• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wedding at 2pm on a Friday?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have a wedding coming up this Friday- 4 hours from our home at 2pm in the afternoon outside on a lake in the heat and humidity. The reception is from 3pm - 8pm, with an after reception cash bar at another hotel at 9pm. I booked a hotel months ago for the night of the wedding, but we work and could not go up a day before as we just got back from a 2 week vacation as it is. Not to mention that would involve an extra hotel expense. The hotel cannot guarantee an early check-in. I even called the hotels the bride recommended and they also would not guarantee an early check-in and were more money which is why I went with the hotel we have booked.The dilemma is the getting dressed part. We have to leave at 8 in the morning to get to the wedding! That would mean we at least need to check in at 12 noon for the two of us to shower and dress, etc.

I thought about getting dressed in the early morning for the trip up- but, let's face it, after 4 hours sitting in a car- ugh! And just imagine having to use the rest stops on the way!

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to handle this one?
We try not to go to wedding anymore, but this one is special, so we had to make the effort.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ASK the family who invited YOU if they are providing ANY rooms for their travelling guests to freshen up in and change into their wedding attire due to the timing of the event.

Would I expect to shower? NO .. but bringing a box of those personal wipes with your would certainly help ... after all driving 6 hours is not like doing yardwork or running a 25K race.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would ASK the family who invited YOU if they are providing ANY rooms for their travelling guests to freshen up in and change into their wedding attire due to the timing of the event.

Would I expect to shower? NO .. but bringing a box of those personal wipes with your would certainly help ... after all driving 6 hours is not like doing yardwork or running a 25K race.

I had asked about that and they said the hotels they arranged the blocked rooms for said they would try to accommodate for an early check-in, but when I called those hotels they said they couldn't guarantee anything, just as mine did. They are not providing any rooms to freshen up s you mentioned. Mos of the guests, who are also traveling long distances, will be up there the night before as they are immediate family.Many have rented private homes and such.

We certainly can shower at home. I guess I could even apply my make-up if I have to and then just freshen it up in the car when we arrive. My husband said maybe we could attend the wedding ceremony in our travel clothes and then change into our dressy clothes in the bathrooms at the lodge where the reception will be. Ugh! Well - it's an idea. I guess I could call the lodge about that one.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even if you can't check-in, you can use the hotel's restrooms in lobby or meeting rooms area. Just bring a go-bag with the stuff you need to freshen up.

In my (much) younger days, I actually changed clothes in the car, when there wasn't traffic around.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not ask a family member who's checking in the night before if you can change in their room?

Ron

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the hotel have a health center or gym with shower / changing facilities?

Many have rented houses. How about a pit stop at one of those houses.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vote for the early checkin possibility first (they will never promise you, but somehow it's always worked out for us at a hotel/motel), then the hotel lobby restroom, then a health club, then another attendees hotel/rental, then any public restroom. In that order.

Problem solved. What else?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S. We always call about an hour before arrival and request the early checkin then. If they say no, we drop in anyway. I cannot think of a time where it didn't work out. I remember one time within the past year when we were able to check in before 10am and still partake in that day's breakfast. We felt guilty though and only took a couple of bananas. :)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would offer to pay a little extra so you can increases your chances of early check in. Be it a tip or actually paying and early check in fee.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I agree with RonB, since this is a special wedding you probably know some of the other guests.

Explain that you will try to check in early but if you can't, could you change in their room. I would think they would allow this, I know I would.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My plan B would simply use the locker room facilities at the hotel. Just ensure they have a locker room and shower facilities.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
However you appear, it doesn't really matter. The attention is on the bride and groom. You will be fine.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
However you appear, it doesn't really matter. The attention is on the bride and groom. You will be fine.

Unless you are in the wedding party I agree with Patri.

Id be in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops or Id stay home

geekette

Reaction score
Friday at 2 pm puts people in a crunch, I've never heard of such a thing unless it was all local guests and married at JOP. My mother would have bopped me over the head if I did that to guests coming cross country (puts rehearsal back to Thurs!)

Shower and dress at home, how dirty are you really going to get in 4 hours in your own vehicle? Your presence is the important thing and you are doing what you can to Be There. don't stress yourself beyond that.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friday at 2 pm puts people in a crunch, I've never heard of such a thing unless it was all local guests and married at JOP. My mother would have bopped me over the head if I did that to guests coming cross country (puts rehearsal back to Thurs!)

Shower and dress at home, how dirty are you really going to get in 4 hours in your own vehicle? Your presence is the important thing and you are doing what you can to Be There. don't stress yourself beyond that.

