• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to trade to OceanWatch, which unit should I trade with?

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I would like to exchange into OceanWatch for a week between mid July and the end of August. This is actually for our friends to use, so I'd like to get away with the least deposit as possible to get them there. I would love to trade my Aruba Surf Club studio (Gold), but we've not traded anything from Surf Club yet, so I don't know about the trading power. So I have two questions:

1. What are my chances that I can exchange my Surf Club studio for a 2BR OceanWatch?
2. If the chances are slim, what would you recommend that I try the same exchange with? (Fairway Villas Platinum, 2BR Surf Club, 1BR Surf Club, or Studio Surf Club) (I have not booked anything for next year, so I need to book the week first. I just checked, and everything is available except the week leading to July 4.)

Thanks for your input.
BT

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even with you trading Marriott to Marriott I do not think you are going to able to trade a gold Aruba studio to a 2 BR Platinum time unit at Ocean Watch. You would have a better chance with the one bedroom maybe 50-50 and I would think a 85-90% chance if you use your 2 Br Aruba for the trade.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on experience and what I've been told by II, when trading into a very high demand resort (which you are), you need to use a 2BR if you want to get a 2BR in return. They told me that size is very, very important if you are up against similar quality and demand deposits. Think about it this way...would a 1BR or 2BR unit from the same resort (Aruba) trade better?

No chance you'll get it with the studio except in flexchange.

Personally, I'd try to use the Seaview since it is platinum and a 2BR.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Even with you trading Marriott to Marriott I do not think you are going to able to trade a gold Aruba studio to a 2 BR Platinum time unit at Ocean Watch. You would have a better chance with the one bedroom maybe 50-50 and I would think a 85-90% chance if you use your 2 Br Aruba for the trade.
I agree - except that if u r talking about summer 2009 - you should have had your request in with II in June.
Platinum Fairway Villas should also get the trade as you are flexible with your dates - Gold Fairway Villas (former Gold week owner :rolleyes: ) will not get it unless during flexchange....

davemy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would do it with your 1 bedroom, you said till the end of August, Last 2 weeks of August are gold at Oceanwatch. You will get that trade with your one bedroom for sure! I have traded my 1 bedrooms many times for 2 bedrooms during peak periods. For example, My 1 bedroom las vegas April 4th 2009 for 2 bedroom Grande ocean April 12th 2009, Easter Week, Time is on your side.

emmaddy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A trade into OW is not a slamdunk with any unit. It has, at the moment, the highest owner/ocuppancy rate of any Marriott. While the last 2 August weeks are not platinum, they are 2 of the most sought-after by owners and have been the subject of much controversy over who gets them. I would not count on any summer trade into OW. We have been there 4 summers in a row and rarely met anyone who got there on a trade. That's not to say it won't happen, but I would have a back-up somewhere else.

davemy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every Marriott sales rep says that their resort has the highest owner ocuppancy. We always here that grande ocean does too, and many others. Start out with the one bedroom for 2 to 3 months, if you don't get it then change to the 2 bedroom. Oceanwatch is a tough trade, i agree, But i've traded in twice during Easter with a 1 bedroom.

emmaddy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The operative word here is SUMMER. It's easy to get OW trades is spring and fall. Families want summer for a week at the beach when school is out, the temp is high and the water is 85 degrees. Owners here bought to have that to count on. Again, I think you need a back-up for this trade attempt.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
OW is a great resort. My parents have traded there the last 4 years from their Marriott property in Williamsburg but they do go during or right next to bike week. Maybe that is an easier time to trade in?

OW is very nice though, especially with the latest additions of the woodsy area, new indoor pool, workout center with plenty of machines and tvs, sauna's and steam rooms, etc. It's very nice! I just hope Cypress Harbour is close to that as that's what I just bought and will be going to next year.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about trying to trade into OW the last two weeks of August with anything. Marriott made these two weeks gold and tons of owners bought gold intending to go the last two weeks of August before school started. Now they have a lot of unhappy owners who can't get in there then. Chances of trading in during those two weeks using anything are virtually nil

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every Marriott sales rep says that their resort has the highest owner ocuppancy. We always here that grande ocean does too, and many others....

Diddo. I sent an email to the GM at Waiohai asking this exact question because I had heard it from so many others. He responded back with an exact percentage rate of owner occupancy at Waiohai. Unless I saw it in writing from management, I would not believe that statement.

