• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Washington, DC Marriotts

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
JW is really nice!

Stayed there over spring break (apr 09) on points after getting opinions from fellow TUGgers! We got a room with a view (ask when you check in) and my kids (10, 8, 8) were impressed. Down side is the parking ($30/day) and no breakfast. Also be aware that there are "snacks/water" on a sensor pad so make sure the kids don't touch it otherwise you'll be charged for the item (you can always call the front desk to take off the charge.)

Definitely get a Metro pass. The JW is fairly close to the Metro (not as close as the Marriott Metro but close enough.) For breakfast, my kids loved eating at the Corner Bakery - just up the block from JW and on the way to the Metro stop. There's also a McD's and another bakery on the way...

Try to arrange your trips by location so you can take the Metro to that area and do all the sites around that stop. We've also stayed at the Marriott Metro (spring break '07) and I definitely prefer the JW. It's much closer to the attractions.

The indoor pool at both hotels are rather small and can get fairly crowded - definitely no lap swimming - lots of kids all times of the day (at least when we were there.)

Another plus for the JW is that you can walk into the National Shops (?) from the hotel. There is a small food court in there that we got take out and also ate there - lots of choices and the food wasn't bad. Just be aware of when they open and close. I believe both hotels have a Starbucks on site.

Definitely recommend requesting a STAFF led tour of the capitol. I went through my congressman (and did not specifically request a STAFF led tour) and all that got me was a pass to the public tour w/o waiting on line. The place itself is very interesting and nice but the tour was too rushed.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nosy,
Just looked, and the JW is cat. 6. My free night is cat 5 or lower. Guess we'll stick with the Courtyard. We already have passes for the Old Town Trolley Tour. It's a hop on/hop off. We're going to take that on Sunday (Father's Day), spend the one night, get up early and take in a couple of the Smithsonians. Probably the Natural History Museum and the Air and Space. Our flight home isn't until
7pm, out of BWI. Hubby and I have been there before, with our older kids. We took the trolley tour then too, and enjoyed it.
Thanks for the advise!

One more question... How do you request a tour? Do you just call, or does it have to be in writing?
Thanks!

Never mind...just read that The White House is closed to tours on Sun. and Mon.! :( Oh well...

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
in the past i have been able to pay the difference anf upgrade hotel certificates...actually i have done that twice in past 2 yrs

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
in the past i have been able to pay the difference anf upgrade hotel certificates...actually i have done that twice in past 2 yrs

Interesting. Even on a Visa Free Night certificate?

Do you think, that just for one night, it's worth it to change? The Courtyard looks like it's in a good location for getting around. From the map, it looks like an easy walk to The Natural History Musuem.
Thanks again

J

JoeMid

For those Marriott fans that need a little more space, I have a contact that has 'timeshare like' weekly condos across the street from the METRO; 1/2/3BRs at reasonable rates compared to Marriott Residence Inn. Email me for that info.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I want use some reward points for a weekend getaway in DC. Has anyone stayed at any of the DC Marriotts? Which would you recommend for a family (DH, me, and two boys ages 6 and 9). The JW Marriott looks very central- near the mall for the museums but we're not very familiar with DC and want suggestions.
Thanks in advance, tlwmkw
We stayed at Residence Inn downtown in March 2009. It is cat 5. Nice place. Small indoor pool. 30 bucks a day parking. Street parking free on weekend. One block from Metro, 2-3 blocks from Mall (Smithsonian) and about 5 blocks from Capitol Bldg. Free breakfast (full) and dinner during week (not weekends).