They probably got a great deal on the facility because of the day and time.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

That's what I said! Everyone is coming from far away, except the grooms' immediate family. I suspect it was just cheaper for the young couple to have a wedding at this time and day. We are staying in a no frills hotel- Candlewood Suites. I was going to just dress at home, but I know we will be making one or two pit stops at rest areas- so that is why I would rather at least dress up there. I am not worried about being dirty or anything like that. But I hate not feeling fresh- especially in the summer heat. Not a crisis by any stretch of the imagination. Just annoying.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Oh, yes. Definitely. I bought an outfit because I honestly did not have a dressy outfit to my name. I don't go to weddings anymore or any place you have to dress up, but really have to go to this one.

In retrospect, I should have just planned on wearing casual clothes/pants and a t-shirt for the whole wedding and the heck with it. It is not going to be a real fancy wedding I think anyway.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Or it's sentimental to them. Or it accommodates a special guest.

I like the idea of asking to use another guest's hotel room or using the hotel locker rooms if they exist. Another option is to use a gym or ymca.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I vote for the early checkin possibility first (they will never promise you, but somehow it's always worked out for us at a hotel/motel), then the hotel lobby restroom, then a health club, then another attendees hotel/rental, then any public restroom. In that order.

Problem solved. What else?

Yeah- this sounds like a plan.....Only so many options. I am really trying very hard not to inconvenience the few family members I do know that will be there as they have an elderly parent with them (91 years old) and so forth. Not sure if some will have kids with them. They have their own stuff to deal with. I don't want to interfere- they have pictures, etc. You know how it is....

The mother of the bride was MY maid of honor and she is also my husband's cousin, which is why we were invited- the only "cousins" on her side invited because we are "special".:D

geekette

Reaction score
Yeah- this sounds like a plan.....Only so many options. I am really trying very hard not to inconvenience the few family members I do know that will be there as they have an elderly parent with them (91 years old) and so forth. Not sure if some will have kids with them. They have their own stuff to deal with. I don't want to interfere- they have pictures, etc. You know how it is....

The mother of the bride was MY maid of honor and she is also my husband's cousin, which is why we were invited- the only "cousins" on her side invited because we are "special".:D

wow, the whole thing is getting more and more interesting!

Sounds to me like bride and her family have been very very accommodating to groom's family and not so considerate of bride's family. It would have been nice had someone opened their home as "a lounge" for day-of needs for exactly your situation.

I'm glad you made the cut due to being special!!

I guess the upside is that you don't have to spend all weekend out of town unless you want to. Still, can't get over having to burn a vacation day that in most normal situations I would not have to do.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
wow, the whole thing is getting more and more interesting!

Sounds to me like bride and her family have been very very accommodating to groom's family and not so considerate of bride's family. It would have been nice had someone opened their home as "a lounge" for day-of needs for exactly your situation.

I'm glad you made the cut due to being special!!

I guess the upside is that you don't have to spend all weekend out of town unless you want to. Still, can't get over having to burn a vacation day that in most normal situations I would not have to do.

I am actually using TWO vacation days. I am taking off tomorrow only because we have been away for two weeks and I just got back to work (came home Sunday and back at work Monday) and I really need some time to get stuff together and so on. I am at an age where I cannot do things after work like I used to, with commuting and all. So, since we have to leave so early on Friday, I decided to take Thursday off as well. But hubby is working tomorrow. Heck- I have to write the check! LOL! I am sure we will have a good time once there.

But- I am hoping to get out of there very early Saturday morning- again- we haven't been home 3 weekends and 2 weeks- and we have a lot to do. We only have weekends to take care of stuff.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I am sure this is the reason. Keeping costs down. Can't blame them. I always tell my son if he ever plans to get married, to please elope! LOL!:rofl:

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen people use a local gym: Call the nearest gym, tell them you want to try them out for just one day, see if they would allow you to do buy a 1-day pass (usually for as little as $5). Ask if they have towels in the bathroom, if they dont, bring your own
After you are in the gym, shower, use their big mirrors, and if it inspires you, workout a bit before the wedding feast :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I've seen people use a local gym: Call the nearest gym, tell them you want to try them out for just one day, see if they would allow you to do buy a 1-day pass (usually for as little as $5). Ask if they have towels in the bathroom, if they dont, bring your own
After you are in the gym, shower, use their big mirrors, and if it inspires you, workout a bit before the wedding feast :)

LOL! I am sure I will need a workout after the feast! Ha! Ha! Hey- it's not a bad idea!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Friday afternoon definitely is interesting. Maybe I have you beat. We are invited to a wedding in AZ on a Monday afternoon in June. So I am certain the venue is dirt cheap. Since we will make it a vacation (it is across the country), this does give us the option to fly out Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and fly home mid-week to catch the best fares. I don't know what the local guests will think though. And the location is 2 hours away from both sides of the family there, and friends.