• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waiohai - best option for better room?

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Worldmark, WKORV
So I have the opportunity to book the first week of April 2022 in an ocean view room. I can either book through a deeded owner 12 months out or DP owner 13 months out. I have done my research and understand the hierarchy of room assignments but I’m having a hard time deciding what would get a better room. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There are very few really good OV units at Waiohai. We have been told that those units go to multiple week Waiohai owners on multiple week stays who switch units during their stays. I don't know how true this is but we got one of the really good OV units exactly once during our 14 years of ownership (we generally make reservations exactly 12 months in advance).

What I am trying to say here is that you should not have high expectations about getting one of those units. That said, you definitely pay the extra for OV rather than IV; some of the IV units are parking lot view.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Expect this Ocean View (yes, this is Ocean View):

IMG_20200315_192049.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you stand on your tippy toes and squint just right.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay much more for an OV unit, esp if it's not an owned unit given the unit priorities for assignments.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I don't think the OP ever mentioned OV - most of which are truly awful at Waiohai.

I do not think booking either way would get a better room. If you get your request in very early - choosing the Hale you prefer - and are not renting the unit, then you will probably get something you want.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the OP ever mentioned OV - most of which are truly awful at Waiohai.

I do not think booking either way would get a better room. If you get your request in very early - choosing the Hale you prefer - and are not renting the unit, then you will probably get something you want.
The specific question was whether an owned unit or points unit would give a better room for OV. My point, like yours, was that it's not worth paying much extra for either. However, as specifically asked, the direct owned reservation has a higher chance of a reasonable view, just not enough to worry about. I'd take the points room though because if one has to change or cancel, it's possible to have more options in rebooking if the seller is willing. And I'd take a cheaper non OV over a more expensive OV.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
This is off point about the OP's specific question about whether owner or points unit would give him a better room, but hopefully helpful. We have been here for a month (as II exchangers) and although 2 of our weeks were OV, they were unavailable, surely for the reasons noted so far. So we have been in resort/garden/island view type units.

Even in a walk around the property when I first arrived I could tell there were very few good OV units; the resort has most of its units back from the beach.

Here are some pics from 8404, which is IVIL/IVTM (reclassified apparently when they had no HTBOV). Although a great OV would have been nice, we are happy enough in any view without cars.

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A few of the Hawaii resorts prioritize according to the date booked with earlier bookings getting better placements. Is Waiohai one of those, and would that mean the 13-mos Points reservation window would have an advantage over the 12-mos Weeks reservation?

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
And as I always say... They're all pretty much the same once the sun goes down!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried a couple of ways to upload photos from our room last March, but was not successful. We own garden view and had a sliver of an ocean view from our balcony. The view looking over the resort is beautiful.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Here's a better ocean view, but units with a view like this are not normally assigned to anyone other than owners staying multiple weeks. It was a fluke when Hawaii was totally shut down. There were a total of 5 (five) units occupied in the whole resort at that time.
DSC05277.jpg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
Expect this Ocean View (yes, this is Ocean View):

View attachment 32966
Great example!
That's why I wont stay at that Marriott! If a good view is important to you look at the 2 MVCI properties in Lihue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few of the Hawaii resorts prioritize according to the date booked with earlier bookings getting better placements. Is Waiohai one of those, and would that mean the 13-mos Points reservation window would have an advantage over the 12-mos Weeks reservation?
But only within a category so the owned week would still have priority over the points reservation even if it was a single week and the points were multiple.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We stayed at Waiohai several years ago. Looking at the above pics, I had no idea that the unit we were in was likely an ocean view (we could see a sliver of ocean).

While we lover the resort and the beach, we weren’t so fond of its location I relation to everything else.

This is an older resort that was likely sold out before the DC came into existence. I don’t know the exact answer to your question, but if I were to speculate, I bet owners staying on their own time will receive preference over everyone else, including those renting from owners or DC reservations.

