• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Walmart or Costco in Maui/Oahu

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Walmart good place to get baby things?
I wonder if we should pack most of the baby things like clothing, baby seat, stroller, food, diapers, etc... OR
should we just buy it at the Walmart/Costco in Maui?
Paying for the second luggage will cost us so maybe it's better to just purchase new ones at the island?
I did some searching on the forum but not too much info.

Is Walmart in Maui SUPER Walmart or just Walmart?

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walmart & Costco are both close to the main airport on Maui. Does your flight arrive during the day?

I've been in the Walmart once with a friend who was looking for Hawaiian shirts, but I don't recall if they had groceries. I don't think they did, but I could be wrong. I think there is also a K-Mart nearby.

I used to travel with a stroller and lots of baby gear when my boys were younger. But with the extra baggage charges now, it is probably a better idea to purchase the items you need on the island.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Maui Walmart has SOME groceries, but is NOT a Super Walmart. I found the prices were better than the supermarkets for the food items they did stock (March 2008).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Wal-Marts in Hawaii are not Supercenters, but Maui has all the major discount stores like Longs and K-Mart, and while not a discount store, we like Safeway Supermarkets - get their free discount card online.

Also - look into renting the baby equipment you need - http://akamaimothers.com/default.html. Ask your resort about a high chair and crib for free.

I definitely wouldn't pack diapers and baby food, which are readily available on Maui.

If you are staying in a TS with a w/d all you will need is about 4-5 changes for the baby, so clothes won't take much room.

I would take the child's car seat from home so they can sit in it on the plane. The child will be used to their own seat and more likely to understand that they have to stay in one place on the plane - they may also be more likely to sleep in their own car seat. I've never rented one but I've heard bad things about the condition and cleanliness of rental car seats.

My number one concern for a baby in Hawaii would be protection from the sun - babies can get fried in minutes in Hawaii. I would buy a bathing suit (whole body suit) with high spf protection, then you only have to put sunscreen on hands, feet, and face - and of course you need a protective hat.

More info about sunblocking swimsuits - http://babyproducts.about.com/od/clothing/gr/sun_safe.htm

Unless you plan to cook most of your meals in on vacation, Costco may not save you any money - we just use the Safeway Discount card.

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also - look into renting the baby equipment you need - http://akamaimothers.com/default.html. Ask your resort about a high chair and crib for free...I would take the child's car seat from home so they can sit in it on the plane.

Excellent link. Do you know if any stores in Oahu or the Big Island rent baby joggers. The last two times we went I called all over the place but no luck.

Also, on the flip side my daughter hates sitting in her car seat on the plane and won't sit in it. I think it's because she doesn't feel like she's moving. She does enjoy sitting in the regular plane seat. Plus when she's tired we can lift the arms up and she can stretch out and sleep. It's a lot more comfortable for all of us. Car seat can take up a lot of elbow room & are difficult to squeeze past every time you have to go to the potty.

At the current American Airlines doesn't charge for checking your car seat.

dive-in

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
At the current American Airlines doesn't charge for checking your car seat.

Haven't traveled with all the baby necessities in a while and certainly not since the airlines started charging for everything. Can't strollers be gate checked at no charge? You won't pay for an extra bag.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't traveled with all the baby necessities in a while and certainly not since the airlines started charging for everything. Can't strollers be gate checked at no charge? You won't pay for an extra bag.

I have called the airline and they did say it will be additional bag charge. Baby can get either 1 stroller or 1 baby seat free. I think my baby won't be getting a bag allowance either. I am thinking about purchasing a new stroller at Walmart in Maui. Is this good idea?
Oh and I was looking through WKORV web site and they offer Jogging stroller as one of the option but not sure if there will be any charge.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are paying for a ticket for the baby, then he/she WILL get the normal baggage allowance. Why would you think that he/she wouldn't?

Tony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have called the airline and they did say it will be additional bag charge. Baby can get either 1 stroller or 1 baby seat free. I think my baby won't be getting a bag allowance either. I am thinking about purchasing a new stroller at Walmart in Maui. Is this good idea?
Oh and I was looking through WKORV web site and they offer Jogging stroller as one of the option but not sure if there will be any charge.

Why would you buy one if you can rent one or get one from the resort?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are paying for a ticket for the baby, then he/she WILL get the normal baggage allowance. Why would you think that he/she wouldn't?

Tony

Some airlines now charges for ALL checked bags, so this maybe the normal baggage allowance/charge....

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Why would you buy one if you can rent one or get one from the resort?

Sometimes rentals are more expensive than buying.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKORV site says....

Guest Request Items*

Auxiliary Aid, hearing impaired equipment kit
Auxiliary Aid, hearing impaired, personal amplification kit
Auxiliary Aid, raised toilet seat and rails
Auxiliary Aid, hand held shower attachment
Auxiliary Aid, tub guard rail
Auxiliary Aid, tub transfer bench
Bathrobes
Bed Board
Bed Rails
Blankets
Children's Bathrobes
Comb
Contact Lens Solution
Crib
Crib Linen (bed pad, sheets)
Curling Iron
Diaper Disposal
Diapers and Wipes
Electrical Adapter
Electric Fan
Electric Tea Kettle
Flower Vase
Hair Dryer
Hangers
Heavenly Dog Bed, water bowl, food dish, and mat
High Chair/Booster Chair
Humidifier
Jogging Stroller
Laundry Soap
Lint Brush
Lock Out Service for adult or all movies
Mirror (hand held)
Mouthwash
Nail File
Nail Polish Remover
Pillow
Pillow, non-allergenic
Potty Seat
Razor, disposable
Refrigerator
Rollaway Bed
Scale
Sewing Kit
Shoe Shine
Shower Cap
Step Stool
Toothpaste
Tampons/Sanitary Napkins
Umbrella
Westin Traveler's Kit
*Request items are subject to availability.

Does this mean there is no charge for these items as long they are available?

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I don't know, but.......is an interesting inclusion, given that pets are supposedly not allowed on the property.

They are allowed for certain individuals like those that have a dog for sight reasons, etc...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Service Dogs (AKA guide dogs) are allowed in all accommodations by law.

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've traveled multiple times to Hawaii with ds since he was 11 months old. He's now 3.Here's what I would do -

Buy baby a seat on the plane - it's about 60% of the cost of an adult seat to HI. This way, baby gets luggage allowance and parents don't have to hold him on an 8 hour flight both ways (we fly from MN).

Bring my own stroller and carseat. While both can be purchased on island, I find that the stores generally have only one or two choices.

Bring my own diapers and baby food and sunscreen. Even in grocery stores, they don't seem to be as well stocked as the mainland, so it could be that they are sold out of your diaper size for a few days. Unless you're going for a month, Costco is not a good alternative. :p I've seen diapers being sold in smaller stores in HI at $1 per diaper. :eek:

Don't bring too many clothes - you can do laundry.

If you do want to purchase things, I've found that Kmart is much better than Walmart for baby things.

FlyKaesan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but.......is an interesting inclusion, given that pets are supposedly not allowed on the property.

I saw big dog today in the morning with an owner. They were in front of WKORV-N.