• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waiohai: Rent or Exchange? 2017

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We own Waiohai IV.

Spending two weeks there this year, decided to try out MKO or Maui (any 5* resort) next year. Trying to decide best use of owned MAW week. I have MGR 3br trader that has netted very good trades (1 week in MAW and Marbella 2br). Could use this.... Have Worldmark could probably grab something with that too. So....

Trying to get 2 weeks in Hawaii in 2017:

MKO/Maui in any combination. (MKO/MKO, MKO/Maui, Maui/Maui)
Really like a kitchen, so full kitchen a must for at least 1 of the weeks
At least one week must be 1br or larger (prefer 2br)
Airfare purchase date not a factor
Flex trades ok, but not <59 days 1st match, both weeks (E-plus upgrades ok)

My questions:
Rent out Waiohai or exchange?
When to book Waiohai for exchange/rental (6-7,13-15,26-30), early or later? (13 mos on later dates)
Who best to list with (Tug/Redweek/etc..)

Thanks in advance, getting ready to make plans! Right after I get back from Kauai!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
We own Waiohai IV.

Spending two weeks there this year, decided to try out MKO or Maui (any 5* resort) next year. Trying to decide best use of owned MAW week. I have MGR 3br trader that has netted very good trades (1 week in MAW and Marbella 2br). Could use this.... Have Worldmark could probably grab something with that too. So....

My questions:
When to book Waiohai for exchange/rental (6-7,13-15,26-30), early or later? (13 mos on later dates)

Thanks in advance, getting ready to make plans! Right after I get back from Kauai!

Depends on the time, but overall MKO is much easier to get into than Maui and greater chance you will have a full kitchen. There usually is a fair bit of availability in the original Maui towers with the limited kitchens (they do have a cooking facility by the main lobby now but have not seen it - has stoves and ovens but I would assume it is a bit of pain cooking down there and bringing it back to your room but not the end of the world). MKO is not a hard trade and you should be able to get it with your GV fairly easily.

In terms of your Waiohai - it is way too expensive to use it as a trader, you are better off renting it and using the money to rent out whatever unit you want on Maui or at MKO. In terms of week to pick, check the demand index for Waiohai to see what is the highest demand week. Most probably it is spring break, summer or holiday times if you are allowed to. I would assume July 4th would be popular.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Waiohai is a beautiful resort, but Kauai does not rent as well as Maui or Oahu.

I like Feb. - Easter, and July, with a Saturday check-in for rental dates.

You want to post it on as many timeshare rental websites as possible for the most traffic, however, I do not use the full-ownership vacation property rental sites like VRBO, and Flipkey, because I don't like their structure or pricing.

I like Redweek, TUG, and Craigslist.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We own Waiohai IV.

My questions:

Rob,

I do not know how good a rental property MAW is. I would consider depositing the 2BR MAW and trading into a 1BR at MOC. I've had excellent success trading a 2BR down into a 1BR in Summer, so I think it is very doable.

You could trade your 2BR GV for a 1BR at MKO, and then trade the GV Studio for a MKO Studio, and build a 2BR at MKO. MKO Studio's have historically been an easy trade (even with Worldmark) and constructing a 2BR should be doable. I do not know how often a fully intact 2BR at MKO is deposited, but you may get lucky and trade your 2BR GV for a 2BR at MKO.

Make sense? I think you would get both of your reservations well in advance. Let us know what you decide.

Best,

Greg

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Waiohai IV.

My questions:

I see Quad's point, but I guess my answer would be "it depends". It can be a hassle renting the unit -- and remember you will have to take out costs from the rental like advertising fees, credit card fees, etc. Clearly one of the drawbacks in exchanging is that at Waiohai you have to exchange the whole 2BR as it doesn't lockoff.

You will likely net more by renting out the unit -- whether or not the time spent is worth it versus depositing for exchange is up to you.

If I were renting or exchanging, I'd book week 26 as well (July 4). Check redweek to get an idea of market rates. Tug is free so I'd list there too, but I wouldn't solely rely on the Tug ads for rental purposes.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

-ryan

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Will be at MAW for 3 weeks beginning in Feb:hi: Love that place!

Other option is exchange for DC points and the use them for Maui/Ko Olina...you lose some in the skim but it may be less of a hassle than renting, exchanging, etc. I have had some pretty good results using DC points...best way is to put in an OGS through Customer Service.

Good luck

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Depends on the time, but overall MKO is much easier to get into than Maui and greater chance you will have a full kitchen. There usually is a fair bit of availability in the original Maui towers with the limited kitchens (they do have a cooking facility by the main lobby now but have not seen it - has stoves and ovens but I would assume it is a bit of pain cooking down there and bringing it back to your room but not the end of the world). MKO is not a hard trade and you should be able to get it with your GV fairly easily.

I've had no problems seeing Marriotts, just some of them came pretty late in the year (75-59 days). I don't mind one of the weeks in an LK, but not both. I'd be fine with 1 week in MMO and 1 in MM1 or WKOPR/N or Hyatt :)?)...just not both. Worldmark will actually pull MKO pretty easy too.

