• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We Are Coming for Your Phony Service Animals

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

While grasping at straws, perhaps we need to look at a few remarks that sum up this "opinion" piece.

"The Chicago Tribune sat down with Charles Petrof, a senior attorney with Chicago disabled rights advocacy organization Access Living, who says that purposefully low barriers to entry is the point of these rules. Inclusiveness for all is the goal and according to Petrof “If you need proof beyond a basic doctor’s note, depending on what kind of health care you can afford, you may not get to see your psychiatrist more than once per year. And wait times for mental health treatment can be long. You may not be able to satisfy these requirements in time to take a flight. So what it results in is, if you’re poor and disabled, you’re kicked off the plane.”

I would say that's correct.

Even Carissa Rawson, the individual behind this "opinion" piece notes.

"I understand what he’s saying, and in all fairness it’s reasonable. But his solution, rather than changing the laws surrounding emotional support animals, is to lay the responsibility at the feet of airlines. “Once we start changing rules,” he says, “it seems like access for disabled people ends up getting limited. The airlines need to address the dog or animal that is causing a problem.”

Let's see. She understands Mr. Petrof's remarks and as she puts it, "... it’s reasonable".

"So when I heard that new rules for emotional support animals were announced in August, I was beyond excited."
If we follow the link she provided it brings us to...

US Department of Transportation Issues New Rules for Service, Emotional Support Animals

"As the number of emotional support animals in aircraft seem to be an ever-growing problem, airlines such as Alaska, American, Delta, Spirit, Southwest and United have tightened rules regarding ESAs. The DOT says that it’s not taking any action against airlines that have required documentation related to vaccination, training or behavior."

Seems as though they have addressed this. See a previous post in this never ending debate.

"In the final policy statement, the agency specifically addressed certain topics:"

There are a few, many have been discussed already. Here are just a few.

Species Limitations
"Many airlines (Alaska, American, Southwest, United) current limit emotional support animals to dogs and cats and limit service animals to dogs, cats and miniature horses. These seemingly will need to change to avoid “categorically” refusing to transport other species."

Each airline sets it's own rules so, direct any concerns to the individual airline. They are quite free to set their own limitations and have, up to this point done so. Should be unhappy with these limitations, find another airline.

Breed/Species Restrictions:
"Airlines aren’t allowed to ban entire breeds — such as pit bulls — although they may refuse to carry a specific animal if it’s found to pose a threat."

Once again, express your concerns with the airline you chose.

Documentation Requirements:
"DOT will not take action against an airline if it requires passengers to provide advance documentation of a service animal’s vaccination, training or behavior. However, the department will step in if documentation is used to “unduly restrict passengers with disabilities from traveling with their service animals.

Sounds as though the Department of Transportation would like to continue as much of a hands off approach as it can. Let the airlines "police" themselves, which they do.

Containment:
"Airlines are allowed to set their own containment rules as long as they are reasonable. The DOT points to “tethering and similar means of controlling an animal” as reasonable containment rules."

Well of course they are, "... allowed to set their own containment rules as long as they are reasonable." Which they do.

Advance Notice:
"Airlines are prohibited from requiring advance notice for passengers traveling with service animals as this notice “may significantly harm passengers with disabilities” as it prevents these passengers from making last-minute travel plans necessary for work or family emergencies. "

It's very important they don't delay their disabled passengers.

Check-In Requirements:
"Airlines aren’t allowed to force passengers with service animals to check in at the counter. However, the Enforcement Office is fine with airlines requiring passengers to check-in ESAs and PSAs at the counter. The DOT notes that regulations permit airlines to require ESA and PSA users to check in one hour before the check-in time for the general public."

Easy to understand.

Proof That an Animal Is a Service Animal:
"Generally, airlines are allowed to “seek credible verbal assurance” that a passenger has a disability and the animal is a service animal. Further, airlines may ask the passenger questions “to determine the passenger’s need for the animal” — even if the animal has a harness, vest or tag."

Again, read the postings and you will find a description of the letter needed.

Number of Service Animals Per Passenger:
"Recognizing that “a passenger may reasonably need more than one task-trained service animal,” the DOT isn’t setting a limit on how many service animals may travel with a passenger with a disability. Instead, the department will focus on making sure airlines allow passengers to travel with “one ESA and a total of three service animals if needed.”

I would accept one animal and believe that's fair.

Mental Health Professional Form:
Airlines are allowed to require passengers to provide “medical documentation of their need for the animal” for emotional support animals and psychiatric support animals. However, airlines aren’t allowed to reject a form that “meets the criteria found in the rule because of an airline’s preference that the passenger use the airline’s form.

Again, please look back and find the form.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dot-new-rules-service-emotional-support-animals/

Must we continue this dance? :ponder:
Cheers

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Reactions: Tia

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know a dog that wears an emotional support vest that barks at all strangers and cowers. :ponder:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very dumb question a miniature horse is about the size of child between 4 to 6 years old . Would this animal occupy one or two airlines seats and would this emotional support animal be charged for an airline ticket?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are only two animals listed under the Federal System as Assistance Animals - miniature horses and dogs.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
This is a very dumb question a miniature horse is about the size of child between 4 to 6 years old . Would this animal occupy one or two airlines seats and would this emotional support animal be charged for an airline ticket?
That is not a dumb question. If there is a couple traveling, there MAY be enough room in front of the pair.
CvZN9PnWYAAbvRJ

How comfortable ... NOT!