Terry

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't count on it...the last two weeks are wildly popular with owners since they are the only gold summer weeks. Many owners stay there on their own or rent out their week.

Last 2 weeks of August are gold at Oceanwatch. You will get that trade with your one bedroom for sure!

davemy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt new owners of oceanwatch even know how or want to go thru the pain of renting out. I bet they know how to secure a prime week and deposit it with interval, Then get an AC. Remember the exchange is for a friend over a 6 to 8 week period. Also Easter week is very high demand, 100% filled, Us from the North drive to oceanwatch.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
All they have to do to rent it is to let Marriott rent it out for them. Not that it's very economical, but Marriott pushes it, and it's certainly not difficult. Same with points redemption.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I decided to use our 2BR Platinum Fairway Villas week. I just confirmed the MFV week for July 26 - August 2 and deposited that into II. I then put in a request for July 18 - August 30 next year. We'll see how it goes.

I'm getting an AC for the MFV week, so maybe I'll do something with that. Although I have one that is expiring the first week of January that I haven't used yet.

I can do more with the Surf Club 2BR, which is why I ended up choosing this route. Thanks for all the input!

I did stay at OceanWatch this summer (mid June) and it was very nice. My brother-in-law exchanged his MFV Plat week to get us there. We all had a blast.

As mentioned, this one if for our friends. They had a baby this year, and haven't travelled for 2 years. They mentioned they would like to go back to Myrtle Beach (they used to go every year), so we offered that we could try to exchange for them. We hope to not be able to travel ;) for a while, so hopefully this will all work out.

BT

sls1003

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your trade! Sorry, I found this thread late, but wanted to add that we did exchange into Oceanwatch with our Surf Club studio (gold) but it was for springtime (late April/early May week) so likely a much easier exchange. As an FYI, the exchange to Oceanwatch is not an instant exchange because they have to advise you of the construction so they put it on hold and leave a message on your voice mail if you are not home. Of course that is the one day that I didn't check our messages until the next morning. By the time I called II they had already released the hold :eek: but luckily I was calling early enough in the morning that I was still able to get the week. Hope you get your trade!

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents traded a week at Newport for a 2 bedroom at Oceanwatch. We checked in July 21, 2007.

While it is anecdotal, I talked to many people while we were there, and never met anyone there on an exchange. In fact, many people said they had never exchanged their week before!

Obviously, some people traded (since that's how we were there), but I was amazed how LOVED their week and came every year.

JT

kxknj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious about OceanWatch and Flexchange

I'm curious if anyone has anecdotal experience regarding acquiring a Platinum week at OW with an AC. I have a gold OW week which I've reserved for Aug 30th '09. Interested if anyone has info regarding me depositing my week and receiving an AC which I'd use to attempt to get a Platinum week within flexchange (I'd be pretty flexible from end of June through end of Aug). What are the chances ???

From a lot of posts, it seems that it would be very unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.

I'd probably use my deposited week for something during spring break '09.

kxknj

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the first year that building 4 has been open. I am sure the owner occupancy rate was very high prior to this. All the people who owned OV and GV units got the use of an Ocean Side unit. Now that they are having to occupy their GV unit many more will be depositing for trade. You can be assured that if you get a trade to OW it will be into a GV unit. It's a great resort but owners will trade more now and even more when building 5 is completed.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I agree. I believe it is probably normal that the first handful of years at a new resort will be heavily owner occupied. Either way, I'm hoping I get this week for our friends.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an exchange through II with check in on June 20, 2009. according to the Marriott website I've exchanged into a oceanside villa, hopefully this is what we will receive when we check in. I know everything is up in the air until you are at the resort checking in. Looking forward to our week at OW, we haven't been there for a couple of years, can't wait to see the back area completed.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in a request in Jan 2008 using a 2 bdrm gold Grande Vista, Memorial Day week, for a 2 bdrm unit at OW for Aug 2009. It was confirmed last weekend. So it is possible to get a trade in Aug but I expect the sooner the request is made, the better the chance is of getting what you want. Good luck!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I put in a request in Jan 2008 using a 2 bdrm gold Grande Vista, Memorial Day week, for a 2 bdrm unit at OW for Aug 2009. It was confirmed last weekend. So it is possible to get a trade in Aug but I expect the sooner the request is made, the better the chance is of getting what you want. Good luck!

Good news for OP!
I hope it comes thru for your friends and that you have success ;) as well :hi: