• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We have 3 vacations in Orlando by November. Should I get the Sun Pass?

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I got a response from ePass. Their language is still a little confusing but it appears you are right (maybe---you be the judge of their wording) that if you leave your rental on your account somebody else might run up your bill:

"The portable UNI transponder can be used in both your personal and rental vehicle. An update to the license plate on your account is recommended when the transponder is moved from vehicle-to-vehicle.

When renting a vehicle, any toll transactions incurred after the rental period will not be reimbursed if the license plate is not removed from the E-PASS account.

If the Uni transponder is used in another vehicle, your E-PASS account would need to be updated with that vehicle’s license plate number. In the event the transponder is improperly mounted or fails to register in the toll lane, the toll transactions will be charged to your account by the license plate number.

Once your license plate is updated on your E-PASS account, it will take 24 hours to reflect on other agency’s toll roads. Using another agency’s toll road prior to the 24-hour time frame may result in a toll invoice by that agency.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any further questions and/or concerns, please contact the E-PASS Call Center at 407-823-7277 or visit the website www.CFXway.com for more information on E-PASS and the call center hours of operation.

Thank you for choosing E-PASS."

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Orlando now with UniPass and realized i forgot to add plate of rental and didn’t do on our last trip either. Just checked my account and appears all tolls went to it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that transponders are read with pretty good accuracy. We have SunPass and got a new license plate, I forgot to add the plat to SunPass for several weeks. It appears that all tolls were charged correctly via the transponder that we had in the vehicle. So if you have a properly mounted transponder, all should be good. Also note, the transponder may not need to be in the windshield to register. SunPass will send you a special bag to put your transponder in if you don't want it to be read when passing through a toll. This is good for those using tolls to go see their mistress and don't want toll records pulled while in divorce court!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
As posted, that’s the nice benefit of the SunPass system, as you can put an end date on the rental car plate when you add it, and SunPass will automatically remove it, vs some of the other systems like EZ Pass where you have to remember to physically remove it after you turn in your rental.
Not true with EZ Pass. This will be my first time using my EZ Pass in FL so I checked out how to add a rental to it, and there are fields for rental start date and rental end date, so it appears you don't have to remember to physically remove the rental from your account after turning in the rental.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Not true with EZ Pass. This will be my first time using my EZ Pass in FL so I checked out how to add a rental to it, and there are fields for rental start date and rental end date, so it appears you don't have to remember to physically remove the rental from your account after turning in the rental.
Nice. Perhaps they wizened up and added improved rental car functionality into their system too. Good to hear.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
That's great! Unfortunately, the CFX E-Pass does not do that.
I am now fighting with Plate Pass about the toll I was charged on the night that I arrived in Orlando two weeks ago. They are saying that it takes 24 hours for the transponder to be registered with their system! What, they have denied returning the $13.90 I was charged for the one toll. I will continue to fight them on this. I may have to dispute this charge with American Express. I used my transponder in September and November without a problem. Since we are returning to Orlando on Sunday, I'm hoping I don't have this issue again. Or, maybe it's a problem with Hertz rentals.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now fighting with Plate Pass about the toll I was charged on the night that I arrived in Orlando two weeks ago. They are saying that it takes 24 hours for the transponder to be registered with their system! What, they have denied returning the $13.90 I was charged for the one toll. I will continue to fight them on this. I may have to dispute this charge with American Express. I used my transponder in September and November without a problem. Since we are returning to Orlando on Sunday, I'm hoping I don't have this issue again. Or, maybe it's a problem with Hertz rentals.
The 24 hr turn around is what I've been told as well in the past.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We’re you using a Sunpass? You have up to two days to register the plate online.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We just returned home from a week in FL with the E-Pass and it seems as though everything worked great. I activated the transponder at home with my own car's license plate, changed it to the rental car's plate prior to leaving the rental garage, and then changed it back to my own car upon returning the vehicle.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@jackio
I’ve done the same.
The only difficulty I have is I can’t change the make/model/color on the phone. I have to log in on laptop to change those. (Do they matter as long as license is correct?)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@jackio
I’ve done the same.
The only difficulty I have is I can’t change the make/model/color on the phone. I have to log in on laptop to change those. (Do they matter as long as license is correct?)
No, states they are optional. I wouldn't want it to be incorrect though.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
What 24 hour turnaround when using the UniPass? I have my own vehicle assigned to the transponder while at home. I don't use it here. I've used it now in Orlando twice. I will wait to get another response from Plate Pass. Let me make sure that my transponder is always active just to be on the safe side. I usually turn it off when it's not in my vehicle. It stays in my carry on.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
@jackio
I’ve done the same.
I also have to log on my desktop to change the make/model/color. Then, when I logged on today to see the final toll transactions, it lists my home car as the car that went through the tolls. So I guess it doesn't matter LOL

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The plate is a system of last resort. If you have a transponder and the toll plazas pick up the transponder, then it should bill to the account associated with the transponder. If there is an error and it doesn't read the transponder, it then utilized plate information to determine who to charge. It is possible that updating a third party transponder system causes delays with Sunpass getting the plate information in order to match to, but I was under the understanding that Sunpass would try to match to a plate for at least 48-72 hours before it going through PlatePass to bill the cars registered owner.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Orlando. They have a vending machine by Rental Cars on A side.
It called Visitor Toll pass. It through the expressway. Charges you same rate as any pass.
Pick it up, register in the app the car you have, hang from mirror and you are done.
Return it back at airport when done.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Update: I just received a call from a supervisor at Plate Pass. She informed me that there is a 24 hour time frame for the transponders to be activated, which I still had no problem with on my last two vacations in Orlando. She did agree to refund the fee of $9 that was charged by Hertz, which I really appreciated. So, she advised me pay the toll on Sunday when we return to Orlando and the updated rental vehicle should be active within 24 hours.

Btw, I decided not to get the Visitor Toll Pass last year since the box is located at the A terminal. We only use B with Delta. It would be too much of a hassle for me since I use the wheel chair assist. The UniPass, I bought on Amazon works fine. I just happened to be charged for the first night's toll.

Now, I know what to do. Here is the explanation:

_X_Once your license plate is updated on your E-PASS account, it will take 24 hours to reflect on SunPass toll roads. Using a SunPass toll road prior to the 24-hour time frame may result in a toll invoice.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, you can go into any PUBLIX Supermarket in Florida and buy a Sun Pass right off the shelf (near the candy display at the check out). You can add money and activate it right away.

Guess I don't understand why anyone would want the hassle of a "Visitor Toll Pass" in an airport terminal when you can just buy one locally (and maybe even on line?).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For anyone interested, you can go into any PUBLIX Supermarket in Florida and buy a Sun Pass right off the shelf (near the candy display at the check out). You can add money and activate it right away.

Guess I don't understand why anyone would want the hassle of a "Visitor Toll Pass" in an airport terminal when you can just buy one locally (and maybe even on line?).
The Visitor Toll Pass would allow you to use Toll Roads from the airport to your hotel. I suppose you could use the Sunpass also by registering your plate late, but Sunpass has a cost and I would think it is easier to pick up the Toll Pass in the airport vs possibly going out of your way to hit a Publix.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went to eBay and found they have brand new Sunpass Transponders starting for as little a $7.99

www.ebay.com

Order one in advance, activate it at home, and bring it with you and you're good to go the minute you land.

One other thing, I suggest obtaining the Sunpass Pro. This particular version (the Pro) is also good at anywhere in the Northeast that accepts EZPass.

Enjoy your visit to Florida.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just went to eBay and found they have brand new Sunpass Transponders starting for as little a $7.99

www.ebay.com

Order one in advance, activate it at home, and bring it with you and you're good to go the minute you land.

One other thing, I suggest obtaining the Sunpass Pro. This particular version (the Pro) is also good at anywhere in the Northeast that accepts EZPass.

Enjoy your visit to Florida.
YOu can also order directly from Sunpass and have it delivered.