• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wait time at Marriott vacation club

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe I had posted this 4 or 5 weeks ago, but this is Monday, December 28, and tried to call at noon with a 45 minute wait; 3:00 p.m. with a 40 minute wait; then at 7:45 p.m. with a 35 minute wait. DH just got a response. We have been members since the early 90's and have never experienced this. Ok, just asked the reason why, and was told there are a lot more owners now. We have owned since 1990, and if there are a lot more owners now, should they not have more employees to handle the demand?
We also asked for the owner rate for a timeshare, and it was $100 more per night than we could get today on line. So 23% less just going on line than getting an owner discount!
Guess, I'm just letting off steam!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I called earlier today and the wait time was very short. They must have received a rush of calls each time you tried. Another thing I just thought of is that are at the Executive level now, so I think our calls go to a specific group at MVC. I will defer to others to see what experiences they have had, but I suspect it is more of a timing issue than anything else.

I hope your future efforts work out better for you.

Mike

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, now I'm really upset! I asked the supervisor, Ashley, for a name that I could write to about the wait time, and she said I didn't understand that times have changed. When I persisted for a name to write or contact, she hung up on me.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Also consider that it is the holidays. IN the office where I work, we are at about half staff due to holiday vacations. Though we are a non customer facing department. I would suspect that MVCI has a higher absentee rate during the holidays.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally, understand the holidays. I am retired and held a high volume position, but, I would never nor let anyone else hang up when asking for a name to write to file a complaint. Again, probably, getting a little 'over the end here', but have owned since 1993 and have never filed a written complaint.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called a number of times today and the recording either said to call back later as they were too busy or the wait times were at least 15 minutes. I have worked with Ashley a number of times and she has always been very professional.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
A few companies have a system that calls you back rather than make you wait on the line. I believe Southwest Airlines does this? More of the vacation clubs should do this, so you can do something besides hang on the line.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to call early in the morning.

UthTrvlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also consider that it is the holidays. IN the office where I work, we are at about half staff due to holiday vacations. Though we are a non customer facing department. I would suspect that MVCI has a higher absentee rate during the holidays.

I would suspect dioxide may be correct, add on top of that it's flu season, and we've been getting quite a bit of snow here in Utah which is great for the ski resorts, but not so great trying to get to work. :(

It'll also be busy as the Marriott Reward trade for points deadline is Thursday, along with a huge majority of people's points expiring, and the calls taking longer trying to find options to use them.

SnowDogDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they have more owners, then it is even more imperative that they overhaul the my-vacationclub.com site so that owners can do more online without even having to call.

Their current site is quite a dinosaur. I have heard some RUMINT that a new site is in development but no reliable verification.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever I call I get an unacceptable wait time. (just since this fall)

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If they have more owners, then it is even more imperative that they overhaul the my-vacationclub.com site so that owners can do more online without even having to call.

Their current site is quite a dinosaur. I have heard some RUMINT that a new site is in development but no reliable verification.

Allowing owners to cancel or modify reservations online would go a long way to reducing wait times. As well as allowing owners to reserve weeks reservations 13 months out.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try this

A few companies have a system that calls you back rather than make you wait on the line. I believe Southwest Airlines does this? More of the vacation clubs should do this, so you can do something besides hang on the line.
Silentg
Select "View My Vacation Club Portfolio"
Select "Click to Talk"
Enter your phone number

A VOA will call you quite promptly.

I did this last week after having similar frustrations. A couple of caveats...it's better to call in, and log in, promptly at 9:00am Eastern when inventory is released. Also, I have found the knowledge level of the VOA to be spotty, as compared to the Chairman's Club number, where you typically connect to an experienced VOA. Ymmv. Cheers.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Allowing owners to cancel or modify reservations online would go a long way to reducing wait times. As well as allowing owners to reserve weeks reservations 13 months out.
So simple, so logical, sadly so unlikely.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
So simple, so logical, sadly so unlikely.