In terms of your Waiohai - it is way too expensive to use it as a trader, you are better off renting it and using the money to rent out whatever unit you want on Maui or at MKO. In terms of week to pick, check the demand index for Waiohai to see what is the highest demand week. Most probably it is spring break, summer or holiday times if you are allowed to. I would assume July 4th would be popular.
That's why I'm posting this; don't want to waste an expensive rental when WM/MGR will get it. Thanks for the opinion. The weeks cited in my post are the >135 TDI weeks.

Waiohai is a beautiful resort, but Kauai does not rent as well as Maui or Oahu.
Yup, that's my quandary; Waiohai IV rental, is it worth the trouble?

I like Feb. - Easter, and July, with a Saturday check-in for rental dates.
The dates in my post are the ones you mention; thanks for Saturday...

You want to post it on as many timeshare rental websites as possible for the most traffic, however, I do not use the full-ownership vacation property rental sites like VRBO, and Flipkey, because I don't like their structure or pricing.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions
I like Redweek, TUG, and Craigslist.

Rob,

I do not know how good a rental property MAW is. I would consider depositing the 2BR MAW and trading into a 1BR at MOC. I've had excellent success trading a 2BR down into a 1BR in Summer, so I think it is very doable.
I think it's doable too....but if I wait for week 26 to book....that only gives me 9 mos to trade (I want to travel in mid-Jan to mid-March). Should I take the lower 135 TDI and book FEB (and try to book MGR at 12 mos vs 13mos--week 26 is High TDI for MGR 2017) or wait till week 26 and book both units 13 mos at 150 TDI giving me only 9 mos to search?
You could trade your 2BR GV for a 1BR at MKO, and then trade the GV Studio for a MKO Studio, and build a 2BR at MKO. MKO Studio's have historically been an easy trade (even with Worldmark) and constructing a 2BR should be doable. I do not know how often a fully intact 2BR at MKO is deposited, but you may get lucky and trade your 2BR GV for a 2BR at MKO. Thanks, with 2 Marriotts and 2 WM's the possibilities are mind boggling. Probably book 1 unit early with MP and then try to book 2nd week with WM or eplus or ????

Make sense? I think you would get both of your reservations well in advance. Let us know what you decide.

Best,

Greg

I see Quad's point, but I guess my answer would be "it depends". It can be a hassle renting the unit -- and remember you will have to take out costs from the rental like advertising fees, credit card fees, etc. Clearly one of the drawbacks in exchanging is that at Waiohai you have to exchange the whole 2BR as it doesn't lockoff. Of course, that's why I'm posting. It'll be my first renting experience, and I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I don't mind paying for my week(s) in Hawaii, but it'd sure be nice to have one free..... My MGR studio got me my 2nd Waiohai week this year. Sweet! :whoopie:
You will likely net more by renting out the unit -- whether or not the time spent is worth it versus depositing for exchange is up to you.

If I were renting or exchanging, I'd book week 26 as well (July 4). Check redweek to get an idea of market rates. Tug is free so I'd list there too, but I wouldn't solely rely on the Tug ads for rental purposes.
Thanks, see my comments above. Book separately at 12mos, book both later at 13 mos.... Thanks for the advice.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

-ryan

Will be at MAW for 3 weeks beginning in Feb:hi: Love that place!
Very nice! I'm there thru the 14th, so we should have a drink (or 2).
Other option is exchange for DC points and the use them for Maui/Ko Olina...you lose some in the skim but it may be less of a hassle than renting, exchanging, etc. I have had some pretty good results using DC points...best way is to put in an OGS through Customer Service.
I'm a lowly post 2010 owner. No way in heck :ignore: am I going to pay 25k or is it 30k now? to have 8 weeks of vacation I can't use. I'm still gainfully employed... too early to retire. Especially after this week. But thanks for the advice. I'll PM you.

Good luck

Thanks all for the advice. If anyone has comments on the booking, I'd appreciate it:

1. Book MAW Feb at 150 TDI (if able) and get moving on rental/trade, book MGR July 150 TDI at 12 mos (if able) and start searching 7-9 mos from check-in.
  2. book MAW/MGR July at 150 TDI, 13 mos out and rent/search from there with 7-9 mos before check-in
  3. Book em both in Feb, MAW @ 150, MGR at 130, 13 mos out and get cracking. (I hate to book the 3br at low TDI--can always swap studio in Florida to higher TDI
THanks!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Its a bit outside of your time frame, but there is a lot of 2 br at Ko Olina in April right now and I can see them with a 1 br but using a studio, it mostly comes up with studio units. Mid Jan - Mid Mar was available earlier and its a bit late for them for this year but next year is possible. I find most times of the year available there and I now prefer it over to Maui - its like being in Maui without the crowds, the hassle of trying to trade into a unit with a kitchen and most often being able to get into 2 br units with lots of availability overall.

Last edited: