• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We hit a deer in the dark last night

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We were on our way up to Tahoe and 125 miles from home. Looks like the whole front end, bumper, and radiator are going to have to be replaced... Sigh....not to mention the poor deer. But it could be worse - we are fine and we got towed into Tahoe so at least we aren't stuck in some little hick town somewhere. Hopefully we will be luckier the rest of the weekend!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Glad to hear you and family are fine. Sorry you are going through this!

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,
I'm so glad no one in your family was injured. Cars can bereplaced.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow, Denise, I'm glad you're all okay! Sorry for the deer - that happens up our way a lot. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Dave

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If You're Going to Hit a Deer

I'm glad you are all okay! I just heard on the news the other night that if you are going to hit a deer, don't slam on your brakes. Apparently, this causes the front end of your car to dip and increases the chance the deer will fly through your windshield and injure or kill. They recommend on just hitting it. Again, sad for the deer, but safety first.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are OK.:)

My wife had an antelope run into the car once. It almost scared her to death. Don't know what happened to the antelope, but she said it ran off, but don't know if it lasted.

Was this in your new Jeep?

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, I'm so sorry for your bad luck...and the deer's, too.
My son lives in PA, and recently his step-daughter's car was run into by a deer....twice within a week. They got one door repaired, and on her way home from the garage, a deer leaped across the road, leaving dents in the hood.
I'm remembering a "Judge Judy" show not long ago, when a young man said his car was run into by a deer, and she hooted, and said, "Deer don't run into cars! Cars run into deer!" Oh, Yeah?

We were on our way up to Tahoe and 125 miles from home. Looks like the whole front end, bumper, and radiator are going to have to be replaced... Sigh....not to mention the poor deer. But it could be worse - we are fine and we got towed into Tahoe so at least we aren't stuck in some little hick town somewhere. Hopefully we will be luckier the rest of the weekend!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, what's wrong with hick towns?
I've also heard to keep driving when a deer is oncoming, not to brake. Hope I have the sense to do that. Scary all around.
Glad you are fine. We have a section of road here where deer get hit and I have to drive it in the evening twice a week. I am always on the lookout.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. An awful lot of $3000 radiators have been ruined by two-bit deer.

I've always thought they should be equipped with lights instead of horns (well, antlers).

Jim Ricks

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
In Anchorage you need to be careful for moose.

To Steve's point . . .
p276348-Fairbanks_AK-Moose_and_Car_Collide.jpg

I took this photo outside of Fairbanks in Mar07. The poor moose was struck on I believe the left bumper area, rolled up on the windshield and over the roof of the car . . . and landed some 50 ft behind the car in a ditch. Not a pretty sight for the car or the moose.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Yes, :bawl: It didn't have a scratch on it before this! Damage is even worse than we thought - transmission damaged too. We have to leave it here in the repair shop and drive a rental car home.

Thanks for your kind wishes, everyone! :hi:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Yes, :bawl: It didn't have a scratch on it before this! Damage is even worse than we thought - transmission damaged too. We have to leave it here in the repair shop and drive a rental car home.

Thanks for your kind wishes, everyone! :hi:

Oh my Denise . . . that is terrible. As others have said, at least you were all safe and had no injuries.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, I am just glad that you and your famil;y are OK -- often people are not that lucky. Sorry about the car, but the people are the main thing.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Glad to hear you are OK.:)

My wife had an antelope run into the car once. It almost scared her to death. Don't know what happened to the antelope, but she said it ran off, but don't know if it lasted.

I had a deer run into me once. I saw others crossing ahead and slowed down substantially. Never saw the one that hit me until the collision. It scared the bejeebers out of me.

I was on the way to work and it was still dark, so I sent DH out to look after daylight. He didn't find the deer, so maybe it survived. My Outback still has the dents in the door and front panel to remember it by.

Sheila

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I don't think I've ever made a lengthy car trip without seeing a dead deer by the side of the road. I assume it usually happens at night. Sad.

A few years ago a friend just got a new car and took a drive north of Toronto -- and hit a moose, horns and all. The car was a total write off but the moose got up and ran away, probably at least a little bruised. They are a little bigger than a deer. :)

Glad you're ok.

Brian

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you are okay. Sorry about your new Jeep. We have deer up where we live and occasionally see a dead one on the side of the road. Had one sprint across the road in front of me one afternoon--it wasn't even dark--and scare the :eek: out of me. I don't know if I could be controlled enough to think, "now, don't hit the brakes." I just would react with my foot slamming down on the brake. Everything happens so fast.

Karen P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're alright

Denise, I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I've never hit a deer before, but I know from others that it can certainly shake you up.

What road were you on?

Karen

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hit a Dancer in the Dark someday

Denise,
I'm so glad there were no injuries but I am sorry about your new Jeep. That's a bummer.

I just have to add that since your original post I've been thinking about the movie Dancer in the Dark, starring the singer Bjork. Interesting movie, and I always get sucked in when it's on Cable channels late at night. Then I get to end and remember that I always feel I've wasted 2 hours of my life. I'll never get that time back. Sorry for the off-topic, but it's been in my head since you posted and I just had to get it out! :shrug:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Denise,
SO sorry about your car (and the deer). So glad you're okay!

taffy19

Reaction score
Same here. I am glad you are OK but sorry for your new jeep and the deer too. This is what scared me the most of driving after dark in the northwest (OR).

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the Bay area, I, too, am glad that you and your family are OK. What an experience! Once I hit a fawn in Sonoma County with my old VW. I think the deer was OK or not...it was pretty traumatic. I was about 20 at the time.
Liz