dec and sometimes in early January. Typically they run about $400-$600 a week ($400 for the lockout, $600 2 bed range). However I just checked and I see now they have lots of lockout available (only studio) through March at about $700 a week. I then see 1 & 2 bedrooms available in June at about $800. Nothing in April & May now....If you wait until you get closer to summer these prices will come down, although I have never seen them this high and even available in Feb & March...

I reread your question. There is no such thing as a weekend only getaway...They are all for a full week. However you can rent on a nightly basis and get the MOD discount for owners...I think it ranges from about 20-35% off the nightly rate.

Last edited:

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
...you can rent on a nightly basis and get the MOD discount for owners...I think it ranges from about 20-35% off the nightly rate.

Thanks Chris, THAT was what I was asking about...just renting a weekend. I realize II calls the extra weeks they offer "Getaways", but I thought that is also what the timeshares call the weekends they will rent at the last moment if available.

So who do I contact about these, are they worth it, and are they available at ALL Marriotts or only at those I own?

Jeff

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
You can get that rate at all the Marriott timeshares if they have dates available. Go to Marriott.com and select your resort, put the dates in your interested, and put the promotion code "mod". Sometimes the discount is better than other times. The rate is ok, better than without it, but not as good on a daily basis and the II getaways. I have found sometimes your better off (less costly) to get a getaway from II and only stay about 3/4 days.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

You can check availability yourself on the Marriott website. Search for dates using MOD as the discount code. When available, they are for 25% off regular rates. Sometimes, you can find a leisure rate that is even cheaper.

It can be very difficult to find availablity at the popular (Hawaii) resorts. Also, it's not a last minute offering. Rather it's just when Marriott has excess inventory and want to offer a discount for Marriott owners.

There are a few Marriott hotels that will also give a MOD rate. The JW Phuket sometimes has a rate, and I don't recall the others.

If you can find it, you're not limited to the Marriott resort that you own. You are eligible for the MOD rate at any MVCI resorts that offer it.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely missed the "weekend" comment.

Sometimes, when getaways are really cheap, we don't stay the whole week, we only stay 2 or 3 days. Last summer, we stayed at Desert Springs Villas 1 in a studio for under $300 for the entire week through II. Since it was so inexpensive, we only stayed a couple of days and left the rest of the week unused. This approach may be less expensive than purchasing individual nights from Marriott. It all depends on the cost of the II getaway week vs the Marriott nightly rate.

We also did this with our other non-Marriott timeshare where we only stayed 3 nights and gave the rest of the stay to our friend.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. Yet another interesting way to take advantage of the Marriott ownership.

Jeff

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chris is right on his above advice. In addition to the "MOD" discount, you can also sometimes receive an extra 10% for using a Marriott rewards Visa card to make your reservation, for a total possible discount of 35%, which is a great perk I didn't know about until discovering TUG, another great advantage!

We have done what others mentioned, buying a week but only staying a few nights because it was cheaper that way! Recently in November my husband and I bought a week at the Westin Mission Hills resort and only stayed 3 nights. We gave the other nights to a friend and his wife. It was fun to give someone a vacation and they were very appreciative.

I find the inventory and prices are ideal for Palm Desert about 3 months out from arrival date.

Janna