• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wanted Urgently: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ha! I actually programmed in Cobol eons ago. Where do we find out the need? I wonder if I remember...

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Ha! I actually programmed in Cobol eons ago. Where do we find out the need? I wonder if I remember...
I programmed cobol and assembler. I believe the cobol would be easy to do now if I had to, the assembler no way!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I programmed cobol and assembler. I believe the cobol would be easy to do now if I had to, the assembler no way!
This was my background too. I loved assembler coding and while i did not do as much COBOL I could still find my way around I think.
Hmmmmm

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So they are wanting old guys from TUG!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The retired UIS COBAL programmers from Virginia are in their late 70' or early 80 or dead. There were only a few workers in the Virginia Employment Commission IT unit. LOL

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The retired UIS COBAL programmers from Virginia are in their late 70' or early 80 or dead. There were only a few workers in the Virginia Employment Commission IT unit. LOL
I am young at least young at heart at 59 and I programmed cobol, assembler, FORTRAN and pl1. And I probably programmed other languages that I forgot.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am 54 and I feel young on TUG too. LOL But I have no programming skills. :-(

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
COBOL, wow, now that has been decades since I have looked at anything like that.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 5 years or so ago, I wrote a web server in Cobol for Harry and David as a consultant. Yes, you read that right, not a service, not anything else, system level software. It actually didn't function as a web server per se, but was used to integrate an old system with modern client tech using web services. That's the only language they had on the old system. That had to be the oddest assignment I ever had. Works well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey I am only in my 50s and I wrote COBOL when I first got out of university and did that for 4 years, and another couple of years of COBOL-CICS before I went into "management".

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Hey, that's me too! I actually helped write COBOL compilers in the 70s. Does CICS still exist?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I do work in atmospheric dispersion modeling. The required modeling programs that I work with are written in FORTRAN. Open code. FORTRAN, like COBOL is a linear programming language instead of an object oriented language. Which probably means nothing to anyone who doesn't have to deal with legacy programming languages.

The profession has a significant problem. All of the FORTRAN programmers are approximately my age or older. I'm pushing 70. FORTRAN has continually evolved since I was in school, so I get lost pretty quickly when I start wading into the code, but the people who have kept abreast of the changes are my peers.

A few year ago EPA issued a contract to try to convert the basic program we work with to C++ (object-oriented). The conversion project bombed.

If some younger prgrammer wanted to invest time to come up to speed on the current status of languages such as FORTRAN and COBOL, I think they could make a good living in a high-value niche market.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Don’t know why they need programmers if the code is working, its just a capacity issue with the amount of claims. Something fishy about this story, why use a picture of a 1960s hardware, fake news!

I was working a project at CA Franchise Tax Board and they got a new IBM Z890 System mainframe, batch jobs that previously took days to run completed in hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Also, did Cobol PL/I programming for a few years before moving on. That was over 25+ years.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My first computer language in the Navy was COBOL, back in the mid-1970s. I even helped to write the Navy's (then) automated payroll system (SNAP-1) in Structured COBOL, an even more elite subset of standard ANSI COBOL. A dozen or so programming languages later, everything I ever did kind of flowed through the logic processing COBOL programming taught me.

But no thanks, I don't want to go back to work. I'm digging this retired thing, such as it is right now. :D

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don’t know why they need programmers if the code is working, its just a capacity issue with the amount of claims. Something fishy about this story, why use a picture of a 1960s hardware, fake news!

I was working a project at CA Franchise Tax Board and they got a new IBM Z890 System mainframe, batch jobs that previously took days to run completed in hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
With respect to the work that I do, it's because when the first programs were written, computers were vastly less powerful, and the state of knowledge was much less. As computing power has grown, we don't need to make the simplifications we needed to make 30 years ago. And we can also update algorithms to reflect current knowledge. All of which requires programming skills.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
FWIW: I miss setting up both DOS and MVS JCL.... :bawl:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
FWIW: I miss setting up both DOS and MVS JCL.... :bawl:

That's why your punch cards should have been numbered - so when the person reading your card deck into the system dropped them, they could be put back into the right order. Because we all know what happened when the program executed out of sequence. Yikes! :)

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought the unemployment insurance programs were all updated in 2000 or 2001.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's why your punch cards should have been numbered - so when the person reading your card deck into the system dropped them, they could be put back into the right order. Because we all know what happened when the program executed out of sequence. Yikes! :)

Dave
Yeah - so I remember carrying two boxes of punch cards (one entire box and two-thirds of the second box being data cards, not program code cards) as I was going down a stairwell, and bumping into someone, and seeing the boxes drop onto the stairs and the punch cards scattered over half a flight of stairs.

Not one of my life happy memories.