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Duplicate post

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As I've said upthread, I think the simplest thing to do is to drop the whole game of charades. Allow passengers to bring pets on board, in accordance with whatever rules are set by the airlines. The airlines will devise a scheme that will allow them to make more money, which they logically should when they provide an additional service.
The problem is that the DOT has different rules for ESA. Airlines can't restrict ESAs on flight except in certain circumstances (size, animal is a thread). These DOT rules are different than ADA laws. I agree, just get rid of the shenanigans. When airlines started charging for checked bags, people tried to find ways to avoid the fees and stuff more in to their carry on or bring larger than allowed carry ons. Same will happen with animals as long as the airlines try to make more money from it. People will always try to beat the fee just like they are doing today. So if the airlines try to make more money from such a scheme, people will just do as they are today.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that airlines have stop serving meals on flights, you need to bring a meal in your carry on bag to survive l:wave:

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine how dangerous that cute mini horse will be if he colics on a flight. I’ve had horses for years and years and they can go from perfectly happy healthy to riddled with colic pain within minutes.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had a spouse bring a dog wearing a service dog vest into a restricted access area yesterday. The person the spouse was coming into see said 'you brought the dog in?' Person had said earlier earlier 'the baby' would have to wait in the car. Coworker had given me a heads up there was a dog wearing a vest with the spouse. My impression was this was not a REAL service animal from was said to spouse and about the baby.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
One reason a miniature horse is sometimes preferred over a dog, is the horse's lifespan. They live 25 to 35 years. A service dog is usually trained for 1 - 2 years, and is often retired at 10+ depending on breed. You get 8 to 10-ish years from a service dog, where as miniature horse you should get at least 20. Obviously depends on what service that animal needs to provide.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
You get 8 to 10-ish years from a service dog, where as miniature horse you should get at least 20. Obviously depends on what service that animal needs to provide.

I'm not really sure what a horse, miniature or otherwise can do in comparison to a service dog. Service dogs can be trained to perform a huge variety of tasks (ignoring those that undertake detection work such as drug/explosive/cadaver but also search and rescue and police/military purposes). Service dogs can be trained to open doors and collect medicine, remove clothing particularly hard to reach items for some people such as socks, push buttons such as pedestrian crossings, lifts, doors etc, can intervene in the onset of nightmares or disassociation, can fetch and retrieve items and a whole plethora of beneficial tasks. Horses are good at pulling stuff, miniatures not so much.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Sandy VDH.

Those miniature horses look well groomed and cared for by their owners. IMO.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake

So yes, they are good at pulling stuff as I said but apart from the emotional aspect, which can be attributed to pretty much any pet, they are nowhere near as useful as a service dog, the article simply corroborates that. I work with a husky service dog and her ability to pull and steady her owner, a former soldier who suffered a stroke and has difficulty with his motor skills, is phenomenal. She instinctively knows when to brace, when to pull and when to provide some slack.

"Just like all service animals, service horses will respond to their user, pick up dropped items and medication" that is not the same as giving a dog a command to collect medication. My dog will respond to a command to collect medication (or whatever it is that is required to collect), she will go to the cupboard or location where it is kept, open the door, retrieve the item and return it to my lap. My dog has been trained to locate the exit in any building we are in no matter how unfamiliar it is, by simply giving the command "exit" she will immediately identify and lead me to the nearest exit. She is trained to press the buttons on an elevator or disabled exit button on a door or will press the lever on an emergency exit (most of this I don't require but she is trained to a specific standard). I can take my dog to a restaurant, give her the command to go under the table and she will remain there, unobtrusive, for the duration of my stay, what do you do with a miniature horse?!

Dogs are incredible creatures and their potential and abilities are very underestimated by most people. They are the perfect service animal and are without comparison and whilst I'm sure miniature horses provide much comfort to their owners they are incomparable to the abilities and usefulness of a dog. Plus, I really can't see one curling up on the sofa with me!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
So yes, they are good at pulling stuff as I said but apart from the emotional aspect, which can be attributed to pretty much any pet, they are nowhere near as useful as a service dog, the article simply corroborates that. I work with a husky service dog and her ability to pull and steady her owner, a former soldier who suffered a stroke and has difficulty with his motor skills, is phenomenal. She instinctively knows when to brace, when to pull and when to provide some slack.

"Just like all service animals, service horses will respond to their user, pick up dropped items and medication" that is not the same as giving a dog a command to collect medication. My dog will respond to a command to collect medication (or whatever it is that is required to collect), she will go to the cupboard or location where it is kept, open the door, retrieve the item and return it to my lap. My dog has been trained to locate the exit in any building we are in no matter how unfamiliar it is, by simply giving the command "exit" she will immediately identify and lead me to the nearest exit. She is trained to press the buttons on an elevator or disabled exit button on a door or will press the lever on an emergency exit (most of this I don't require but she is trained to a specific standard). I can take my dog to a restaurant, give her the command to go under the table and she will remain there, unobtrusive, for the duration of my stay, what do you do with a miniature horse?!

Dogs are incredible creatures and their potential and abilities are very underestimated by most people. They are the perfect service animal and are without comparison and whilst I'm sure miniature horses provide much comfort to their owners they are incomparable to the abilities and usefulness of a dog. Plus, I really can't see one curling up on the sofa with me!

Having owned and worked with dogs all my life yes, they can be quite astounding.

It's not my place however, to define what emotional support a miniature horse can or cannot bring someone. That's best left to those who understand that connection.

In the words of, Quintus Horatius Flaccus... "All men do not, in fine, admire or love the same thing." ;)