If a view is important to you, Kauai Lagoons might be the better choice...... if that’s an option. Otherwise I’d be more likely to use DC points, just because there’s no middle man and DC points reservations are “suppose” to be considered owner reservations instead of exchanges. I still find that when I make a DC reservation, I might be considered an owner reservation, but it’s second class to an owner that holds a deeded week at the resort. This is my assumption based on actual units received at DC reservations vs unit location when staying on our own time at deeded resorts, including a few reservations at Grand Chateau as either the deeded week owner bs using destination points for Grand Chateau. Although there are other factors which could affect placement as well, such as full week vs partial week. Still, as an owner staying on our time we’ve always been placed in a high floor whereas as DC point reservations it’s been more of a mid level floor.

klkaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two key point here are Wiaohai was sold with only two categories - ocean view and garden view. Lots of the OV have had little ocean view from the beginning. Some of the OV have been blocked by new construction and vegetation. I own there and do not go there anymore as the manager is focused on keeping the multiple week owners (4 or more) in their preferred ocean front villas every year. I had a several month discussion on management and room assignments to no avail. We were castigated by the front desk for adding points days to the beginning and ending of or week reservation ( better/cheaper/upgradeable flights) and it was our fault that our OV was bad.
The good news is that the lawn to the right of units are perfect for a small walk martini and cheese plate for sunset views. In addition the folksyou meet are delightful as well.
Bottom line is Wiaohai is a poorly run MVC location with only two bedroom units and limited good views. It is a quite location with good local snorkeling. While there are grocery stores the local restaurants are limited.

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Worldmark, WKORV
Thank you everyone for the responses! I have stayed at the resort before, so I know location, etc. We were in 2 bdrm island view through an II exchange, but for a paid stay I wanted OV.

After seeing some pictures and hearing responses, I’m even less sure what to do! View is very important to us, as well as beach access. But it sounds like we have about a .01% chance of getting a good view, but it sounds like booking with deeded week owners would be our best shot.

In our experience at KoOlina and other Marriott and Westin properties it doesn’t matter if owner occupied or rented out by owner - your room assignment is the same. It sounds like my experience may be different than others, from the comments in this thread.

Thanks again for the help!

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
B24E6DFF-4CCD-4E5F-A05F-DA2E37841F71.jpeg
0473C250-B304-4189-A81B-C7E2A3457D09.jpeg

So I figured it out how to reduce the size of the photos! Were on the second floor. I would choose this view over a bad OV any day.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses! I have stayed at the resort before, so I know location, etc. We were in 2 bdrm island view through an II exchange, but for a paid stay I wanted OV.

After seeing some pictures and hearing responses, I’m even less sure what to do! View is very important to us, as well as beach access. But it sounds like we have about a .01% chance of getting a good view, but it sounds like booking with deeded week owners would be our best shot.

In our experience at KoOlina and other Marriott and Westin properties it doesn’t matter if owner occupied or rented out by owner - your room assignment is the same. It sounds like my experience may be different than others, from the comments in this thread.

Thanks again for the help!

I think the odds are modestly better than you quote but tempered expectations would be appropriate. Those using the owned week are normally given the same priority as the owner themselves.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
At Waiohai, it appears most on TUG indicate a sub optimal view...whether OV or IV. As such, I'd agree with those who state to temper your expectations.

It's unclear for Waiohai..whether they use time stamp...or give priority to a deeded week owner for DC Pts reservation. With that said...I'd go for 13 month DC Pts reservation for that earlier timestamp..in case it matters. My gut says..both will have perhaps similar placement.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
View attachment 33028View attachment 33029
So I figured it out how to reduce the size of the photos! Were on the second floor. I would choose this view over a bad OV any day.

We had a similar view for what were supposed to be OV and were happy with it in the end, and no cars has been very nice. I agree about the desk staff/management in general.

This is the only time we have not gotten what II gave us for views (for 2 of 4 reservations here), and there was not the slightest bit of apology about it.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
This is Waiohai ocean view hale 8, top floor, reservation made 13 months out. We are long time OV owners at Waiohai (bought as it was just being built) and have had mostly good OV rooms. Once we had the dreaded Brenecke parking lot view but we called front desk and they were able to move us to to some other room that wasn’t bad. But one doesn’t really go to the Waiohai for the views unlike say MOC Napili or Lahaina towers where OF views are spectacular. For Waiohai, ask for hale 1 (good luck with this...like winning lottery unless you are multiple week owner), hale 8 or even hale 2 (2305,2405, 2304,2404) are good rooms with good views

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own island view. We always request to face the KOI pond, and although you can’t see the ocean, it’s lovely and not right by the pool noise.

klkaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
aland0524 - you proved what I stated - thank you. I agree that Hale 1 and 8 are great buildings but they are controlled via a collaboration of long time multi week owners and a corrupt management. Can you tell me how many weeks you own - it has to be two or greater to do week reservations at 13 months?