Yeah. Wonder why a really quite simple software upgrade wouldn't be done when it would be much cheaper than the personnel costs for the people to do these things daily.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Yeah. Wonder why a really quite simple software upgrade wouldn't be done when it would be much cheaper than the personnel costs for the people to do these things daily.

Be careful what you wish for. Remember the MF payment system debacle a short month or so ago. If the MVC IT folks are the cream of the crop, we have yet to see the cream.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Be careful what you wish for. Remember the MF payment system debacle a short month or so ago. If the MVC IT folks are the cream of the crop, we have yet to see the cream.

I read this over on a different forum. What it stated was that for the most part the top tier (cream of the crop) IT people end up all going to the big IT companies. The likes of Google, Amazon, EBay. The non IT companies that need IT services tend to get the rest. So VAC isn't going to end up with the cream of the crop, nor is II or RCI. That is why we tend to see them more behind the ball on upgrades and moves forward with their web platform.

No offense to anyone working for non IT companies that work in IT. Just repeating what I had heard.:eek:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Another thing that would help reduce wait times is allow enrolled owners to check availability online even if they have not elected DC points. Three times in the last two days I have wanted to check availability. Since I have no intention of electing points, I have to call to find out availability. If something is available, I intend to then rent the points for the transaction. I am sure others would be willing to then elect points if something was available. Having the option to elect if something is available or even cancel a weeks reservation and then elect all in one step would be a big lift for us.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing that would help reduce wait times is allow enrolled owners to check availability online even if they have not elected DC points. Three times in the last two days I have wanted to check availability. Since I have no intention of electing points, I have to call to find out availability. If something is available, I intend to then rent the points for the transaction. I am sure others would be willing to then elect points if something was available. Having the option to elect if something is available or even cancel a weeks reservation and then elect all in one step would be a big lift for us.
I totally agree.
I have elected some of my weeks for points successfully in the past.
If what you suggest was implemented though, I would almost certainly elect more weeks, more often.

wordine

Reaction score
Called in early January ... Got a 23 minute wait time ... asked a question about a resort and the advisor needed to put me on hold ... I was disconnected ... so I had call a second time ... had to wait another 13 minutes ... second advisor had a difficult time tracking down the first advisor ... second advisor sent an email to the first advisor ... second advisor could not get a response from the first advisor ... Days later, I received an email survey asking about my experience ... I related what you have just read and said that Marriott was certainly welcome to phone me and discuss, and I left my phone number. I'm still waiting for that call. Both advisors said that the call center was swamped at this time of year. My opinion is that staffing is a management issue and is a reflection on people at the top.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called in early January ... Got a 23 minute wait time ... asked a question about a resort and the advisor needed to put me on hold ... I was disconnected ... so I had call a second time ... had to wait another 13 minutes ... second advisor had a difficult time tracking down the first advisor ... second advisor sent an email to the first advisor ... second advisor could not get a response from the first advisor ... Days later, I received an email survey asking about my experience ... I related what you have just read and said that Marriott was certainly welcome to phone me and discuss, and I left my phone number. I'm still waiting for that call. Both advisors said that the call center was swamped at this time of year. My opinion is that staffing is a management issue and is a reflection on people at the top.

I called them myself last week and had about a 25 minute wait. I inquired as to why the delay and was told this is a bad time every year as many owners are calling up to pay their annual maintenance fees (just like I did during the last week of December 2015).

snowgoose

Reaction score
I called on the morning of 1/10 to make a 13 month, two week consecutive reservation and the wait was 24 minutes. Received my confirmation emails - all is good.

Then I received a frustrating and confusing email in the afternoon saying I made reservations twice, etc., etc. I called to question this email and the wait was still 24 minutes. Bottom line explanation was the person who sent the email fat fingered my reservation dates. That explanation didn't make sense but I didn't question it any further because they verified my reservations were correct as ordered - that's all I needed to hear.

Lesson learned - Marriott does make serious mistakes. If you see or sense something amiss be sure to call them, don't let a long wait time deter you.

I total agree with above posts that Marriott's hold times will be reduced and customer satisfaction will go up if they arrange for us to make 13 month reservations via the internet.

Last edited: