• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WALK-THROUGH - HAWAII'S NEW TRAVEL POLICY: My experience traveling to Hawaii

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can create your account and trips then add your test results when received.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You can create your account and trips then add your test results when received.

So are you saying I can enter everything into the "Trip" except the "Quarantine Exemption Approval ID" and it will save, and I can come back and edit the trip later to add that ID number?

And to confirm, is that ID something you get when/after you upload the negative test results? How long after the upload do you get that?

I think what confuses me somewhat is that at the end it doesn't say "Save", it says, "Submit." But if I don't have all the required information it seems Submit would be a bad choice.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
After you upload your test it will say approaval pending and soon after it will say yes under quarantine exemption. Save that email as you need it for check in at the hotel.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
After you upload your test it will say approaval pending and soon after it will say yes under quarantine exemption. Save that email as you need it for check in at the hotel.
Thanks. Does that email have the Approval ID that I need to put into the "Trip" in the Trip section?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Mine didn't I just rechecked my email

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You create what info you have for your trip. Flight info etc and "submit". It can be edited later. Remember you need a separate trip for each leg of trip. In fact I had to change ours several times in November-December as flights were changed and canceled. I would advise you to create your accounts before the last minute so all that is needed to add is test result. Also carry a printout of QR codes in case problem with phones. One island I needed the paper copy to pickup rental car the next only wanted the phone QR. Timeshare check-ins wanted phone code.
Have a good trip! Aloha

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes. You create what info you have for your trip. Flight info etc and "submit". It can be edited later. Remember you need a separate trip for each leg of trip. In fact I had to change ours several times in November-December as flights were changed and canceled. I would advise you to create your accounts before the last minute so all that is needed to add is test result. Also carry a printout of QR codes in case problem with phones. One island I needed the paper copy to pickup rental car the next only wanted the phone QR. Timeshare check-ins wanted phone code.
Have a good trip! Aloha

Thank you. For this trip its easy, LAX-HNL-LAX. March will involve a hop to Maui. Cross that bridge later. Like you suggest, I'm trying to get all our Safe Travel info teed up and complete just pending the test results.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
One more question. It says something about uploading a picture of yourself.

1610567852559.png

Is that required? I don't see any other reference to doing that except one mention somewhere that you can upload a "selfie."

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Selfie time. It's easy to miss. I had to point it out to our son. He missed it for the entire family! Very last minute for them. It was checked in both Kona and Lihue.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Quarantine Approval Exemption ID mentioned in the form is for those that have an exemptions as described at https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/. This is different than the exemption due to having a negative COVID test. IT doesn't apply to most travelers. I left that line blank. The uploaded negative test results are all that are needed to get an exemption as a tourist.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Henry M. I agree. My answers have been from memory so kind of forgot about that.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I think the Quarantine Approval Exemption ID mentioned in the form is for those that have an exemptions as described at https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/. This is different than the exemption due to having a negative COVID test. IT doesn't apply to most travelers. I left that line blank. The uploaded negative test results are all that are needed to get an exemption as a tourist.

I believe this is correct. Some essential workers going between the islands may get an exemption and they can fill that in.

When I went inter-island we left it blank also.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes. Selfie time. It's easy to miss. I had to point it out to our son. He missed it for the entire family! Very last minute for them. It was checked in both Kona and Lihue.

Okay... three selfies it is. Thx.

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last trip to Maui was Oct. 31, 2020, the old rules were in effect. We leave Jan. 17, 2021 for our latest trip, new rules in place. Due to the change in Safe Travel partners our local CVS could not do the test. We are changing planes in DFW so my first thought, do the test at the airport, the airport price is $239. Did some more research and decided to use Vault Health. All started out well, received the test kit on Monday, went online Thursday, took the test, placed my tube and wife's in the same box and shipped it Thursday afternoon and it arrived at the lab 10:00 am Friday. A Tugger suggested use one box marked "2 tests" and the Vault person said that was a good way to keep them together. Last night, midnight, my wife's test arrived, mine didn't. Called Vault, they couldn't find the sample tube. Said the looked everywhere, including the "orphan" stack, which are those the can't match to a name. They offered me a $119 refund. I then requested a refund of my wife's charge, that would then pay for the DFW test. We were lucky that we have a 3 hour layover in DFW. What if we hadn't? They were so sorry. They may look at the hundreds of tubes a day they receive and say, Oh well, it was just one, but what about the loss of my vacation and those funds? Had I been connecting in a city that didn't have onsite testing, we would be SOL. New backup plan, there is a Care Now a 10 minute Uber from DFW, if we have to I'll go off site. I don't mind going to Plan B, but I hate to go to Plan C. Aloha,

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Our last trip to Maui was Oct. 31, 2020, the old rules were in effect. We leave Jan. 17, 2021 for our latest trip, new rules in place. Due to the change in Safe Travel partners our local CVS could not do the test. We are changing planes in DFW so my first thought, do the test at the airport, the airport price is $239. Did some more research and decided to use Vault Health. All started out well, received the test kit on Monday, went online Thursday, took the test, placed my tube and wife's in the same box and shipped it Thursday afternoon and it arrived at the lab 10:00 am Friday. A Tugger suggested use one box marked "2 tests" and the Vault person said that was a good way to keep them together. Last night, midnight, my wife's test arrived, mine didn't. Called Vault, they couldn't find the sample tube. Said the looked everywhere, including the "orphan" stack, which are those the can't match to a name. They offered me a $119 refund. I then requested a refund of my wife's charge, that would then pay for the DFW test. We were lucky that we have a 3 hour layover in DFW. What if we hadn't? They were so sorry. They may look at the hundreds of tubes a day they receive and say, Oh well, it was just one, but what about the loss of my vacation and those funds? Had I been connecting in a city that didn't have onsite testing, we would be SOL. New backup plan, there is a Care Now a 10 minute Uber from DFW, if we have to I'll go off site. I don't mind going to Plan B, but I hate to go to Plan C. Aloha,
Scary. We go on Jan 28. It's costing a bit more, but I've opted for a local site that does quick-result tests. Doing that the morning of Jan 26. If there's any hiccup, we have all day the 27th and can go down to LAX and get the test there.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Vault too. We sent my wife's and my test tube in one box, marked that there were two test samples on the outside. UPS reported the test arrived around 9:00 am the following day. Vault sent me an email for each test around 10:00 am. My wife got her results around n 6:30 pm, but mine didn't show up until 5:35 am the next morning. We had to leave the house at 6:00 am so it was cutting it close. Still, we got our results less than 24 hours since Vault received them.

If I were doing it again, I'd try to find a Walgreens location that can do the rapid test. There is only one where I live, and is a bit of a drive. Still, results come back quicker. Note that not all Walgreen's do the rapid test. The normal one takes up to 72 hours, just like Vault.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
One wrinkle I had not expected is that as smooth as the QR code reading was at OGG, for some inexplicalbe reasons Hertz and Westin (and I have to imagine the other car rental companies and resorts) do NOT have QR readers (??) so you need to be able to pull up the Safe Travels QR email on your phone so they can read the writing and not just see the code.

I had trouble with my password for some reason, had to reset it was more hassle than I had counted on. If anyone has speculations as to why neither Hertz or the Westin had a QR reader I would love to hear it. It can't be for lack of money but I can't imagine what possible reason it could be.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
One wrinkle I had not expected is that as smooth as the QR code reading was at OGG, for some inexplicalbe reasons Hertz and Westin (and I have to imagine the other car rental companies and resorts) do NOT have QR readers (??) so you need to be able to pull up the Safe Travels QR email on your phone so they can read the writing and not just see the code.

I had trouble with my password for some reason, had to reset it was more hassle than I had counted on. If anyone has speculations as to why neither Hertz or the Westin had a QR reader I would love to hear it. It can't be for lack of money but I can't imagine what possible reason it could be.

Can't the camera on most smartphones function as a QR reader?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't the camera on most smartphones function as a QR reader?

Yes as far as I know. That is why I am flumoxed as to why the car/resort folks won't read a QR code issued by the state of Hawaii. They were both looking for print when staring in the face of a QR code that the airport had just read to let us through!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had to show Hertz and the resort (Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villa) the pink form that I got at the airport right when I got off the plane. I don't think I had to show the QR code.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just had to show Hertz and the resort (Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villa) the pink form that I got at the airport right when I got off the plane. I don't think I had to show the QR code.

I know you have been there for a while Henry M and I think the procedures are quite in flux.We did not get pink slips or any paper, just our QR code that was scanned at the airport.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Things do change quite a bit. I find the change of procedure more of a problem than the actual hoops you need to jump through. They also just added the requirement for a contact tracing app on your smartphone.

Sorry about the weather! It has been great until now. Hopefully it will blow over by tomorrow afternoon.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly, both are fine with me. We don’t get enough rain in California these days so I’m happy to see it wherever I can get it. And happy to be here looking at the ocean and a change of scenery even though in a real piece of irony, it is warmer and sunnier in San Francisco right now than it is here.

And even though the Covid tracing doesn’t go into effect until tomorrow, we signed up for it right away. I’d be happy for the information to be available.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the app too. Contact tracing doesn't keep your information. It uses a random number ID to determine that one device has been near another device for a certain amount of time. If the owner of one device reports being COVID positive, the system can use the list of random IDs to notify all devices that have been near it. There are safeguards in place to not store personally identifiable information. It is up to you to then do something about it. I don't mind getting notified about having been near someone COVID-positive.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I got the app too. Contact tracing doesn't keep your information. It uses a random number ID to determine that one device has been near another device for a certain amount of time. If the owner of one device reports being COVID positive, the system can use the list of random IDs to notify all devices that have been near it. There are safeguards in place to not store personally identifiable information. It is up to you to then do something about it. I don't mind getting notified about having been near someone COVID-positive.
Why would I NOT want to know if I was exposed? Why would I NOT want others to know if I was tested positive and they may have been exposed? Contract tracing is about as evil as donating food or money to a charity or giving up your seat to a disabled person.