• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Washing a Feather Pillow

Faith

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Can I just put a feather pillow in the washer and dryer, or do I need to do somthing else?

Thanks!

Faith

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Faith :)

Would tumbling your pillows in a clothes dryer at low temps suffice ?
I'd hesitate getting feathers wet.
But... it doesn't seem to bother the ducks, huh ;)

Love Thailand !!!! :)

swwoods

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine you can. I would be interested in the responses. My grandmother made all the Grandkids feather pillows that she plucked herself over 30 years ago and I can't sleep good on anything other than my pillow. I have it covered with several pillow case covers. The thought of it is kinda gross but I love it. I have been told many times to get rid of it but can't sleep good on anything else.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have very expensive down pillows

I use the Dryel dry cleaning kit and do it myself. I like the way the pillows smell and their renewed fluffiness after they have been "dry cleaned" using the Dryel method.

I would never want to get my pillows wet. The dryer kills a lot of germs because of the heat, so you are getting those nasty dust mites out as well.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not but I take mine to the dry cleaners and it comes back clean and no worse for wear.

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can, but...

We have before (out of necessity when kids had the flu) and you need to know that wet feathers smell awful. When you place it in the dryer, plan to have it go through 3 or 4 cycles on high heat. Place in two new fabric softener sheets each time and a tennis ball. I know it sounds crazy, but it does actually work. When all is said and done, they smell good and are nice and fluffy. It is just a big hassle/time consuming!

nicklinneh

TUG Member
Reaction score
down/feather pillows are the same as down/feather sleeping bags. outdoor shops sell detergent for just that, but i think any mild soap/detergent is just as good. bags are so big that i have to take them to washaterias, but a pillow should work at home. i've always air dried bags for a couple of days-- afraid that the dryer would beat them to pieces; a pillow on fluff for a long time might work though. ----ken

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Feather Pillow Laundering

Faith,

Here a link with Polyester & Feather Pillow Laundering Info

I also found this advice for Down Pillows

Caring for down pillows
To launder your down pillow at home, first spot-treat any stains before you wash your pillow if you're going to machine wash it. Wash the pillow in cold water using a detergent that has a degreaser so that oils are removed. Follow the pillow manufacturer's instructions for specific detergents to use. Very gently squeeze out any excess water from the pillow after washing. Dry the pillow with the dryer set on its lowest setting; put a tennis ball in with the pillow so that the fill doesn't pack or clump as it dries.

Richard

Faith

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Wow! I never imagined the number of replies. The pillow cases themselves are not stained and don't look dirty. The pillows have just been stored and need to be freshened.

I think I'll look for Dryel at Wal-Mart first. If I don't find that, I'll have to decide whether to go for the washer or the dry cleaners.

Thanks for all the great responses.

Faith

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned 4 down pillows for about 30 years. I wash them with a mild detergent in the washing machine, and add some fabric softener in the rinse cycle. (I particularly love Downy Simple Pleasures vanilla and lavender). I then let them dry naturally--not in the dryer and not in direct sunlight. It takes a few days to dry but they come out perfect. This is the way my mother and grandmother did it and it is the recommendation that came with a down comforter I purchased a couple of years ago.

Down pillows are a God send when one is recovering from neck or shoulder surgery. They mold so easily to any size and shape you need to cushion the injured area. I also take one with me on every vacation. It rolls up into a small size. It is great on the plane and for sleeping in beds where the pillows may be too firm or lumpy.