• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Was about to push the "purchase" button on a Wyndham TS; now... not so sure?

DesireMore

Reaction score
Just make an account on Tripbeat.com. Same Wyndham and RCI properties at discounted rates, and no need to lock yourself into ever increasing maintenance fees. I'd also rather rent rooms off extraholidays.com than ever buy a Wyndham timeshare.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make an account on Tripbeat.com. Same Wyndham and RCI properties at discounted rates, and no need to lock yourself into ever increasing maintenance fees. I'd also rather rent rooms off extraholidays.com than ever buy a Wyndham timeshare.
Yes why lock yourself into one system when you can enjoy all systems and rent for less?

mayamart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stardust Resort, Vacation Club, South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Xcaret , Mexico Destination Club, Playa del Carmen
I've considered Hilton. The challenge I had was that I'm only interested in timeshare use in the US. Hilton has 1/2 the properties Wyndham has and many of them are International. When choosing, I focused on the number of US destination locations (not resorts). Hilton has 19 US destinations vs. Wyndham's 65.

mayamart... Have you checked out the TIMESHARE POINT SYSTEM COMPARISON CHART?
Hi and yes, I have it bookmarked and refer to it

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Yes why lock yourself into one system when you can enjoy all systems and rent for less?

It gives you independence mainly. Also, you are not entitled to somebody else's benefits. The VIP benefits don't really apply to my habits personally anyways. I mainly only book Club Wyndham when the remaining inventory is discounted to all owners or when I need to book 10-13 months out. I also like to exchange into Saratoga Springs via RCI for MUCH cheaper than renting that same unit from a DVC owner. The RCI exchange is about $1500 cheaper for the week vs renting from a DVC owner. I live an hour from WDW so I like being able to just take a week in the summer time to enjoy the 5 pool areas at Saratoga and be a short boat ride away from Disney Springs. You may be able to rent for less for your habits, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

I rented off a VIP Gold TUG member last November when I wanted to spend a few nights in Daytona in a room that was guaranteed to be Ocean Front. If I used my own account, it would of cost me more to have a guaranteed Ocean Front unit, but that was a special circumstance where the owner hadn't used all of their points or guest certs because of COVID. But I wouldn't expect that owner to have points to spare every year. Obviously they bought their points with the intensions of using them.

The people who bought VIP did so because it made sense to them and they had the means to do so. After seeing how many boomers don't have enough retirement funds saved up and are having trouble finding a job because of age discrimination, it makes sense to me at 31 years old to just dump everything I can into retirement accounts (to maximize appreciation) while I wait for the housing market to inevitably crash again so I can finally become a homeowner, then dump whatever is left over into that after 401k and IRA contributions are capped. Nowhere in my budget is a luxury expense like a VIP purchase. I didn't pay for the VIP benefits, and as a millennial who has gone through 2 major financial crises in the first 15 years of my adulthood I never will make such a luxury purchase unless I was set for life, so I shouldn't expect to have access to VIP benefits. I loved and appreciated the Ocean Front room I got to stay in for cheap, but it isn't something I expect to have under normal circumstances.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons to own. If you don’t have flexibility to rent within 60 days to hopefully have a vip who will give you benefits or their discounts, you can book on your own and have a guaranteed trip at a really good price in a great room with a kitchen. You never have to worry that somehow something happened with the person you rented from that prevents you from having the room. After paying airfare, you are sure to have the place you rented because it is in your name and under your account. When you rent, you could find out two weeks before that the place is not there if you check. If you don’t check you could find out that the place isn’t there when you arrive at 8 pm which is really late your time after a cross country flight. Owning and booking your own points comes with a confidence in your booking that renting can never give, and frankly that I will never depend on after experiences I have had.

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
This is what I keep asking myself! We love Wyndham resorts, and have rented weeks in the past... Part of me wants to buy resale... But then I keep coming back to the fact that we've rented for less than what we'd pay in yearly MF. Is there anything I'm missing here? I'd really like to hear if there would be some perks to owning that I'm not seeing!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
This is what I keep asking myself! We love Wyndham resorts, and have rented weeks in the past... Part of me wants to buy resale... But then I keep coming back to the fact that we've rented for less than what we'd pay in yearly MF. Is there anything I'm missing here? I'd really like to hear if there would be some perks to owning that I'm not seeing!

I'm able to always either break even or make a profit every time I rent out so IDK where you're seeing that it's cheaper. I own at low MF resorts. Bonnet Creek costs me like $600/week in a 2 bedroom during the value season.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I've seen the same thing. The value proposition is for attractive locations and peak times. If you are looking to go to places like Orlando and Vegas, rent. If you are going to locations like Hawaii, or resort destinations being part of a system and planning ahead has a lot of value. I have Marriott, Hyatt, WM and HICV units all via resale. I can split my week into days, sell some and stay for free for about a week. This year I had 2 4 night stays in Sedona and sold 3 2 nights stays at other resorts. Just about made my stay free. As far as Wyndham, they seem to have much higher MF than they are worth, and they have zero resale value which should tell you something.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have to be flexible with your travel palns and travel in the 60 day discount window. Key is finding a VIP that passes along the 50% discount and free room upgrades. I have attached a good example of a deal for less then paying maintenance fees. Please make note this deal is at a flagship resort during prime season.
Look at all the bargains in the last minute rentals link attached below.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
You have to be flexible with your travel palns and travel in the 60 day discount window. Key is finding a VIP that passes along the 50% discount and free room upgrades. I have attached a good example of a deal for less then paying maintenance fees. Please make note this deal is at a flagship resort during prime season.
Look at all the bargains in the last minute rentals link attached below.

The post Jim made for a 1 bedroom deluxe is 25% off at the moment for everyone and during the value season. So it would cost anyone (0.75)(84)(Cost per thousand), which is my case (resale only) is $411.39. So I guess it's only slightly more expensive than owning.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The post Jim made for a 1 bedroom deluxe is 25% off at the moment for everyone and during the value season. So it would cost anyone (0.75)(84)(Cost per thousand), which is my case (resale only) is $411.39. So I guess it's only slightly more expensive than owning.
"Key is to find a VIP that passes along 50% discount" But It is eligible for a "free" upgrade and IMHO worth the few bucks more with the 25% discount to be able to book without being burdened with maintenance fees. Add in the extra cost if you are out of HK's. Add on a GC if Vip owner has no free ones left and its less then paying maintenance fees. This example also proves your point how watered down VIP benefits have become.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
It is eligible for a "free" upgrade and IMHO worth the few bucks more with the 25% discount to be able to book without being burdened with maintenance fees. Add in the extra cost if you are out of HK's. Add on a GC if Vip owner has no free ones left and its less then paying maintenance fees. This example also proves your point how watered down VIP benefits have become.

Yea, but making your own bookings is safer. Also, it's really easy to get rid of your contracts if you have low MF or rent out to break even. Other than during Covid, I've always made a $500-$1000 every year renting out some of my points.

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
I'm learning so much, and so much to learn! The unit we rented, 4 BR pres at Palm Aire, must have been something picked up by an owner in that 60 day window. That's probably about how far out we booked. So...are the discounts 60 days out available to all owners (if I buy resale will I have access to that?) Or only VIP?

Yea, but making your own bookings is safer. Also, it's really easy to get rid of your contracts if you have low MF or rent out to break even. Other than during Covid, I've always made a $500-$1000 every year renting out some of my points.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I'm learning so much, and so much to learn! The unit we rented, 4 BR pres at Palm Aire, must have been something picked up by an owner in that 60 day window. That's probably about how far out we booked. So...are the discounts 60 days out available to all owners (if I buy resale will I have access to that?) Or only VIP?

Discounts are random. You have to own to see them. I can usually book FL 25-35% off during less busy times of the year. Not the 4 bedroom pres though. Presidentials are never discounted. You can always own just enough points to cover the minimum program fee and rent off other people as well. I've rented off VIP owners when I saw that it was in my favor to do so. You can search inventory with your own account and message VIPs that you know of to see if they are willing to do the rental.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
are the discounts 60 days out available to all owners (if I buy resale will I have access to that?) Or only VIP?
The discount to which you are referring is VIP only. Different levels of VIP have varying discount windows.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
The discount to which you are referring is VIP only. Different levels of VIP have varying discount windows.

Resale owners get discounts now too. It's not guaranteed and it can't be upgraded. Usually we can see them about 30-45 days out. The VIPs get their first pick at 60 days, but Wyndham is ultimately trying to just get rid of remaining inventory. Palm-Aire is 35% off at the moment.

1617453368366.png

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
Thank you! So is the non-VIP discount the same in those last minute deals? Also what is Wyndham's cancellation policy on a reservation (whether last-minute deal or not)?

Resale owners get discounts now too. It's not guaranteed and it can't be upgraded. Usually we can see them about 30-45 days out. The VIPs get their first pick at 60 days, but Wyndham is ultimately trying to just get rid of remaining inventory. Palm-Aire is 35% off at the moment.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thank you! So is the non-VIP discount the same in those last minute deals? Also what is Wyndham's cancellation policy on a reservation (whether last-minute deal or not)?
With Wyndham you can cancel up to 15 days prior or within 24 hrs if you are already within 14 days at time of booking. When cancelling you would get your points and Hk credits (i think fee as well if you paid) back but not your transaction credit/fee or guest cert credit/fee if you already added that.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

I usually will save a decent amount on most stays. If you want to start getting into vacation club ownership, you should just pick up any one of the deeds resale I posted in the picture below. I sorted 2021 maintenance fees from lowest to highest in the spreadsheet on the main page. Those are where the maintenance fees are low. Average maintenance is $6.61. Having at least 258,000 points is the perfect starter amount. It lets you have about 2-3 weeks worth of vacations if you budget your points really well and anything extra you need you can add later down the road or just rent off a VIP if it actually does end up being cheaper. At least with this amount of points, you can see all of the inventory and aren't overpaying on the program fee. The minimum program fee is $165 and costs $0.64 cents per thousand points, so owning anything less than 258,000 points will increase the cost per thousand points. You won't have access to every room by just renting. Some units rent out for double what they cost in maintenance fees and have to be booked between 13-10 months out. I'm probably the most frugal person on here. I literally wont even buy groceries at Walmart because their prices are too expensive for what you get. I have my own ownership because I get value in it. I own at Towers on the Grove and Grand Desert, solely because the deeds were cheap and have low maintenance fees.

1617479141219.png

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
I usually will save a decent amount on most stays. If you want to start getting into vacation club ownership, you should just pick up any one of the deeds resale I posted in the picture below. I sorted 2021 maintenance fees from lowest to highest in the spreadsheet on the main page. Those are where the maintenance fees are low. Average maintenance is $6.61. Having at least 258,000 points is the perfect starter amount. It lets you have about 2-3 weeks worth of vacations if you budget your points really well and anything extra you need you can add later down the road or just rent off a VIP if it actually does end up being cheaper. At least with this amount of points, you can see all of the inventory and aren't overpaying on the program fee. The minimum program fee is $165 and costs $0.64 cents per thousand points, so owning anything less than 258,000 points will increase the cost per thousand points. You won't have access to every room by just renting. Some units rent out for double what they cost in maintenance fees and have to be booked between 13-10 months out. I'm probably the most frugal person on here. I literally wont even buy groceries at Walmart because their prices are too expensive for what you get. I have my own ownership because I get value in it. I own at Towers on the Grove and Grand Desert, solely because the deeds were cheap and have low maintenance fees.

View attachment 34262
Thank you so much, that is so helpful! I know what you mean about groceries at WalMart. I've learned to be frugal over the years with 6 kids. I don't intend to quit now! Will be keeping an eye on resales.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Thank you so much, that is so helpful! I know what you mean about groceries at WalMart. I've learned to be frugal over the years with 6 kids. I don't intend to quit now! Will be keeping an eye on resales.
Just wondering what part of the country you live in and what part of the country you want to vacation in?

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
Just wondering what part of the country you live in and what part of the country you want to vacation in?

We live in IL. Right now, travel somewhat restricted by school schedules. In the past we've done Destin at spring break, though this year was ft lauderdale. We've done shorter trips to Wisconsin dells, gatlinburg, branson area. After retirement (in a few years) would like to do more beach time in the winter! Would also like to do some shorter stays, but that's a VIP perk, correct? Currently need 4 BR with our family size. In a few years, smaller unit would probably work...that's hard to know.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
We live in IL. Right now, travel somewhat restricted by school schedules. In the past we've done Destin at spring break, though this year was ft lauderdale. We've done shorter trips to Wisconsin dells, gatlinburg, branson area. After retirement (in a few years) would like to do more beach time in the winter! Would also like to do some shorter stays, but that's a VIP perk, correct? Currently need 4 BR with our family size. In a few years, smaller unit would probably work...that's hard to know.

How old are all of your kids? 4 bedrooms are really rare. Usually you need own at the resort you're staying at to get one. 3 bedrooms usually have 2 kings, 2 doubles and a queen pullout. You can also bring your own blow up mattresses.

chamel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet!
How old are all of your kids? 4 bedrooms are really rare. Usually you need own at the resort you're staying at to get one. 3 bedrooms usually have 2 kings, 2 doubles and a queen pullout. You can also bring your own blow up mattresses.
We have teenagers down to elementary age. I really don't know how we ended up with that 4BR at the Palm Aire! It was great! Good to know that we might have trouble booking one ourselves. Thanks for the info!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
We have teenagers down to elementary age. I really don't know how we ended up with that 4BR at the Palm Aire! It was great! Good to know that we might have trouble booking one ourselves. Thanks for the info!

You shouldn't have issues getting 3 bedrooms though. I don't see a problem in fitting that many people in a 3 bedroom if some are still pretty young.